C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Add NPP Switch - True Manual On/Off Valve Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:55 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Theta,
Please see my attached .jpg scan of my thoughts on using the "add a circuit" for your solderless idea.
You would not need to fabricate the "double" jumper piece. Simply put the original 20 amp NPP fuse in the top slots of the "add a circuit" and plug your single plug lead into the bottom, right side slot of the "add a circuit".
What do you think. I have not purchased an "add a circuit" so I have not verified its' internal wiring.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2015, 02:27 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Great info...great write up.
I had similar thoughts but with one difference, I wanted to keep the relocated 20 amp NPP fuse under the hood and on the +12v side of the wiring coming from the fuse panel. I'm a little **** and my reason being that if the wiring coming into the cabin ever chaffed enough to short to ground, that it would be protected. I'll explain what I mean by "+12v side of the wiring coming from the fuse panel". With the NPP fuse removed and with the car running, you take a volt meter and check each of the two fuse socket pin holes, one of them will measure +12 volts to ground. That's the wire I'd want the new fuse socket to be on.
Again kudos.
The AGC I used inside at the switch isn't an AutoZone part, so I ripped it out to re-do it with the new hardware.

I understand what you mean, though - I placed the AGC (or ATM - I will give the choice based on preference) right before the switch for the ease of diagnosis. You're suggesting putting the fuse on the +12v hot from the box before it enters the cabin (and preferably inside the box). This is a very good idea, and as I've not put the fuse info up yet, I believe I will do this for the sake of safety.

Reading your other post now - good stuff.

Last edited by Theta; 03-31-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Theta,
Please see my attached .jpg scan of my thoughts on using the "add a circuit" for your solderless idea.
You would not need to fabricate the "double" jumper piece. Simply put the original 20 amp NPP fuse in the top slots of the "add a circuit" and plug your single plug lead into the bottom, right side slot of the "add a circuit".
What do you think. I have not purchased an "add a circuit" so I have not verified its' internal wiring.
Your thinking is spot-on. By not having the fuse in the cabin, we can do what you propose and save time and money on wiring in the additional AGC/ATC/ATM fuse.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Now that I've found an additional two sources for the Micro2 Add-A-Fuse, I may eliminate the solder method - it requires more work, tools, and time. In addition, since the fuse will now be located within the box, it actually becomes a bigger pain-in-the-butt than the Add-A-Fuse.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Everyone always wanted soldered connections, but now with Micro2 tap options out there, that route sure looks a lot better...
Old 03-31-2015, 04:55 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Originally Posted by Theta
Now that I've found an additional two sources for the Micro2 Add-A-Fuse, I may eliminate the solder method - it requires more work, tools, and time. In addition, since the fuse will now be located within the box, it actually becomes a bigger pain-in-the-butt than the Add-A-Fuse.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Everyone always wanted soldered connections, but now with Micro2 tap options out there, that route sure looks a lot better...
That's what I think too. No soldering, no need to buy a fuse to destroy, less construction, and it would be quick to return to original configuration if needed.
I like the lighted switch and the location you chose for it. Looking forward to your final tutorial.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

That's what I think too. No soldering, no need to buy a fuse to destroy, less construction, and it would be quick to return to original configuration if needed.
I like the lighted switch and the location you chose for it. Looking forward to your final tutorial.
Agreed. I will post the alternate (Amazon and eBay) links, and add some other appropriate switches available, as well.

AutoZone is just rolling out the Bussmann Micro Add-A-Circuits (not in all stores yet), so it's easier to pick either one or 3 up from Amazon with Prime shipping.

I got caught up in having the switch inside (my gauge fuses are AGC, but a pain to get to), and forgot how easily the existing 20A would be to use. Thanks for taking the time to draw that up - it's always easier for us to draw than it is to write out an explanation... Well, unless it's an equation - though I still normally take a photo of my scribbles, as well.

This has to be the weirdest tutorial for people watching, in that it's changed so much. Thought about bringing it down and re-tooling, but input like this is very much welcome and appreciated.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:16 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

This might be one more concern. The "tap a fuse" I looked at only had a 10 amp rating.
I get paranoid about putting a 20 amp fuse in a 10 amp rated "tap a fuse".
Old 03-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

This might be one more concern. The "tap a fuse" I looked at only had a 10 amp rating.
I get paranoid about putting a 20 amp fuse in a 10 amp rated "tap a fuse".
Yep, noted that before even buying it. Engineer in me said "wait, melted wiring".

Checked with Bussmann, and then looked at the other taps online. 25A is the actual maximum. The lead attached is a 16AWG, and 16AWG is rated for 20A at up to 10 feet in 12V circuits (25A @ 6ft). Past that, it drops to 15A at 16ft, etc. We'll be using 6-7 feet of wire after the cutting (starting out with 10, and trimming way down), so we're well within the guidelines of safety.

Since they didn't use 14ga, this was a liability limiter. Additional fun fact is that the 2A designation is silly, since a 1A is perfectly fine.

And even more odd is that GM used a 20A fuse on the valves, as the measured current is around 4A during actuation. Sometimes engineering teams baffle me.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Funny enough, I just saw that this (nearly exact) mod was done on the C6 8 years ago. Nothing new here, just a different set of part numbers and a new section for everyone.

More pictures, though.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

And even more odd is that GM used a 20A fuse on the valves, as the measured current is around 4A during actuation. Sometimes engineering teams baffle me.
My guess is that while the motors pull 4 amps, they probably have an 8 to 10 amp start up surge. Add some extra so it's not accidentally blown & ya need a 20 amp fuse.
In all reality the 10 amp "tap a fuse" will probably be okay but now I've played the paranoia card. Will a 20 or 25 amp rated "tap a fuse" fit under the closed fuse box lid?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

My guess is that while the motors pull 4 amps, they probably have an 8 to 10 amp start up surge. Add some extra so it's not accidentally blown & ya need a 20 amp fuse.
In all reality the 10 amp "tap a fuse" will probably be okay but now I've played the paranoia card. Will a 20 or 25 amp rated "tap a fuse" fit under the closed fuse box lid?
You're right - it's for the inrush current. They could still limit it, but it's one of those 'who cares' items since it's external and a simple circuit.

A 20-Amp rated tap is identical to this one - just a branding and spec difference. To give you an idea of marketing on the Add-a-Fuse, here's the exact setup on Amazon with a 20A rating:
Amazon.com: FAST SHIPPING* ADD-A-CIRCUIT ATR MICRO2 FUSE-TAP Add ON DUAL CIRCUIT ADAPTER AUTO CAR TERMINAL + 5 AMP Fuse: Car Electronics Amazon.com: FAST SHIPPING* ADD-A-CIRCUIT ATR MICRO2 FUSE-TAP Add ON DUAL CIRCUIT ADAPTER AUTO CAR TERMINAL + 5 AMP Fuse: Car Electronics

Note that it uses the same 16ga 5" lead. The cheaper Chinese clones are rated at 30A, but I'm guessing that's just because they saw that you can shove a 30A in the socket. Don't mix 30A with 16ga wire, folks.

We're good on terminal material (it's not thin like a maimed circuit would be), and the lengths noted before assume a 20% margin of error. You can actually use 18ga with 20A for up to 5ft runs, but I personally wouldn't.

Here's an AWG chart summary @ 12 Volts:

Name:  GoOj0O1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  191.1 KB
Old 03-31-2015, 06:58 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

I believe you have a winner.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I believe you have a winner.
Always good to have another pair of eyes on things like that - nobody wants a wiring fault that leads to a nasty fire.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Awesome work as always Theta!

If you are able to find out, can you add the part number for the trim piece drilled for the switch? I will eventually do this and I always like buying replacement OEM parts for the ones I modify.

Last edited by xp800; 03-31-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Looking / sounding good so far.

I hate crimp connectors, though, so I'll either solder them or use Posi-Locks where butt connectors are needed. Posi-Locks inside the fuse box will also make it really easy to disconnect everything in the fuse box and set back to stock before a trip to the dealer.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing the rest.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Looking / sounding good so far.

I hate crimp connectors, though, so I'll either solder them or use Posi-Locks where butt connectors are needed. Posi-Locks inside the fuse box will also make it really easy to disconnect everything in the fuse box and set back to stock before a trip to the dealer.

Thanks. Look forward to seeing the rest.
Totally understand - I'm a solder guy, myself.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:47 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

so.... would we be able to use this to actuate the NPP valves on a non NPP car that added NPP mufflers with actuators after the fact?

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Add NPP Switch - True Manual On/Off Valve Control

Old 03-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by xp800
Awesome work as always Theta!

If you are able to find out, can you add the part number for the trim piece drilled for the switch? I will eventually do this and I always like buying replacement OEM parts for the ones I modify.
In typical fashion, there are four part numbers for this one piece in the EPC. Two are for the right hand side, and two for the left. Of the two on the left, one is cheap, and one is expensive. Both show the same position, etc... I'll work on figuring it out for you.

Name:  Nc2HMr3l.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  3tAslBg.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  43.4 KB
Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by FYREANT
so.... would we be able to use this to actuate the NPP valves on a non NPP car that added NPP mufflers with actuators after the fact?
This would only be for factory-NPP cars. If the NPP conversions end up getting figured out with regard to the PWM and CCM, then you could do something similar.

I'm not sure if the non-NPP cars have Fuse 41/42 actually leading anywhere, assuming it has a pinned slot in the first place.

I tried to figure that one out a while ago, but it will come down to a PWM converter and a switched relay to bypass the CCM - pretty positive of that.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:04 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

This would only be for factory-NPP cars. If the NPP conversions end up getting figured out with regard to the PWM and CCM, then you could do something similar.

I'm not sure if the non-NPP cars have Fuse 41/42 actually leading anywhere, assuming it has a pinned slot in the first place.

I tried to figure that one out a while ago, but it will come down to a PWM converter and a switched relay to bypass the CCM - pretty positive of that.
well crap. I was hoping that you had that figured out too as part of your DIY. oh wells..

Quick Reply: DIY: Add NPP Switch - True Manual On/Off Valve Control