C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno pull: ARH mid-lengths, Corsa X-pipe, Borla Atak exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Dyno pull: ARH mid-lengths, Corsa X-pipe, Borla Atak exhaust...

Just back from DBR Performance (Spring Hill, TN) after getting the ARH mid-length headers added on to the car and doing a few dyno pulls...

https://youtu.be/dveIpkNLIeA

Wow! The headers really woke the car up. Big difference from 3,500 RPM on up - really big.

Idle is a tad louder. Full throttle from 3,000 up - screams.

I'll try and get some exhaust sound video runs tomorrow or Monday depending on work schedule. Gotta go put some more miles on the car right now though....
Old 06-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Nice - the ATAK systems are still a little hard to get impressions of since there aren't a lot of clips here yet. Going to watch this now, and thanks!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

WOW, that sounds SIMPLY wicked! I love it!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:09 PM
bdons
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Numbers?
Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 AM
kiley2418
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds great!!! What was your final numbers?
Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

How much louder was the car over stock with just the Atak/ Atak with x pipe.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:34 AM
b1adesofcha0s
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds fantastic! Can't wait to see more videos.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Jakeman11
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice, I just got the ARH middies installed about a week ago and was looking at exhaust systems (recall we had the thread regarding Corsa valve backs). The Borlas sound great.

Are those the intercooled pipes?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No dyno numbers?
Old 06-05-2015, 05:18 PM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice setup

Love the Borla Atak system. Louder than stock when cruising and screams everywhere else. Best of both worlds.

The intercooled tips are badass too. Only downside is they are harder clean but well worth the extra minute wipe up.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Yes, I have numbers. Not posting though - I've seen the shellacking others have taken when posting up dyno graphs. I'll leave defending dyno numbers to forum vendors and those members who want to take the time to go through all the details with theirs. I didn't add a supercharger, meth, or twin turbos here so there is no top of the mountain HP claim to defend.

DBR Performance dyno is a little different as it has a "locomotive size" braking system attached to it to put heavy load on the car during tuning - not just spinning up a 1,800lb wheel. It is connected to a full "weather station". Heat sensor was not placed on the header to drive up the adjusted numbers. And several other baseline efforts were made to establish a new foundation for the next set of changes I go through with the car for future improvement comparisons.

Let's put it this way though, in the end it produced more then I expected from the full combo I've pulled together, however, is consistent in netted out synergy gain (not ricer math) from Afe CAI, ARH mid-lengths with high-flow cats, and showed some small gains from the straight Corsa x-pipe and Borla low restriction mufflers.

I have just over 100 miles on it now.

+ No CEL yet. Yeah!!

+ Initial start is rumbly loud and more then before.

- Idle and driving under 3,000 RPM is just a little louder compared to where it was. That part is not 'night and day' difference.

+ 3,000 RPM and above - it sounds like a whaling banshee!! It is FAN-FN-TASTIC!! This part is unbelievably different in sound.

+ Stab the throttle and rev it up for by standers to 4,500 RPM - they will jump, cry, run.... A BMW was following onto the freeway on-ramp. I romped it from 1st through 3rd gear. He caught up a mile later and was grinning ear to ear giving me thumbs up like you wouldn't believe. The sound just whaled, echoed, popped, and made other cars get out of the way.

+ Turn NPP on and the Borla Atak quiets right down on the freeway. All you hear is tire noise echoing through the rear hatch.

+ Jump on it and the seat-of-the-pants perception of improvement is awe inspiring. It jumps now. It's what I was hoping the car was going to be like when I bought it.

Gotta be honest, I've been underwhelmed with the HP/TQ seat-of-the-pants feeling from the car since I got it. I know it's fast from the paper test results and stop light run-ins but, it just never felt fast - especially compared to my other cars. Until now. Now I am feeling it.

I am happy now with the performance and sound. I can move on to getting that Z06 grill and splitter installed that I've had since February, move on to the MGW shifter, and really start enjoying the car for what I thought I was getting when I first bought it.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:38 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Why not post numbers?
Who cares about the negative comments.
There are always going to be people that have something negative to say.
I had my ARH Mid length headers installed by ARH this winter, going to JTM Motorworks this weekend to have my car on the Dyno. No other mods and no tune. If it helps, I will be posting my numbers.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 PM
silky1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
Why not post numbers?
Who cares about the negative comments.
There are always going to be people that have something negative to say.
I had my ARH Mid length headers installed by ARH this winter, going to JTM Motorworks this weekend to have my car on the Dyno. No other mods and no tune. If it helps, I will be posting my numbers.
Please do! Planning on putting just mid lengths on my car soon. Curious to see what it will look like.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:50 PM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
Yes, I have numbers. Not posting though - I've seen the shellacking others have taken when posting up dyno graphs. I'll leave defending dyno numbers to forum vendors and those members who want to take the time to go through all the details with theirs. I didn't add a supercharger, meth, or twin turbos here so there is no top of the mountain HP claim to defend.

DBR Performance dyno is a little different as it has a "locomotive size" braking system attached to it to put heavy load on the car during tuning - not just spinning up a 1,800lb wheel. It is connected to a full "weather station". Heat sensor was not placed on the header to drive up the adjusted numbers. And several other baseline efforts were made to establish a new foundation for the next set of changes I go through with the car for future improvement comparisons.

Let's put it this way though, in the end it produced more then I expected from the full combo I've pulled together, however, is consistent in netted out synergy gain (not ricer math) from Afe CAI, ARH mid-lengths with high-flow cats, and showed some small gains from the straight Corsa x-pipe and Borla low restriction mufflers.

I have just over 100 miles on it now.

+ No CEL yet. Yeah!!

+ Initial start is rumbly loud and more then before.

- Idle and driving under 3,000 RPM is just a little louder compared to where it was. That part is not 'night and day' difference.

+ 3,000 RPM and above - it sounds like a whaling banshee!! It is FAN-FN-TASTIC!! This part is unbelievably different in sound.

+ Stab the throttle and rev it up for by standers to 4,500 RPM - they will jump, cry, run.... A BMW was following onto the freeway on-ramp. I romped it from 1st through 3rd gear. He caught up a mile later and was grinning ear to ear giving me thumbs up like you wouldn't believe. The sound just whaled, echoed, popped, and made other cars get out of the way.

+ Turn NPP on and the Borla Atak quiets right down on the freeway. All you hear is tire noise echoing through the rear hatch.

+ Jump on it and the seat-of-the-pants perception of improvement is awe inspiring. It jumps now. It's what I was hoping the car was going to be like when I bought it.

Gotta be honest, I've been underwhelmed with the HP/TQ seat-of-the-pants feeling from the car since I got it. I know it's fast from the paper test results and stop light run-ins but, it just never felt fast - especially compared to my other cars. Until now. Now I am feeling it.

I am happy now with the performance and sound. I can move on to getting that Z06 grill and splitter installed that I've had since February, move on to the MGW shifter, and really start enjoying the car for what I thought I was getting when I first bought it.
This thread is a waste of time without dyno numbers.

The total number means nothing really, all dynos are different. The DIFFERENCE in power is what matters, that's what dynos are for. Run your car, make a change, run your car again and try to keep the air similar.

That way even if the dyno is stingy you can show you gained a good amount of power, and if you didn't there's likely something wrong.

Change your title to "ooh listen to my car" and leave the word dyno out
Old 06-06-2015, 09:25 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I doubt mid length headers are adding much, if any, additional HP. They certainly will make the exhaust sound better but from what a very knowledgeable tuner told me, even LT's are not as big a factor in raising HP as they were on the C6 unless you are making BIG numbers already via boost.

The stock manifolds flow pretty well so unless you are putting down more than 700 RWHP, Don't expect the 25-35 HP gains we would routinely see in the C6.

I like the sound of LT's which is why I went with them but I'll also be pushing ~700 HP so maybe I'll see some gains as well.

This would be my guess as to why the OP is not posting numbers. We all know people will say "only 6-10 HP for xx dollars? You wasted your money"

Last edited by C7-Beast; 06-06-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:08 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I doubt mid length headers are adding much, if any, additional HP. They certainly will make the exhaust sound better but from what a very knowledgeable tuner told me, even LT's are not as big a factor in raising HP as they were on the C6 unless you are making BIG numbers already via boost.

The stock manifolds flow pretty well so unless you are putting down more than 700 RWHP, Don't expect the 25-35 HP gains we would routinely see in the C6.

I like the sound of LT's which is why I went with them but I'll also be pushing ~700 HP so maybe I'll see some gains as well.

This would be my guess as to why the OP is not posting numbers. We all know people will say "only 6-10 HP for xx dollars? You wasted your money"
You think this is because the stock system flows decently well. Gains are cut in half from what they use to be on the c6. They are still two cats in the stock system. cant believe they flow really well.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 06-06-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:52 AM
10mm_
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

So because they don't help as much as a C6 they aren't worth it? I'm not following your logic here.

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno pull: ARH mid-lengths, Corsa X-pipe, Borla Atak exhaust...

Old 06-06-2015, 01:05 PM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Originally Posted by 10mm_
So because they don't help as much as a C6 they aren't worth it? I'm not following your logic here.
the guy you quoted has LT headers. All he is saying is that for people who are looking for big power gains, LT headers alone are not the best pick. But if you are looking for better sound, and some power gains. LT work great.

for me headers are worth it on sound alone.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Stock manifold and cats:

Stock x-pipe:

Stock exhaust:

Sorry, don't have photo of mine from take off but...

Stock air intake:

ARH mid-lengths with high-flow cats:

Corsa double-helix straight pipe:

Borla Atak dual mode exhaust:

Afe CAI:

Dyno shows I am in the low 30's in terms of improvement across all changes. It is significantly a different car in terms of responsiveness and sound. Long tubes would net more than the mid lengths, however, I wanted to keep a reasonable argument on warranty (everyone knows long tubes require a tune).

I was not expecting 50+ HP gain out of this combo - nothing that anyone has posted supports that kind of jump from these mods - however, if you think you are only going to get a 'few extra HP, like maybe 10' because the stock setup is so good... I'd find a new tuner. The AFe CAI is drastically different than stock. The Corsa double helix is going to flow better then stock (20+%), the Borla is going to pick up some over NPP, and the ARH is drastically going to improve over a manifold design. The way the car rev's is evidence of it breathing better. I have not weighed the difference piece by piece but, the car has probably dropped close to 75 lbs in weight as well.

Last edited by Jack Be Quick Racing; 06-06-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:31 PM
AR Headers
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts

Mike we've installed at least 7-8 Mid Length systems In-House with absolutely no other additional mods. We've yet to see less than 15 RWHP untuned and we've seen as much at 26RW. We see approximately 20 on average. Not sure where your tuner is getting his information from that headers don't benefit these cars greatly, even stock, but I highly recommend anyone to contact some of the finest tuners in the country and speak with them specifically about ARH C7 systems and what they can do for your car, with or without additional mods and in the case of the Mids, without a tune.

Nick

Quick Reply: Dyno pull: ARH mid-lengths, Corsa X-pipe, Borla Atak exhaust...