C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coming out of bypass valve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Sgtslaughterrrrr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil coming out of bypass valve?

Any idea what could b cousing this onmy aa blown c7? I have oil in intake pipes....seems to b alot of oil ... Do i need a catch can
Old 06-14-2015, 08:03 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

YES!

You also need to clean out your intake manifold and anywhere else there is oil in the intake system.

There are articles on site about Superchargers creating large amounts of crank case pressure. Catch can will help, but you may need additional venting from what I have read.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Sgtslaughterrrrr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[i keep tripping a p2227 code could this b from oily maf?QUOTE=EcoBrick Bob;1589841112]YES!

You also need to clean out your intake manifold and anywhere else there is oil in the intake system.

There are articles on site about Superchargers creating large amounts of crank case pressure. Catch can will help, but you may need additional venting from what I have read.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-15-2015, 12:52 AM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Somewhere I found a listing of all the GM codes, including many not in my DashHawk info. Not sure where it is any longer though. You might do a Google search for GM diagnostic codes, and perhaps even for the specific code. Likely is related, but that's only speculation.

You can also start a thread with a question on this specific code. Am sure someone will respond with an answer.

Good luck cleaning out the intake. Dawn liquid detergent works good. I would put it in a soapy bathtub and slosh it around till the oil's removed.

Once clean to a paper towel or rag, you can blow it out with air from a compressor or a leaf blower. You will also want to make sure the ports in the heads are also wiped down, so oil won't carbon up the intake valves, affecting A/F mixture and making the Vette run crappy later.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Since this is an A&A system, you may want to reach out to Andy for assistance. Too much timing in the tune can cause this as well.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:21 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

P2227:

Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance

This is caused by a mismatch in sensor readings between the Baro and MAP at cold start. A distinct possibility, since you have oil coming from the BOV, would be oil on the MAF.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

If it is a dry sump car have you ever had the oil changed? Never put the documented 10.3 quarts in it. I only put 9 to 9.5 in mine. Anything more and it ends up in my breather / catch can and usually a mess.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:25 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

like this?

most certainly need a catch can. i have heard its very sensitive to timing, but mine does it all the 'time'
Old 06-18-2015, 10:31 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

You still have this happen with a catch can and running 9 to 9.5 quarts of oil? If you're dry sump?

Originally Posted by MIGHTYM0USE
like this?

most certainly need a catch can. i have heard its very sensitive to timing, but mine does it all the 'time'
Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

that was before catch can right when i got the car.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Is this an issue that can occur with any of the three centrifugal supercharger kits, or is one design more prone than the other? From what I have read, these are the major reasons why this occurs:

1) Engine oil overfilled
2) Too much timing in the tune
3) The pistons are "hurt"
Old 06-18-2015, 01:46 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

MIGHTYMOUSE, did you ever take Andy's offer on a new BOV?
Old 06-18-2015, 04:42 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

I had not attempted to fix it in the tune until several efforts over the last few weeks (unsuccessful) so i still think its a good experiment if he is game.

It does make sense that since we are commanding horsepower and not merely throttle angle that you could be commanding hp you very well don't want, and abruptly but at a certain point the grap turns up and you don't have much choice to 'smooth' Ill update that post!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Sgtslaughterrrrr, please let us know the outcome of your situation. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Translator
Is this an issue that can occur with any of the three centrifugal supercharger kits, or is one design more prone than the other? From what I have read, these are the major reasons why this occurs:

1) Engine oil overfilled
2) Too much timing in the tune
3) The pistons are "hurt"

correct on the first two, but on the third its actually not hurt pistons but rather the cylinder bores in the block are not as precise as they should be causing an "out of round" condition. This condition causes excess blowby which results in the spewing oil..
Old 06-23-2015, 08:03 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FYREANT
[/B]

correct on the first two, but on the third its actually not hurt pistons but rather the cylinder bores in the block are not as precise as they should be causing an "out of round" condition. This condition causes excess blowby which results in the spewing oil..
I have heard of the issue that you describe as well sir, but there have been reports of actual damaged pistons and rings as well; some due to detonation, and others simply to not handling the power demands as well. Please reference a few threads down by Vengeance Racing regarding their aftermarket piston kit.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:06 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Translator
I have heard of the issue that you describe as well sir, but there have been reports of actual damaged pistons and rings as well; some due to detonation, and others simply to not handling the power demands as well. Please reference a few threads down by Vengeance Racing regarding their aftermarket piston kit.
ahh.. ok my bad. I though we were referencing the same thing. So actually then, the list has 4 possible reasons

Ant
Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FYREANT
ahh.. ok my bad. I though we were referencing the same thing. So actually then, the list has 4 possible reasons

Ant
You are correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil coming out of bypass valve?

Quick Reply: Oil coming out of bypass valve?