C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFM actuators have failed again on track for my Z51

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:32 PM
jhauswirth
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lv2jmp
Sigh. My 2017 GS is at the dealer again, because 3/3 track events I get a P12F0 code and a nasty banging sound. I told the service guy I suspected a heat related issue. It seems to happen towards the end of a day, after the car has had its cool down lap, and if it is turned on again within 30 minutes of tracking it. The code is not thrown on the track -- it is thrown upon starting after a series of track sessions.

It is has happened to me at CoTA in 90F temps, and MSR at 60F temps.

(I'm not satisfied my dealer has quality vette mechanics. My car has been in the shop for this issue for at total of 5 weeks and it just went in again yesterday -- I'm thinking of asking them to pay a month of ownership to me (joking)).

I'm happy to find it is not just me, but I'm quite unhappy that it is a problem at all, a recurring one at that.
I had mine in the shop once, it took me over 2 weeks just to get an appointment for them to look at it. And then they told me they didn't have time to look at it that day once I got it there. During that 2+ week wait I read all these AFM actuator posts and came to the conclusion this problem isn't going to be solved easily.

I ended up pulling fuse 32 to disable the actuators, so no more banging. And, to me, I can't tell a difference in exhaust sound. I check the codes occasionally to make sure nothing new has popped up since the CEL is always on. I also went to the track again with fuse 32 pulled and had zero problems.

What I'd really like to know is if you pull 32 before going on the track so that the actuators don't move while they're too hot and then put the fuse back after the car cools off, will that help prevent the actuators from being damaged. I'm going to try this out if I can get the dealer to replace the actuators.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:28 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Pretty sure the actuators will fry whether the fuse is in or out. Maybe install cutouts upstream of the actuators and go open exhaust out the sides.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:37 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I probably have said it too many times, but it feels appropriate to remind again: leaving the actuators (with their butterflies) dangling next to the exhaust works. I've done countless track days in various conditions, and never had a problem:
How-To: Eliminate AFM actuator melting issue for aggressive/track driving

Last edited by X25; 11-23-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:38 PM
lv2jmp
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by daleong
Bummer, does the dealer change the AFM valves every time it goes in? By the way, what dealer do you go to in Austin? The one starting with H, A, or C?
A. Yes, they replace them. But it generally takes two weeks. This last time I had the problem appear at CoTA in Sept, took the car to the dealer, and (cutting a long rant short), I got my car back in time to get it tech inspected at Flamingo Auto, and drove it to MSR @ Cresson the next day. In the course of one month, my car was in my garage for 4 days total.

And it came back from MSR with the problem, so it is back at the dealer.

@X25, I read your post on how to eliminate this, but it requires voiding my warranty. I have 6k miles on the car; I'm not ready to start cutting. Unfortunately, I have to consider this a non-solution. But perhaps my tolerance of track-dealer-track-dealer will persuade me to listen to reason.

I am disappointed that this track beast of a car (2:37 @ CoTA, 2:37 @ MSR 3.1) continues to break. Paddles are great for the track, I have zero issues with my A8 temps (I use manual mode exclusively, and select my own shift points). So why AFM is deleted from M7 because it is more "track-oriented" is a mystery to me.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:20 AM
daleong
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Why don't you try the solution BaylorCorvette did? This doesn't sound like something that would void the warranty and it works.

"A GM engineer at one of the IMSA races last year told me the '16's had the "upgraded part" in them. If true, I ruined one at a track event last year. So what I did is unbolt the AFM actuators, and put several washers in between them and the flange they mount to to act as a spacer/heat sink. It also requires longer bolts but I just got those at Home Depot. So far the mod has worked, and I've put a few hundred track miles on the car since I did this. Of course the AFM actuators no longer function correctly but not a problem for me since I never use Eco mode in my M7. "
Old 11-24-2017, 10:46 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I'm learning things. I thought that the GS didn't have the AFM actuators installed. I was going to look at a GS tomorrow, but now I think I'll just keep my car.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:52 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by AKKutz
Well, I'm learning things. I thought that the GS didn't have the AFM actuators installed. I was going to look at a GS tomorrow, but now I think I'll just keep my car.
Manual transmission Z51/GS/Z06 for 2017+ don't have it.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:43 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Manual transmission Z51/GS/Z06 for 2017+ don't have it.
Okay, So I was right in my thoughts.... downside, local dealer has killer pricing on 2017 GS models, but all are A8's.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Ok so I have a '14 Stingray now... has anyone made a module to plug into them to fool the computer? I don't want to hack the exhaust.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:38 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

These guys made delete modules previously. http://efi-tuning.net/ Not sure if they still do.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:33 PM
daleong
Pro

No they don't anymore. I was told that HP Tuners now allows the error codes that happen when you remove the AFM actuators to be tuned out via the FSCM module.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:16 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

No they don't anymore. I was told that HP Tuners now allows the error codes that happen when you remove the AFM actuators to be tuned out via the FSCM module.
I really don't want to tune the car as I have 1.5 years of powertrain warranty left.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:17 PM
daleong
Pro

Fair point.. same reason why I haven't tuned mine as yet. If I break my AFM valves I will do the fix that BaylorCorvette did.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I was told this as well. Though I can't seem to figure out how to do it in HPT. The AFM codes are B-level and the FSCM appears to only show C level and higher codes for me. I'm sure i'm just doing it wrong..

Last edited by FYREANT; 12-13-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:12 AM
Jhanpa4
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have the contact to the GM rep here on the forum? My AFM valves failed at the track and the shop here doesn’t want to swap them under warranty because I went to the track and they failed there from the trans overheating
Old 12-14-2017, 09:55 AM
daleong
Pro

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I was told this as well. Though I can't seem to figure out how to do it in HPT. The AFM codes are B-level and the FSCM appears to only show C level and higher codes for me. I'm sure i'm just doing it wrong..
Maybe if you reach out to EFI Tuning on their Facebook page, he can help you. Just a thought..
Old 12-14-2017, 09:58 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Maybe if you reach out to EFI Tuning on their Facebook page, he can help you. Just a thought..
Yea I have the contact info for the guy at EFI that knows all this stuff.. I just don't want to bother him too much lol. I'm going to take the car out tonight or tomorrow with the valves disconnected (fuse #32 pulled) and let it generate the codes and then go in and see if I can get them to disable in HPT. If not, then I may reach out after trying and failing.
The following users liked this post:
daleong (12-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To AFM actuators have failed again on track for my Z51

Old 12-14-2017, 03:13 PM
daleong
Pro

Let me know if you figure it out.. i'd like to get mines tuned out at some point also.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Let me know if you figure it out.. i'd like to get mines tuned out at some point also.
Pretty sure I figured it out. Will need a couple days to drive around and confirm. Its important to note that it require tuning the FSCM (C304 on the controller list) which is a seperate computer from the ECM. As a result it requires 2 extra HPT credits to tune that computer.
daleong (12-15-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 03:31 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

I figured out how to actually tune the AFM valves out. Thanks to TSloper for his help with this. Check out my guide:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hp-tuners.html

Ant

Last edited by FYREANT; 12-23-2017 at 03:32 PM.
daleong (12-24-2017)

Quick Reply: AFM actuators have failed again on track for my Z51