C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed off and hopeful at the same time!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:07 AM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pissed off and hopeful at the same time!

Well everyone after taking my 14 z51 with only 4200 miles, in for its second oil change the car has not been the same! I partially blame myself for not checking my oil level when I picked the car up however when I dropped the car off I was assured that the dealers' main tech that was trained specifically on the c7, would be performing the maint on it. Here's my story, after picking up "The Beast", the next day I went on a short road trip about 100 miles west. On my return home the CEL light came on and the car ran a little rough like it was missing and idled funny. After taking the car back to the dealer, I was told that they had seen this problem before and that the thought I needed A new MAF. They also asked if I had been running the car at high rpm's which could cause the problems with the MAF. (no I hadn't) Well after replacing the MAF I was told the car was doing the same thing and part of the problem was the car was running lean and they now thought the problem was I needed a new pcm. Well after changing said pcm the car is still doing the same thing. The in house tech admits he is stumped and has no idea what is wrong with the car and the next step is they have called chevy and are awaiting for an engineering tech to come down and look at the car. So to sum it up my car has been at the dealer for almost two weeks, no one knows what's wrong with it, no one can answer as to when this "eng tech" is coming to look at the car, and basically no can tell me anything. Oh when I call and ask for an update on the car, everyone I talk to acts as though I am bothering them and just kinda gives me the run around. I even talked to the tech and his exact words to me were "what else can I help you with"...are you kidding me? smh...smh...... I still have a glimmer of hope that the tech will show up tomorrow and all will be well..considering that the vacation that I have planned whereas me and "the beast" were hitting the road for a couple of weeks, is scheduled to kick off this weekend! To be continued...
Old 07-30-2015, 12:47 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MIKE1STVETTE
Well everyone after taking my 14 z51 with only 4200 miles, in for its second oil change the car has not been the same! I partially blame myself for not checking my oil level when I picked the car up however when I dropped the car off I was assured that the dealers' main tech that was trained specifically on the c7, would be performing the maint on it. Here's my story, after picking up "The Beast", the next day I went on a short road trip about 100 miles west. On my return home the CEL light came on and the car ran a little rough like it was missing and idled funny. After taking the car back to the dealer, I was told that they had seen this problem before and that the thought I needed A new MAF. They also asked if I had been running the car at high rpm's which could cause the problems with the MAF. (no I hadn't) Well after replacing the MAF I was told the car was doing the same thing and part of the problem was the car was running lean and they now thought the problem was I needed a new pcm. Well after changing said pcm the car is still doing the same thing. The in house tech admits he is stumped and has no idea what is wrong with the car and the next step is they have called chevy and are awaiting for an engineering tech to come down and look at the car. So to sum it up my car has been at the dealer for almost two weeks, no one knows what's wrong with it, no one can answer as to when this "eng tech" is coming to look at the car, and basically no can tell me anything. Oh when I call and ask for an update on the car, everyone I talk to acts as though I am bothering them and just kinda gives me the run around. I even talked to the tech and his exact words to me were "what else can I help you with"...are you kidding me? smh...smh...... I still have a glimmer of hope that the tech will show up tomorrow and all will be well..considering that the vacation that I have planned whereas me and "the beast" were hitting the road for a couple of weeks, is scheduled to kick off this weekend! To be continued...
well, remain calm and give them a chance to let the GM tech they are calling down take a look at it and fix it. My guess is actually that you have a coil pack wire loose, (happened to mine, same general symptoms)..
Old 07-30-2015, 11:22 PM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FYREANT
well, remain calm and give them a chance to let the GM tech they are calling down take a look at it and fix it. My guess is actually that you have a coil pack wire loose, (happened to mine, same general symptoms)..
Thanks, I sure hope so. About how long did it take for the rep to finally look at your car. I can't even get a date of when they will be down....and Detroit is only 45mins away from Toledo!
Old 07-31-2015, 03:59 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Thanks, I sure hope so. About how long did it take for the rep to finally look at your car. I can't even get a date of when they will be down....and Detroit is only 45mins away from Toledo!
Well, I did not have to have a rep look at it. I actually took the car home when it happened and diag'd it myself. Located the coil pack wire issue in about 20 minutes. Took it to the dealer and showed them exactly what it was and told them "hey, fix this."
Old 07-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

what am I missing about you checking the oil level? was it wrong? did it contribute to your problem?
Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

As a tuner and an owner of a C7 here is what my experience has been---
The oil change procedure in the owner's manual is vague--The biggest problem is either OVER FILLING the dry sump tank or UNDER filling it----
In your case I suspect overfilling--Reason why----The PVC systems on a dry sump causes the PCV to brubble oil bubbles up thru the intake track where they are vented to--
These oil bubbles normally happen on a quick lift of the throttle- after a WOT blast---Oil then gets into your intake tract where it eventually FOULS your MAF !! A fouled MAF will make your car run horrible !!! and throw a MAF code----Seems why they replaced your MAF where in reality there was nothing wrong with it --- confirmed by what you said it-- happened again--
My guess there is nothing wrong with your ECM either----It is simply a poor design of the PCV system causing oil ingestion into your intake tract fouling your MAF
If you read about the 2015-2016 dry sump cars they have remedied this by adding a "catch can "onto the PCV system----GM calls it something else but it is a simple catch can
If it were my car----I would install a hi quality catch can specifically designed for the dry sump C7---Not only does it filter out oil and oil vapor it has a built in check valve that at WOT will eliminate any oil from entering your intake tract from bubbling upon lifting off the throttle
Old 08-01-2015, 08:21 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

I installed the RX catch can and in a very short time is is getting a significant amount of oil. Very surprised about that.

I ran a can of CRC intake valve cleaner thru the PCV port just in case some oil had fouled the intake valve.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:19 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tblu92
The oil change procedure in the owner's manual is vague--The biggest problem is either OVER FILLING the dry sump tank or UNDER filling it----
In your case I suspect overfilling--Reason why----The PVC systems on a dry sump causes the PCV to brubble oil bubbles up thru the intake track where they are vented to--
These oil bubbles normally happen on a quick lift of the throttle- after a WOT blast---Oil then gets into your intake tract where it eventually FOULS your MAF !! A fouled MAF will make your car run horrible !!! and throw a MAF code----Seems why they replaced your MAF where in reality there was nothing wrong with it --- confirmed by what you said it-- happened again--
My guess there is nothing wrong with your ECM either----It is simply a poor design of the PCV system causing oil ingestion into your intake tract fouling your MAF
If you read about the 2015-2016 dry sump cars they have remedied this by adding a "catch can "onto the PCV system----GM calls it something else but it is a simple catch can
If it were my car----I would install a hi quality catch can specifically designed for the dry sump C7---Not only does it filter out oil and oil vapor it has a built in check valve that at WOT will eliminate any oil from entering your intake tract from bubbling upon lifting off the throttle
GM added a catch can? What does this look like in the new models? Part number by chance? I have a late 2015 model and I am wondering if this in in my car.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:29 PM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tblu92

Makes sense.....is it that simple of a fix though simply install a catch can? If so should I just call the dealer Monday and say hey guys I think this is the problem go ahead and install a catch can so I can get my baby out of there!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 AM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by RussM05
I installed the RX catch can and in a very short time is is getting a significant amount of oil. Very surprised about that.

I ran a can of CRC intake valve cleaner thru the PCV port just in case some oil had fouled the intake valve.
How difficult is it to install? Do you have specific RX model #?
I assume you have a Z51.
Thanks in advance.
Al
Old 08-03-2015, 04:27 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

I have been using the UPR catch cans for years---High quality fit finish and installation
They make a Z51 specific model and a NON Z51 model
here is the webpage for the Z51 model
http://www.uprproducts.com/chevy-bil...rvette-14.html
Old 08-04-2015, 09:06 PM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Latest Update.....Eng Tech from GM still hasn't made it down. Called and gave a few suggestions but couldn't give a definitive date as to when he himself could come check the car out. Meanwhile the dealership informed me they installed a 2nd ECM in case the first one was defective. Still no dice....3 weeks and counting...still running lean!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:45 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Latest Update.....Eng Tech from GM still hasn't made it down. Called and gave a few suggestions but couldn't give a definitive date as to when he himself could come check the car out. Meanwhile the dealership informed me they installed a 2nd ECM in case the first one was defective. Still no dice....3 weeks and counting...still running lean!
Do you have an aftermarket cold air intake ? maybe an AFE ??
Old 08-05-2015, 01:12 AM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

No everything is stock....
Old 08-05-2015, 07:10 AM
Kenafin
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did the dealership tell you what the code was with the CEL? Until we know that us "keyboard warriors" are really taking a shot in the dark at what the problem could be because it could be any number of things. Knowing the code will potentially rule out some items.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:27 PM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kenafin
Did the dealership tell you what the code was with the CEL? Until we know that us "keyboard warriors" are really taking a shot in the dark at what the problem could be because it could be any number of things. Knowing the code will potentially rule out some items.
No sorry Ken they didn't tell me what code. Currently the GM tech is conversing with them over the phone, telling them what to try etc..if that doesn't work out then they will schedule an appointment next week to come down....
Old 08-14-2015, 12:46 AM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Ok gang, the techs finally made it down to look at my car and they think that it's the 02 sensors that are bad! Are you kidding me? Any half *** mechanic knows that if the CEL light comes on then a majority of the time its usually the 02 sensor, in any vehicle. Hell I just changed out 2 02 sensors in the past year on my other cars, both GM products by the way. Anyway of course they now have to order them so hopefully tomorrow the problem will be solved. SMH....a freakin 02 sensor almost a month later and a freakin sensor sheez GM!

Get notified of new replies

To Pissed off and hopeful at the same time!

Old 08-19-2015, 11:02 PM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Latest update.....02 sensors installed and car still not fixed. Dealer mechanic is stumped. They are going back to the drawing board and calling the eng techs back down. Only God knows when they will get back down. At this point I don't even know if I still want the car. Does anybody know about Ohio's lemon law? Or GM's buyback program. Car has been in the shop for over a 30 days now which I believe qualifies it under the lemon law.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Latest update.....02 sensors installed and car still not fixed. Dealer mechanic is stumped. They are going back to the drawing board and calling the eng techs back down. Only God knows when they will get back down. At this point I don't even know if I still want the car. Does anybody know about Ohio's lemon law? Or GM's buyback program. Car has been in the shop for over a 30 days now which I believe qualifies it under the lemon law.
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/Consumer-Tips/Consumer-Tips-Auto/Lemon-Laws

Sound like you have met the conditions....good luck
Old 08-28-2015, 11:23 PM
MIKE1STVETTE
Intermediate

Just wanted to update everyone. I finally got the car back today after 40 days, after two new ecm sensors, a new MAF, and a high pressure fuel pump, the problem was with the injectors! So after replacing all 8 injectors the CEL is off and the car is back to normal. ( I hope, after 1 day of driving it still seems as though the car is running lean and idling rough, smh, at this point I don't know if I even want to keep the car!

Quick Reply: Pissed off and hopeful at the same time!