C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 C7 Z51 A8 mode setting questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2015 C7 Z51 A8 mode setting questions

Hi guys

I built and ordered my car in Jan 10th and just got it a couple weeks ago. Wild West Chevrolet in Yerington NV treats me very well.

I have a couple questions about the mode settings. For spirited driving on dry pavement, a favorite twisty road, or even a race track, what are the best settings.

Just for a example I had it in track mode in M using the paddles with nothing else changed over a mountain pass I love, and noticed a couple things.

1 . When off the throttle the engine would hang from 4000 to 3000 rpm and not decal or compression brake enough. Then it would finally calm down.

2. Coming into a tight corner in 3rd, it would not down shift until way to late into 2nd.

Im not a dummy behind the wheel and know the street in not a race track, but I do like to push my cars and bikes a sport touring pace in the right conditions. Ive raced motorcycles my entire life and started in cars with my dad years ago as a family hobby

I have allot to learn about this car, so thanks for any info on mode settings that may help the above since the manual does not really cover this in detail

Cheers Dale

www.holeshot.com
Old 06-23-2015, 01:39 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
Hi guys

I built and ordered my car in Jan 10th and just got it a couple weeks ago. Wild West Chevrolet in Yerington NV treats me very well.

I have a couple questions about the mode settings. For spirited driving on dry pavement, a favorite twisty road, or even a race track, what are the best settings.

Just for a example I had it in track mode in M using the paddles with nothing else changed over a mountain pass I love, and noticed a couple things.

1 . When off the throttle the engine would hang from 4000 to 3000 rpm and not decal or compression brake enough. Then it would finally calm down.

2. Coming into a tight corner in 3rd, it would not down shift until way to late into 2nd.

Im not a dummy behind the wheel and know the street in not a race track, but I do like to push my cars and bikes a sport touring pace in the right conditions. Ive raced motorcycles my entire life and started in cars with my dad years ago as a family hobby

I have allot to learn about this car, so thanks for any info on mode settings that may help the above since the manual does not really cover this in detail

Cheers Dale

www.holeshot.com
When in track or sport if you are getting friskey with it, it will go to PSA (Performance shift) and stay in gear for a bit to see if you are still going to play. You stated you were in track Manual mode, so you can manually up or down shift during the time it's holding gears. Again on your second question the same applies manually down shift to 2nd when you want. After a time you will get the hang of it, been through there many times when my sister lived in Gardnerville so I know you have some fun roads to experiment on. Have fun.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:48 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey bud,

I understand your comment since I come from motorcycle background as well and I track my car Z51 (new to tracking cars). The interval for rpm/ gear selection programming is conservative and would reject down shift unless the rpm is somewhat low.

As mentioned, you can leave it in automatic and with aggressive throttle and cornering, the car will go in "active performance shift" which will hold the gears almost to redline and up shift and down shift. I couldn't do this on the track because the transmission would overheat quickly (I have few threads on this) but looks like there will be a solution soon.
Cheers
Attached Images   
Old 06-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by BRCC
When in track or sport if you are getting friskey with it, it will go to PSA (Performance shift) and stay in gear for a bit to see if you are still going to play. You stated you were in track Manual mode, so you can manually up or down shift during the time it's holding gears. Again on your second question the same applies manually down shift to 2nd when you want. After a time you will get the hang of it, been through there many times when my sister lived in Gardnerville so I know you have some fun roads to experiment on. Have fun.

Yep will have to spend my next day experimenting with the old dial and do nothing but over the pass and back a few times, its a 15 minute trip. Something to think about so thanks. Sure wish it would compression brake more say in 3rd around 4000 rpm foot off the throttle. The thing hung there a few times from 4K to 3 K then would come on down. I will play with it

Cheers Dale
Old 06-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Hey bud,

I understand your comment since I come from motorcycle background as well and I track my car Z51 (new to tracking cars). The interval for rpm/ gear selection programming is conservative and would reject down shift unless the rpm is somewhat low.

As mentioned, you can leave it in automatic and with aggressive throttle and cornering, the car will go in "active performance shift" which will hold the gears almost to redline and up shift and down shift. I couldn't do this on the track because the transmission would overheat quickly (I have few threads on this) but looks like there will be a solution soon.
Cheers

Nice Ali

Where is that Fontana or Vegas ?

Im old pro drag racer dude > engine and parts builder/ fast in my time, also raced in AFM a few years. Was also a instructor in all 3 groups for the Track club at Button Willow 09-11 ....... Now Im less than a hour from Reno Fernley, but don't care for that track to much. The C7 should be fun there though

Wonder since my car is latest addition built a month ago if it has any trans cooler update yet ?

Thanks the info, nice pics also ...... lookin good
Old 06-23-2015, 11:42 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Very cool.

Both photos at Fontana. I did spring mountain recently. Its very nice track as well.

I did ride with the track club back in 09 and 10 at Buttonwillow. Who knows, maybe you have helped me with lines back then . I had couple of instructors help me with lines.

Unfortunately the 2015 doesnt have upgraded transmission cooling but something is in the work whether from GM or aftermarket. The car is amazing. Just go out and enjoy it.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:43 AM
Dale760
Racer

Very cool.

Both photos at Fontana. I did spring mountain recently. Its very nice track as well.

I did ride with the track club back in 09 and 10 at Buttonwillow. Who knows, maybe you have helped me with lines back then . I had couple of instructors help me with lines.

Unfortunately the 2015 doesnt have upgraded transmission cooling but something is in the work whether from GM or aftermarket. The car is amazing. Just go out and enjoy it.

See small world Ali ...... lol

I hated BW at first but them began to love it over time even though it was bumpy and sort of torn up back then. I had a cherry 05 GSX-R 750 track bike I built back then, green blue and silver with my Holeshot logo on the fairing and for that matter on the back of my Zs leathers like a bulls eye ..... ha ha

I will see if I can find a picture of my bike, now gone > to show you in the next few days

Yep I just spent the last hour or two reading all the wonderful stories about the trans over heating in all 2015 Z51s A8 when on the track.......... wonderful, Ive had the car two weeks and that's what I get to look forward to. I responded back to one of your latest post by the way.

Check out what I do at holeshot.com for fun with the performance standards

Cheers Dale

Last edited by Dale760; 06-24-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Dale760
Racer

Default My Favorite road ... bike or car

Hey Ali

Check out this one about an hour from my place

This was my break in drive >> 4000 to 8000 feet of beauty

Cheers DW
Old 06-24-2015, 01:33 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
Hey Ali

Check out this one about an hour from my place

This was my break in drive >> 4000 to 8000 feet of beauty

2015 C7 Corvette break in 6-19-15 - YouTube

Cheers DW
Wow amazing road. Thanks for sharing Dale. Can send me the location? It will be on my list for n3xt road trip.
Well, I have been vocal about transmission overheating issue. We did get enought votes to push the question through to Tadge. Check out my other thread titled "2015 Z51 owners and potential overheating " solution should be on the way from GM and I have been in touch with a corvette performance shop in socal that had solved the problem already. For autocross and drag strip you should be fine.
Cheers
Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Dale760
Racer

Wow amazing road. Thanks for sharing Dale. Can send me the location? It will be on my list for n3xt road trip.
Well, I have been vocal about transmission overheating issue. We did get enought votes to push the question through to Tadge. Check out my other thread titled "2015 Z51 owners and potential overheating " solution should be on the way from GM and I have been in touch with a corvette performance shop in socal that had solved the problem already. For autocross and drag strip you should be fine.
Cheers

I will send you a PM Ali

DW
Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Zax
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great road, enjoyed the ride along. Thanks for posting

What's going on at 5:50 as you're scrubbing speed, traction light on with light braking?
Old 06-24-2015, 11:28 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Zax
Great road, enjoyed the ride along. Thanks for posting

What's going on at 5:50 as you're scrubbing speed, traction light on with light braking?

Got me on that one Zax ?

I can tell you I had it in track mode only since this was really my first time out in the car, I did not push the center button yet on this ride and change anything else.

I had it in Manual mode using the paddles

I did not turn run off the traction control, but your right very light breaking at times and it would pop up maybe starting to think about it I guess

Next time I will go out I will try some suggested settings, since I still have allot to learn about this thing

All fun stuff

Cheers Dale
Old 06-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Dale760
Racer

Default Track bike

Very cool.

Hi Ali

My bike back in 09 at BW and turn 11 at Laguna onto the front straight ....... wonder if you were ever at B Willow with me ?

Cheers Dale
Attached Images   

Last edited by Dale760; 06-25-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:06 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Hey Dale. I am postive I have seen that bike before. Thats cool that we both ride bikes on track and know own the same car
Old 06-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Dale760
Racer

Hey Dale. I am postive I have seen that bike before. Thats cool that we both ride bikes on track and know own the same car

Yep, someday we go riding / slash driving ......... take your pick I guess ...... LOL

Laguna is stellar have a great track day

DW

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 C7 Z51 A8 mode setting questions

Quick Reply: 2015 C7 Z51 A8 mode setting questions