C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 LT1 Motor Limit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:45 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabush
Seriously, i'm thinking of replacing my stock springs since i want to go headers and intake.
I'm supposing since you have mods GM denies your warranty ? which years is your vette ? I have a 2017 GS and not very confident...
I have since been told that the ‘14-15 LT1 valve springs were weak. Supposedly the ‘16 and newer LT1 cars have the LT4 springs. I’m sure someone on here can confirm or deny this. If it’s not true, I’ll be a supporter of your thinking about upgrading springs. I hear the afm lifters are trash too.

Yes, they voided my powertrain warranty upon reviewing my ecm and discovering tune. I only had car for 3 weeks and installed afe cold air intake. Headers/tune were already on car.

Zach
Old 10-22-2017, 11:47 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Considering replacing your springs to do intake and headers? why?

I had intake, long tube headers, ported TB and a tune for over 25K before adding boost for another 25K. that's 50K miles on the motor on the stock springs before I pulled it and built it. The springs are fine with intake and headers..
I apparently got terribly unlucky...
Old 10-22-2017, 11:54 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

I'll know tomorrow morning a little better about my build. I can tell you that I'm already in around $20K on this build (and that's ONLY parts). I'm still acquiring parts. I've bought A LOT of parts so far. I still need a trans / oil cooler, a new dry sump tank, supplemental fuel system, pushrods and a full ten rib pulley set. Those are the most notable parts that I need. As for the 416 coming along, everything has been bought and paid for but we were waiting on Callies to send us my magnum crank. TS&P already had everything else in stock (the darton sleeved 416 block itself, the Callies I Beam pushrods, TS&P VVT3 camshaft, a brand new TS&P set of ported heads, ARP bolts, yada yada.. My MSD Atomic Airforce intake just came in a few days ago, my new tires came in, my newly re-power coated wheels are done, my new GM oil pan / two front GM front splitters / head gaskets etc are here and I've been in contact with Eddie from Weapon X on buying thousands of bucks worth of goodies from them. A lot is happening behind the scenes but it's all coming down to Callies on that crank. Can't go forward on the build without it.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:28 AM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Originally Posted by officermartinez
I'll know tomorrow morning a little better about my build. I can tell you that I'm already in around $20K on this build (and that's ONLY parts). I'm still acquiring parts. I've bought A LOT of parts so far. I still need a trans / oil cooler, a new dry sump tank, supplemental fuel system, pushrods and a full ten rib pulley set. Those are the most notable parts that I need. As for the 416 coming along, everything has been bought and paid for but we were waiting on Callies to send us my magnum crank. TS&P already had everything else in stock (the darton sleeved 416 block itself, the Callies I Beam pushrods, TS&P VVT3 camshaft, a brand new TS&P set of ported heads, ARP bolts, yada yada.. My MSD Atomic Airforce intake just came in a few days ago, my new tires came in, my newly re-power coated wheels are done, my new GM oil pan / two front GM front splitters / head gaskets etc are here and I've been in contact with Eddie from Weapon X on buying thousands of bucks worth of goodies from them. A lot is happening behind the scenes but it's all coming down to Callies on that crank. Can't go forward on the build without it.
You’re way closer than me...

U know how much power that msd intake is good for? At your power level, I figured you’d get one of the custom intake F/I manifolds.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:36 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by LT1pwrd'94

U know how much power that msd intake is good for? At your power level, I figured you’d get one of the custom intake F/I manifolds.
We REALLY looked at the custom intakes but at the end of the day, based on all of the flow data / hp numbers / cost, for our needs, the MSD was the best choice.. and that's saying a lot because I would have sprung for a cool looking custom manifold in a heartbeat. The only one that REALLY shined above all others required us to cut our hood. So, that wasn't an option.

After several small conversations with MSD / MSD knowledgeable techs, our best guess at this point is a honest and solid 35-40 hp on our platform. Could be more.. could be less. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 AM
Nabush
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Considering replacing your springs to do intake and headers? why?

I had intake, long tube headers, ported TB and a tune for over 25K before adding boost for another 25K. that's 50K miles on the motor on the stock springs before I pulled it and built it. The springs are fine with intake and headers..
Seems 2017 are dumping valves springs more than others... And GM won't replace them in preventative measure, they just did a tech bulletin saying if a valve spring break, replace it or replace motor if the valve dropped...

So if i go exhaust intake tune route, changing the springs by good quality ones would be perhaps wise since i won't have anymore the warranty...

Last edited by Nabush; 10-23-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:48 AM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

We REALLY looked at the custom intakes but at the end of the day, based on all of the flow data / hp numbers / cost, for our needs, the MSD was the best choice.. and that's saying a lot because I would have sprung for a cool looking custom manifold in a heartbeat. The only one that REALLY shined above all others required us to cut our hood. So, that wasn't an option.

After several small conversations with MSD / MSD knowledgeable techs, our best guess at this point is a honest and solid 35-40 hp on our platform. Could be more.. could be less. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I meant, how much power do they support...? Obviously if u spoke with msd, they are aware of your setup and feel it’ll support it though.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Nabush
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

I have since been told that the ‘14-15 LT1 valve springs were weak. Supposedly the ‘16 and newer LT1 cars have the LT4 springs. I’m sure someone on here can confirm or deny this. If it’s not true, I’ll be a supporter of your thinking about upgrading springs. I hear the afm lifters are trash too.

Yes, they voided my powertrain warranty upon reviewing my ecm and discovering tune. I only had car for 3 weeks and installed afe cold air intake. Headers/tune were already on car.

Zach
Which year is yours ?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:31 AM
officermartinez
Pro

I meant, how much power do they support...? Obviously if u spoke with msd, they are aware of your setup and feel it’ll support it though.
It will support my power levels.. one concern was the boost levels but from what I'm told, at 22 psi (my former setup was 22 psi), I'm golden. I'm told it's solid to 28 psi and that some independent company even tested their Airforce intake up to 30 psi. Although, I was told by only one tech (non-MSD tech) to expect up to a 55-60 hp increase, most everyone else was much more conservative. I feel up to a 60hp increase over a stock intake is a pretty darn big strrrrrrretch. Heck, I would be OK with a solid 30 hp and torque increase. That would make me happy.
The following users liked this post:
LT1pwrd'94 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 02:01 AM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

Originally Posted by nabush
which year is yours ?
Old 10-23-2017, 05:28 PM
officermartinez
Pro

* SMALL UPDATE *

How close are you LT1pwrd'94? What are you lacking in the completion of your build?

Just got off the phone with TS&P. They confirmed that my crank arrived and the motor is back on line for final assembly. Originally, I had purchased a short block but after I found out that I had a total loss, I ordered the necessary parts to complete the build. I asked TS&P since I pretty much ordered EVERYTHING (minus a couple of pieces), if they would build the motor as a long block. The TS&P rep (Dominique?) seemed to agree and he said he would give me a call back with any final misc items that I might need to purchase. He seemed very confident that the engine would be ready in less than 2 weeks. Re-confirmed TS&P's info on the MSD Atomic Airforce. He mentioned that on a N/A stock LT1, they were seeing about 20hp. On a mild boosted car, about 35hp. At 20+ psi, he seemed to validate that a 40hp increase is likely on the MSD vs stock intake manifold.

Also, has anyone used the Johnson Lifters Drop-In Hydraulic-Rollers (P/N: 347-2110) No Link Bar, .045" Taller Than LS7 Lifters on their LT1 / LT4 Gen V builds? Any feedback would be good to hear. At 1000+ hp, I'm told the LS7 lifters are hit and miss / more prone to damage.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:42 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

* SMALL UPDATE *

How close are you LT1pwrd'94? What are you lacking in the completion of your build?

Just got off the phone with TS&P. They confirmed that my crank arrived and the motor is back on line for final assembly. Originally, I had purchased a short block but after I found out that I had a total loss, I ordered the necessary parts to complete the build. I asked TS&P since I pretty much ordered EVERYTHING (minus a couple of pieces), if they would build the motor as a long block. The TS&P rep (Dominique?) seemed to agree and he said he would give me a call back with any final misc items that I might need to purchase. He seemed very confident that the engine would be ready in less than 2 weeks. Re-confirmed TS&P's info on the MSD Atomic Airforce. He mentioned that on a N/A stock LT1, they were seeing about 20hp. On a mild boosted car, about 35hp. At 20+ psi, he seemed to validate that a 40hp increase is likely on the MSD vs stock intake manifold.

Also, has anyone used the Johnson Lifters Drop-In Hydraulic-Rollers (P/N: 347-2110) No Link Bar, .045" Taller Than LS7 Lifters on their LT1 / LT4 Gen V builds? Any feedback would be good to hear. At 1000+ hp, I'm told the LS7 lifters are hit and miss / more prone to damage.
I've got Comp Cams 850 lifters in mine.

Last edited by FYREANT; 10-24-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:13 PM
LT1pwrd'94
Drifting

* SMALL UPDATE *

My motor tear down started today, should be completed within the next 3 days sometime.. trying to determine if my block and/or heads are usable.. heads would be for core return, as I’ll be getting the cnc tsp heads for sure.. so, I’m hoping to place long block or rotating assembly, heads, cam, misc parts order by end of week..
Now to decide on stock cubes, 416 stroker, stage 1 or 2 cam, etc...

Last edited by LT1pwrd'94; 10-23-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:55 PM
officermartinez
Pro

I've got Comp Cams 850 lifers in mine.
I'm assuming no issues? My buddy has 850 lifters in his Corvette. He likes em..

My motor tear down started today, should be completed within the next 3 days sometime.. trying to determine if my block and/or heads are usable.. heads would be for core return, as I’ll be getting the cnc tsp heads for sure.. so, I’m hoping to place long block or rotating assembly, heads, cam, misc parts order by end of week..
Now to decide on stock cubes, 416 stroker, stage 1 or 2 cam, etc...
(Does a magic hand wave and finger gesture with a subliminal message).. get the 416.. shhhh.. no one will ever know.. shhhh.. our secret.. shhhh.. biggest cam you can.. shhhh.. LOL!

But, in all seriousness, it sounds like you are already doing it right from the ground up!

These LT1's can take a beating but we are seeing the limitations I would say somewhere around the high 800 - low 900 mark?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:53 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

I'm assuming no issues? My buddy has 850 lifters in his Corvette. He likes em..
No problems yet. I got 2K miles since I rebuilt the motor.

Ant
Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Zach
Wish we could find out if the 2016s and newer LT1 motors actually got LT4 springs and what build dates started to come with the LT4 springs.

I would like to see this question put to Tadge via "Ask Tadge" but I doubt he or GM would actually admit to the LT1 spring problem.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 10-24-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 LT1 Motor Limit?