C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Atomic Air Force aftermarket intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default MSD Atomic Air Force aftermarket intake manifold

I picked up 30whp without a tune on my highly ported LT1 manifold so I can't wait to compare it to this one. I'm also in the midst of having a sheet metal intake manifold made.

From BangShift
Wow! Another SEMA show and another year of MSD dropping a major product release on the world. This year, that product is the new MSD Atomic Air Force intake manifolds for GM LS and LT series engines . MSD teamed up with Clemson University on the development of this product and used some of the most advanced modeling and design techniques known to man to come up with a design that has shown some major gains in power not only on their own dyno but on the chassis dyno at Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

The two piece polymer intake manifold allows super easy access for porting both the bottom and the “top” of the intake. Of course by “the top” we mean the awesome bell-mouthed runners that provide a nearly straight shot to the valve, delivering loads of air right where its needed. Lightweight and strong, we asked MSD if this was a suitable package for accepting boost and they responded that the design will respond very favorably to boost and it is just as strong or stronger as other competitors on the market. We couldn’t nail them down on a maximum boost number but they said that the piece is just as strong as what’s out there now and will serve the needs of the vast majority of street boosted applications.

The LS intake (not sure about LT) can accept up to a 103mm throttle body as well as stock or aftermarket fuel rails. If you want to you can even use the MSD Atomic LS fuel rails to complete the package. Oh, and for you nitrous guys, there are bosses already integrated into the intake manifold that just need to be tapped for your nozzles and you can spray until your little heart’s delight. How’s that for covering the bases. NA, nitrous, and boost are all part of the program with the MSD Atomic Air Force intake.

To be specific, there are models and part numbers available for the following engines: LS1, 2, 3, 6, 7, L99, and the new LT1 series. When asked of the price point for the product MSD told us that it would be priced competitively with other performance LS and LT series intakes on the market today. Take that for what you will and we’ll keep an eye out on pricing as those details are released.

Once again MSD Performance has come to the show with something to brag about. They’ve made this a habit over the last several years and each time it has led to a real success story for the company. Don’t worry…we’ve already begged them for one to test and believe it or not, they agreed! Stay tuned, this is going to be fun.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Andy Sziraki
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohh man!!!!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

WOW! Thats some serious up-grades right there...

Just when you thought it couldnt get any better, BAM!

Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Old 11-07-2014, 04:44 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Sounds pretty slick...but they can keep the el cheapo atomic airforce logo.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

$1100 bucks for the LT1 version; 17 hp over stock without a tune or other changes. Interesting. I wonder how it will respond with a CAI and a tune package around it.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Too bad they only announced the release of the LS version being late January. No mention of the release time for the LT1. Either way, I just saw another $1000 or so of my money get spent..
Old 11-07-2014, 11:13 PM
randyn
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey,

I saw that you were having a sheet metal intake.

I went down your path 10 years ago when the LS6 first came out. Solid roller cam by Bullit. The heads flowed great until we clamped that stock plastic intake. Taking a little motor and adding great heads contradicts stock intakes. So, we added the sheet metal and moved the peak power to 8300 rpm. Motor really should have been at least 13:0.

I was wondering when those 400 CFM heads would be too much for your 427 CI motor. You just need lots of compression and an additional 2,000 RPM. Then, that motor will really scream.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:21 PM
randyn
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I forgot to mention. If you are serious about having an intake made, check out Wilson Manifolds. I must admit, a 8500 rpm small block makes for an extremely enjoyable time roll racing against Lambos and other exotics. Small blacks really sound good up there!!

Randy
Old 11-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Yes that plastic intake was and still is choking the engine along with the 87mm TB. Working on that one as well.

I spoke to Wilson and they wanted me to basically fund their R&D by sending my heads to digitize and pay for the manifold design, somewhere in the neighbor hood of 6 grand LOL. For that I'd just do a blower.

I have another very well known mfgr interested that I will surely be very happy with as I've seen his work on many LS motors.

As for my CR, yes it's already nearly 13:1 but the direct port NOS is filling the gaps for now
Old 11-13-2014, 04:58 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Sheet metal intakes are great but tend to have very short runners which hampers low end performance. Also then plenum sizes aren't always that great. The MSD design address both these issues whilst still giving better, than stock, airflow.

As for the best intake on ANY engine (even boosted) it has to be ITBs!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:31 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

So good to see the upgrades coming for the LT1. I am going to start collecting parts for my NA build in the spring. This looks like a good piece to go with the head and cams.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Sheet metal intakes are great but tend to have very short runners which hampers low end performance. Also then plenum sizes aren't always that great. The MSD design address both these issues whilst still giving better, than stock, airflow.

As for the best intake on ANY engine (even boosted) it has to be ITBs!

I am looking at this MSD intake for that exact reason. My ported LS3 intake makes more HP & Torque up to 5600 RPM then the same engine with a sheet metal intake. Above 5600 RPM the sheet metal intake starts making big gains . Average HP from 4000 RPM to 6500 RPM were nearly the same. I would like to have one to test but I understand that the LS3 intake will not be ready until mid April.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:08 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by C6RAPTOR

I am looking at this MSD intake for that exact reason. My ported LS3 intake makes more HP & Torque up to 5600 RPM then the same engine with a sheet metal intake. Above 5600 RPM the sheet metal intake starts making big gains . Average HP from 4000 RPM to 6500 RPM were nearly the same. I would like to have one to test but I understand that the LS3 intake will not be ready until mid April.
that would explain why I have made half a dozen calls/emails about the LT1 and gotten 0 responses lol
Old 12-12-2014, 09:53 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
that would explain why I have made half a dozen calls/emails about the LT1 and gotten 0 responses lol
I just went to Summit's website and added one to my cart for my 2014 LT1 and it said it had 0 in stock but if I ordered it today, the tentative ship date would be 01/09/2015. I'm interested in it but there's not much out there regarding documentation other than the product announcement itself.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:02 AM
jwcater
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, is there a 103mm throttle body available for the LT1?

Nice to have something that will accept a 103mm throttle body but is one available for the LT1?
Old 12-15-2014, 05:49 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C6RAPTOR

It looks like FAST has a new manifold to one up the MSD

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...for-102mm.html
Old 12-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

C6RAPTOR,

PM sent..

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Atomic Air Force aftermarket intake manifold

Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

This is great news! Excited to see some real world dyno results
Old 01-16-2015, 11:05 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Did anyone take the plunge on the MSD yet?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:59 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by officermartinez
Did anyone take the plunge on the MSD yet?
I havent seen it publicly available yet..

Quick Reply: MSD Atomic Air Force aftermarket intake manifold