C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracking noise where windshield and removable top meet on coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:32 AM
D.BOV1217
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking noise where windshield and removable top meet on coupe

I have a constant "cracking noise" while driving. It happens all the time over approximately 15 mph. It increases with any slight dip or bump in the road. It is located where the removable top (Coupe) meets the windshield. It does not ever go away. Does anyone else have that issue, and the potential fix? I've removed and reinstalled the top a dozen times, cleaned the rubber gaskets, added silicone, etc...It does not get any better. Thank you. Don
Old 09-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

keep the top off all the time.

see your dealer and use the warranty that came free with the car you paid for.

trade or sell it.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by D.BOV1217
I have a constant "cracking noise" while driving. It happens all the time over approximately 15 mph. It increases with any slight dip or bump in the road. It is located where the removable top (Coupe) meets the windshield. It does not ever go away. Does anyone else have that issue, and the potential fix? I've removed and reinstalled the top a dozen times, cleaned the rubber gaskets, added silicone, etc...It does not get any better. Thank you. Don
This was a common problem with some of the C6s and was a simple fix with some Home Depot e clips and a little grease. However, I've been advised that that fix probably won't work with the C7. And BTW, I have the same problem and believe it's more common than published here.

I've been advised to check the tightness of the handle bolts, that some were loose. Also make sure the roof panel is flush on the outside at the top of the windshield due to brackets set so the panel is sub-flushed. If it's sub-flush it can cause creaking. In addition, you can try some lube on the latch receiver and you can try some clear laminate polyester or felt on the surface of the receiver where the handle engages because some brackets had a surface finish issue and caused some creaking.

I got this info from someone I respect highly.

Guess we have to experiment with this little glitch. That's how the e clip
fix came about with the C6s. Please share if you've be able to resolve this. I haven't had the time to try anything yet.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:55 PM
WTFvette
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
This was a common problem with some of the C6s and was a simple fix with some Home Depot e clips and a little grease. However, I've been advised that that fix probably won't work with the C7. And BTW, I have the same problem and believe it's more common than published here.

I've been advised to check the tightness of the handle bolts, that some were loose. Also make sure the roof panel is flush on the outside at the top of the windshield due to brackets set so the panel is sub-flushed. If it's sub-flush it can cause creaking. In addition, you can try some lube on the latch receiver and you can try some clear laminate polyester or felt on the surface of the receiver where the handle engages because some brackets had a surface finish issue and caused some creaking.

I got this info from someone I respect highly.

Guess we have to experiment with this little glitch. That's how the e clip
fix came about with the C6s. Please share if you've be able to resolve this. I haven't had the time to try anything yet.

I have the same issue. noise is driving me nuts. Will take to dealer soon. I hope it is fixable
Old 09-21-2014, 02:28 AM
blackcoupeguy
Intermediate

I used a dab of dialectric grease on the rubber mouldings to eliminate "chaffing" of the seals, and also had to tighten the rear hatch latch 1 turn down to pull the hatch tighter to the rear. Noise went away, and has stayed gone for 2000 miles now!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by blackcoupeguy
I used a dab of dialectric grease on the rubber mouldings to eliminate "chaffing" of the seals, and also had to tighten the rear hatch latch 1 turn down to pull the hatch tighter to the rear. Noise went away, and has stayed gone for 2000 miles now!
I found that if the weatherstripping is dirty (particularly in the front), it can cause such noise. So before I put the top back on, I wipe down the weatherstripping with some silicon spray and a rag to clean any dust/dirt off first. (don't use petroleum based cleaner/lube on the weatherstripping)
Old 09-22-2014, 02:19 AM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same issue with my roof panel so I had it serviced by a GM tech at Corvettes at Carlisle. The panel was removed and all surfaces on the roof panel, windshield seal and rear support seal were cleaned with a GM cleaner. The latching handles on the roof panel were checked for proper torque, 18 foot pounds. Mine needed only a little tightening. A special GM lubricant was used on the front seal along the windshield and rear seals. It was not grease, more of a clear, hard substance, similar to a wax. That cured the problem. One other thing to check is the hook on the rear latch. It can be adjusted by using a small hex wrench to loosen the bolt that locks the threaded hook in place. The hook can be turned so that it will pull the roof panel tight against the rear seal. If there is very little effort needed to secure the rear latch try making a small adjustment so that there is some effort needed to secure the latch. A tight fit will prevent the panel from moving around. I've got some photos of the work being done and will post one or two shortly.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Shortimer; 09-22-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:49 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks for another timely suggestion. Hope we all get this seemingly isolated problem remedied.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 PM
D.BOV1217
Heel & Toe

Thank you to all who posted here ! I tried a few of the suggestions (1) item at a time. The suggestion that fixed the problem for me was using dielectric grease ($5.75 for the tube at Advanced Auto Parts). I turned the top over and put a small amount on the plastic part of the top where it impacts the weatherstripping above the windshield. This helped, but the actual 100% fix was adding more of the same grease to the area where the front alignment pins for the top go into position. I also put some on the small 3" "shelf" that surrounds the alignment hole. It took less than 10 minutes and the noise is completely gone! Sincere thanks again ! Don
Old 09-24-2014, 12:40 PM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you to all who posted here ! I tried a few of the suggestions (1) item at a time. The suggestion that fixed the problem for me was using dielectric grease ($5.75 for the tube at Advanced Auto Parts). I turned the top over and put a small amount on the plastic part of the top where it impacts the weatherstripping above the windshield. This helped, but the actual 100% fix was adding more of the same grease to the area where the front alignment pins for the top go into position. I also put some on the small 3" "shelf" that surrounds the alignment hole. It took less than 10 minutes and the noise is completely gone! Sincere thanks again ! Don
Hmm, I am tempted as mine has terrible creaking and cracking noises (especially after a hot day in the sun, no problems in the morning). But don't you get grease all over yourself and your clothes when you handle it taking it off and putting it back on again?
Old 09-24-2014, 11:55 PM
barryh
Advanced

I have the exact same problem, but only with my clear top, NOT with the body-color top. I have noticed that one of the latching handles requires a lot more effort than the other one. I'm going to try Shortimer's suggestion and fiddle with the latch handle torque.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips.

Quick thinking Shortimer to have the GM Techs take a look at it while at Carlisle. Not only did you get your top fixed, but you learned something about the problem. Thanks for taking the second step and sharing it with us her on the Forum. Hopefully this will keep some folks from racing in to the dealer for the "fix".
Old 09-28-2014, 03:50 AM
barryh
Advanced

Originally Posted by barryh
I have the exact same problem, but only with my clear top, NOT with the body-color top. I have noticed that one of the latching handles requires a lot more effort than the other one. I'm going to try Shortimer's suggestion and fiddle with the latch handle torque.
Fixed my creaky, crackling clear top by tightening the rear latch hook! A really easy fix after I found my 5/64 allen key.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:52 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

That's Brittany George at Carlisle working with Paul Koerner The Corvette Mechanic

They do these seminars at Carlisle, bowling Green, and Mid America fun feast.

I cant remember what other big shows they do these seminars but they are always helpful and it's a good time too.

Get notified of new replies

To Cracking noise where windshield and removable top meet on coupe

Quick Reply: Cracking noise where windshield and removable top meet on coupe