C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another MGW Shifter review

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Another MGW Shifter review

After the issues with my bolt finally got the car back together, the rain stopped and went for a drive.

First for those with the grinding 2nd gear I'm wondering if there is a problem with shifter placement from the factory. Due to another issue I had to get my shifter loose, then put it back and take the dealer. I had the cold/grinding issue myself.

After repositioning it I drove it to the dealer on a 45 degree day with no issues, same with the drive home. The only difference is the stock shifter was physically moved. Don't ask me where/how much but it was not back in the original location.

Back to the shifter.

The install is not difficult, a bit time consuming. I would I could do it in 90 minutes or so a 2nd time. My reinstall time was increased because I had 5 days between taking it apart and putting it back together and the wires under the console have to be run exactly like they were otherwise good luck getting it back together.

I did install the extra sound deadening and heat shielding even though neither of these were an issue with stock. Zero extra noise even with the top rubber isolator not on the shifter, that gets discarded with the install. Quiet as stock which is pretty amazing because having driven it without any of the interior in place its pretty loud. Shifts are short, positive, and click in place. It's a hair notchy but that may go away or it just might be the way that it is. Effort is slightly higher at low speeds, normal once under way.

Considering this is the first no-compromise shifter I've installed very happy with it. No added noise, vibration, heat, etc.

Hardest part of the install was the heat shield over the top. From the video's it looks like the C6 had way more room to work than the C7. I ended up trimming about 3" off of mine because it kept getting hung up trying to around the tunnel. I would suggest watching the video for the heat shield part just because although Theta's directions are excellent its hard to tell what goes where. The video for the C6 install shows you in about a minute what goes where.

You do have to wrestle down the shift **** to get the screw to line up, it doesn't just pop on.

Very high quality piece and makes the car feel much more complete.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-03-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I like mine as well. It seems like there is a more noticable difference in the way it shifts between the cold and warm transmission temps. Once it warms up the shifts are a bit more positive as you mentioned, and the way you described that they "click in place" matches my experience. The feel betweeen the gates is better than stock, but it will still take some practice for me to get a full on 2-3 shift right every time. They claim 30% shorter throw that should help with quicker shifts, but adds a bit more effort when "clicking" into gear. As you said, I don't think it's any louder than stock. It has a performance feel to it now that makes me want to get it on the track.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:59 AM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

My MGW has improved noticeably in smoothness and effort now that I have some miles on it. I guess I'd say it's worked itself in.

Hint: on the shift ****, I used just a tiny bit of the grease they supply on the end of the shaft and inside the ****. This made the installation/removal of the **** for alignment MUCH easier, and much easier to finally put on.

Get notified of new replies

To Another MGW Shifter review

Quick Reply: Another MGW Shifter review