C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elite E2 Catch Can Results 2015 Z51 A8

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 PM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Elite E2 Catch Can Results 2015 Z51 A8

Installed the Elite E2 single outlet @800 miles in my 2015 Z51 A8. Changed factory fill oil @500 miles with Penzoil Ultra. Verified no oil in the intake tube @500 miles and again @1800 miles (installed aFe CAI). Did not inspect inside intake manifold at either time. Installation was a breeze.

So the results... After 1000 miles, there is about 1 tablespoon of oil. Pretty clean too. Picture makes it look dirtier than it really was. Bottom line is that I'm glad I have it, but others seem to have caught a lot more than me.

BACKGROUND:

Opted not to get oil separator for dry sump cap since I personally believe it only helps for dry sump oil foaming on the factory fill oil. For severe overfill, not much is going to help keep from pushing liquid into the intake through the burp line. I also only got the single outlet for my Z51 since I believe there's more than enough vacuum at WOT given the PCV vacuum tube that crosses the mouth of the intake manifold. The location of it appears to be at the highest velocity point of the intake flow, and the air crossing the PCV tube opening at high velocity causes vacuum. I can't think of a reason for GM to have put that "obstruction" where it is from a "free flow" perspective. I believe it's the vacuum at WOT. (see pic below pointing to the tube I'm talking about).

For reference, my '14 Z51 M7 @2200 miles had at LEAST 1/2 cup of liquid oil in the intake from the burp line. This was with the factory fill oil. It was at most 1/4 quart overfilled from factory on delivery (I did the PDI with dealer, and no oil was added). This was also before the updated 500 mile dry sump service interval announcement. I drove the first 500 break-in miles as recommended in the manual, then to 2200 with only occasional spirited driving. Loved downshifting though...this may also make things worse.

My current 2015 Z51 A8 was broken-in the same way, but oil changed at 500 miles. ZERO liquid oil in intake tube. Not even any oily film in the tube. Now at 1800 miles, installed the aFe CAI, and again zero oil or film. But also had the catch can... Wonder if the A8 and no frequent downshifting/engine braking also made it better?

Video of removing the can cup for inspection. No bolt loosening required!

http://vid581.photobucket.com/albums...pssc0hanv1.mp4

Last edited by xp800; 08-11-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by xp800
For reference, my '14 Z51 M7 @2200 miles had at LEAST 1/2 cup of liquid oil in the intake from the burp line. This was with the factory fill oil. It was at most 1/4 quart overfilled from factory on delivery (I did the PDI with dealer, and no oil was added).
That's what I was thinking about with your last one - much better results this time around.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:53 PM
xp800
Drifting

Update: after 2000 miles since last drain, I had about 1.5oz. So just a tad more than what I drained after 1000 miles.

Very easy to drain without loosening mount so long as you don't over tighten the bowl. You can feel the o-ring engage and I stop as soon as the bowl stops on the shoulder. There's about 3-4mm clearance between the bottom of the bowl and the lower steering shaft U-joint when bowl is loose. Then walk it out between the two rubber hoses. Drain, wipe, repeat.

Very satisfied!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:39 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I have the same Elite can mine is mounted like yours, on mine I moved the ground wire to one of the other bolts on that same bracket, I felt it would ground better than on the aluminum of the catch can.

I don't know if you agree but I would think it is easier to run that one bolt out to gain access to turn off the catch can bowl for cleaning.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
I have the same Elite can mine is mounted like yours, on mine I moved the ground wire to one of the other bolts on that same bracket, I felt it would ground better than on the aluminum of the catch can.

I don't know if you agree but I would think it is easier to run that one bolt out to gain access to turn off the catch can bowl for cleaning.
Hi Bob,

In the way I have mine mounted, I do not loosen the bolt to unscrew the cup. My bracket is swiveled forward a bit rather than being at a right angle to the frame, and I don't tighten the cup past just stopping. Maybe this helps? It's also quite feasible that there is a small amount of build variation that gives me a couple mm more room to drop the cup. If I was better at YouTube, I'd try to upload a video...

Edit: added a picture of the top view and a video.

As for ground, the bolt itself I think is the conductor that carries into the threaded hole. The face of the tapped hole on the frame was fully painted on mine, so I opted to just leave it on top of the bracket. It seemed to me 'no worse' with the Elite bracket in the stack. Could be wrong there too, but so far no electrical gremlins...uh oh...jinxed myself.

Last edited by xp800; 08-11-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:15 PM
xp800
Drifting

Updated with a video...

http://vid581.photobucket.com/albums...pssc0hanv1.mp4
Old 08-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

So you'd say this is a good catch can vs rx catch can .. It its equally same
Old 08-12-2015, 05:11 PM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by Seannyc
So you'd say this is a good catch can vs rx catch can .. It its equally same
I'm not sure I can make the conclusion that it's better/worse than the RX. For my needs on an essentially "stock" application, I am more than pleased. I did look at RX before purchasing mine, but I felt that the extra expense, heavy duty appearance, and cost were a bit too much for my needs. Maybe the RX performs better, but mine seems to be working well for me.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Here's my latest "catch" from 3,000 highway miles using a Standard Elite for a base C7. 10,500 miles now and this is consist with the two previous oil changes.
I should add I'm only filling with 6.25 quarts of oil which is half way on the stick. This would eliminate the argument that the engine is overfilled and pushing out excess oil.

Last edited by John Ulrich; 08-12-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:20 AM
xp800
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Here's my latest "catch" from 3,000 highway miles using a Standard Elite for a base C7. 10,500 miles now and this is consist with the two previous oil changes.
I should add I'm only filling with 6.25 quarts of oil which is half way on the stick. This would eliminate the argument that the engine is overfilled and pushing out excess oil.
Thanks for sharing! Looks quite similar to mine. My very rough average has been 1oz per 1000 miles. Yours looks similar.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the cooler/cold weather into November.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:26 AM
stanklr
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xp800
Thanks for sharing! Looks quite similar to mine. My very rough average has been 1oz per 1000 miles. Yours looks similar.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the cooler/cold weather into November.
Mine looks the same as well on a base 2016 Manual C7, too much oil got collected i the catch can.

Quick questions:
1- Oil over filling issue, is it limited to Z51 cars or Base cars as well??

2- When i removed the "Outlet" tube from the catch can, it leaked some oil? Is this Normal? I expected the catch can to catch all the Oil, which mean the tube should be empty from oil as oil is being collected in the catch can, so basically this means the little oil is actually going into the intake manifold, is this Normal?

3- When do you guys clean the catch can, before or after oil changes?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2017, 12:38 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by stanklr
Mine looks the same as well on a base 2016 Manual C7, too much oil got collected i the catch can.

Quick questions:
1- Oil over filling issue, is it limited to Z51 cars or Base cars as well??
WITH THESE CARS BEING DIRECT INJ ALL OF THEM EVEN MORE SO IF THEY ARE OVER FILLED.
2- When i removed the "Outlet" tube from the catch can, it leaked some oil? Is this Normal? I expected the catch can to catch all the Oil, which mean the tube should be empty from oil as oil is being collected in the catch can, so basically this means the little oil is actually going into the intake manifold, is this Normal?
YES IT WILL ARE SOME WILL STILL GET INTO THE INTAKE & THAT.

3- When do you guys clean the catch can, before or after oil changes?
AT OIL CHG ARE REALLY NEED TO LOOK SOONER IF YOU DRIVE THE CAR LIKE YOU HAVE STOLEN IT.

I KEEP MY Z51 OVER 1/4 QT LOW. Robert

Thanks
Keep it a like lower than it calls for...

Get notified of new replies

To Elite E2 Catch Can Results 2015 Z51 A8

Quick Reply: Elite E2 Catch Can Results 2015 Z51 A8