C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Add NPP Switch - True Manual On/Off Valve Control

Old 03-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by FYREANT
well crap. I was hoping that you had that figured out too as part of your DIY. oh wells..
I will take a look into the progress of that. I have to remember back to what we discussed regarding how the valves acted when exposed to voltage directly.

The last time I looked into it, we were talking about using a rather large PWM generator on a 12v relay. Kind of stepped out after that, so I'll need to open that back up and look around.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:09 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Finally cleaned up the parts section, so that's looking good - alternatives added, and the list looks complete. Back to full emphasis on the wiring guide, then back again to how to wire in the resistor - that's going to be fun without soldering.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Theta
I will take a look into the progress of that. I have to remember back to what we discussed regarding how the valves acted when exposed to voltage directly.

The last time I looked into it, we were talking about using a rather large PWM generator on a 12v relay. Kind of stepped out after that, so I'll need to open that back up and look around.
Awesome. thanks man. I can try to help anyway possible, though I am not an electrical engineer, I've got a can-do attitude lol
Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 AM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Looking good, Theta. I like what you did with the shrink wrap to help keep that single lug connection in place. That didn't look very stable otherwise.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:59 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

pardon my ignorance, but ive seen this topic develop since the '14 dropped and the 'word' all along was that you couldn't do it like you could the c6 and here i see it is basically identical situation, remove fuse, add switch (and fuse).

what did i miss? sorry for not reading all pages.

now what I need to know is how to add or activate the wiring for a non npp car to run npp mufflers please and thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
pardon my ignorance, but ive seen this topic develop since the '14 dropped and the 'word' all along was that you couldn't do it like you could the c6 and here i see it is basically identical situation, remove fuse, add switch (and fuse).

what did i miss? sorry for not reading all pages.
Nothing, really. On page 2, I made reference to the fact that someone did nearly the exact same thing 8 years ago. So, I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel. Just different sizes of things, part numbers - different way to skin another similar cat.

I could do about 20 of these mods in the time it's taken me to do the write-up. Pictures, descriptions, part numbers, etc. are all a pretty big pain to organize into one coherent thread that anyone here can easily follow. Sometimes it's just a matter of sitting down and copying everything from your brain onto paper (or bits in this case) - I'm sure you know this from your catch can instructions, etc.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
now what I need to know is how to add or activate the wiring for a non npp car to run npp mufflers please and thanks
This is a pretty hot topic - over the last year, I've probably gotten 30 PMs regarding this. It's the same thing FYREANT was hoping for, and I'd like to do this next. I need a valve to work with, and it will take a little time. We can't do anything with the CCM, so it will have to be a switch and PWM generator relay.

Last edited by Theta; 04-01-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:22 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Received 95 Likes on 41 Posts

Tools Needed:
  • 7mm Socket (For fender liner bolt removal)
  • 8mm Socket (For fender liner bolt removal)
  • 10mm Socket (For fender liner/underdash bolt removal)
  • T15 Torx Socket/Bit (For fender liner bolt removal)
[LIST]
Theta,
Have you looked at the installation video of the "Curb Alert"? It shows routing wires from the under hood fuse box back into the cabin without removing any bolts. Look at it from the 8:45 through the 9:30.

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 04-01-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
Theta,
Have you looked at the installation video of the "Curb Alert"? It shows routing wires from the under hood fuse box back into the cabin without removing any bolts. Look at it from the 8:45 through the 9:30.
I've seen that method used on a few different installs now, but I loathe the idea of sending voltage around body panels (even when hidden) instead of using proper routing through the firewall. It's a little harder to get it through the passenger side opening of that area, but not impossible.

Perhaps I can have this as an option for people who don't want to remove the wheel liner, as it will also require the wheel to come out (and a jack needs to be added to the parts required list in doing that).

I guess it comes down to what people would rather do - spend more time on the wheel well/firewall method, or less time on the 'outside the car' method. Always compromises with any method, unfortunately...
Old 04-01-2015, 06:27 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

I've seen that method used on a few different installs now, but I loathe the idea of sending voltage around body panels (even when hidden) instead of using proper routing through the firewall. It's a little harder to get it through the passenger side opening of that area, but not impossible.

Perhaps I can have this as an option for people who don't want to remove the wheel liner, as it will also require the wheel to come out (and a jack needs to be added to the parts required list in doing that).

I guess it comes down to what people would rather do - spend more time on the wheel well/firewall method, or less time on the 'outside the car' method. Always compromises with any method, unfortunately...
I think if I encase mine in 1/4" flexible plastic conduit from the switch to the fuse box (plus it's fuse protected) it'll be okay.
One more thing I thought of.....when you plug the "add a circuit" into the fuse box, it could plug in one of two different ways (180 degree rotation). If plugged in the wrong way, the fuse won't be on the +12V lead, that is, the fuse won't be on the battery side of the switch. I guess I said that right. The circuit would function correctly either way but the fuse would be in place after the added switch circuit.
(Maybe I better go sit down).

Last edited by grandpawmoses; 04-01-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

One more thing I thought of.....when you plug the "add a circuit" into the fuse box, it could plug in one of two different ways (180 degree rotation). If plugged in the wrong way, the fuse won't be on the +12V lead, that is, the fuse won't be on the battery side of the switch. I guess I said that right. The circuit would function correctly either way but the fuse would be in place after the added switch circuit.
(Maybe I better go sit down).
Absolutely valid thought. Before posting those installation pictures, I tested the circuit to find the 'common' +12v, and the left side is hot. This is much better than having the right hot, as that would really have caused some ugly routing issues flipping the assembly upside down!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Good news also on the NPP conversion front - looks like I'll be able to move forward on that research shortly. I have everything drawn up and the proof of concept completed.

Now, to get everything in front of me with the right equipment...

But first, I need to finish up this install thread!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 AM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Absolutely valid thought. Before posting those installation pictures, I tested the circuit to find the 'common' +12v, and the left side is hot. This is much better than having the right hot, as that would really have caused some ugly routing issues flipping the assembly upside down!
I was sure you had. Just wanted to throw that out there in case someone following your work decided they might plug it in the other way. Thanks again for the good work. We all know it took a lot of your time and we appreciate it.
GPM
Old 04-02-2015, 12:04 PM
ckosiek
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but how does this mod differ from the sound management options offered in the driving mode menu on the touchscreen?
Thanks,
Charlie
Old 04-02-2015, 12:07 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by ckosiek
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but how does this mod differ from the sound management options offered in the driving mode menu on the touchscreen?
Thanks,
Charlie
Some light reading:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-result.html
Old 04-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by xp800
Some light reading
Old 04-02-2015, 02:48 PM
3pitbulls
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really considering this on my new Z51 NPP c7..Theta can you help me on finishing up the rest of wiring going to switch. ..inside the car...thanks..
Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Sorry, doing that now - spent yesterday designing a circuit and buying new lab equipment to make the non-NPP to NPP mod (and in the process, a 3-position full-control circuit for the racing guys) a reality.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: Add NPP Switch - True Manual On/Off Valve Control

Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 PM
meyerweb
Safety Car

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

Sorry, doing that now - spent yesterday designing a circuit and buying new lab equipment to make the non-NPP to NPP mod (and in the process, a 3-position full-control circuit for the racing guys) a reality.
Don't apologize. You're doing us all a big favor. We can wait.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:51 PM
grandpawmoses
Race Director

Well, I ran in to a problem with the switch location. I had to order the "add-a-circuit" so I decided to go ahead and install the wiring and the switch (I chose the same switch and location you are using). The problem is that when the infotainment screen goes down, it hits the switch. When the infotainment screen down, there's 1/2 inch clearance from it to the little side panel where I mounted the switch. I don't see much room to move the switch down (allowing for the console left side trim overlapping the little side panel). I'm going to take a fresh look at it in the morning & see what I come up with.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Well, I ran in to a problem with the switch location. I had to order the "add-a-circuit" so I decided to go ahead and install the wiring and the switch (I chose the same switch and location you are using). The problem is that when the infotainment screen goes down, it hits the switch. When the infotainment screen down, there's 1/2 inch clearance from it to the little side panel where I mounted the switch. I don't see much room to move the switch down (allowing for the console left side trim overlapping the little side panel). I'm going to take a fresh look at it in the morning & see what I come up with.
I'm actually fighting that now. The solution I'm working on now involves flag disconnects. Trim the leads and use flags - that gives you the extra space. Found flags at AutoZone, as well.

That's that kind of thing that makes these take forever - we find out weird stuff like this along the way. The screen shouldn't be that far back, but it looks like it turns in a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Add NPP Switch - True Manual On/Off Valve Control