C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centi SC Stingray and C7 ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 AM
dironvictorious
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Centi SC Stingray and C7 ZO6

I have a 2014 A6 Z51 with an ECS kit and absolutely love the car. I went with just blower and conservative tune, no meth or headers. I make about 550RWHP. The blower only cars all seem to be in same range as stock C7 Z06 540-580RHWP. We weigh a little bit less, as don't get all the racing parts. I haven't driven a Zo6 yet. I am just curious if someone has driven or owned both in the same power range and had impressions, on street, drag strip, and road course.

I don't think here is a wrong choice here. I bought my Stingray before Zo6 was available, with intention of getting it supercharged if ever wanted more power as only drive on street and Z51 is more than enough brake/suspension.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:06 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Subscribed
Old 09-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

A supercharged C7 is going to feel faster than a stock Z06. I am not saying it will be faster, maybe it will, maybe it won't....

The supercharged C7 is going to be custom tuned, ideally, and have unlocked throttle response and torque management, it is going to deliver power in a more stunning manner.

Of course, if you get a proper tune on the Z, you will get the same results.

After that, you are talking about the basic difference between a roots blower and a centri, which are elaborated on in great quantity all over the internet.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:26 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
A supercharged C7 is going to feel faster than a stock Z06. I am not saying it will be faster, maybe it will, maybe it won't....

The supercharged C7 is going to be custom tuned, ideally, and have unlocked throttle response and torque management, it is going to deliver power in a more stunning manner.

After that, you are talking about the basic difference between a roots blower and a centri, which are elaborated on in great quantity all over the internet.
Higgs, did you build a big motor and S/C it for your car?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7BB
Higgs, did you build a big motor and S/C it for your car?
yes
Old 09-23-2015, 05:29 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

yes
Very nice!!! What kind of mods did you do total? Power numbers?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

I have had both in a c5 & for sure will take a centri set up over the top mount set up ever time. Robert
Old 09-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by C7BB
Very nice!!! What kind of mods did you do total? Power numbers?
i don't know yet, my Z06 HPFP failed already and I am replacing it in the next couple of days.

its a 416 on E85 with an ECS 1500 to start with.....we will see what it makes and what it can handle. could pulley down or even switch to a bigger blower later on. also have to wait on a secondary tank fuel pump because when the HPFP works I run out of fuel on the low pressure side.

deciding to go with no meth and run E85 instead has introduced its own set of issues.

my short term goal is 850 rwhp, long term goal is to blow it up and then turn it down a notch.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 PM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

i don't know yet, my Z06 HPFP failed already and I am replacing it in the next couple of days.

its a 416 on E85 with an ECS 1500 to start with.....we will see what it makes and what it can handle. could pulley down or even switch to a bigger blower later on. also have to wait on a secondary tank fuel pump because when the HPFP works I run out of fuel on the low pressure side.

deciding to go with no meth and run E85 instead has introduced its own set of issues.

my short term goal is 850 rwhp, long term goal is to blow it up and then turn it down a notch.
Very nice! I'm at 700whp with no meth... I think your car should easily see your goal of 850 plus! Can't wait to hear your final turnout.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 PM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Link to where I can get the motor? I'm considering this build for my setup
Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

motor was specc'd and built locally, heads ported locally,etc. i bought the rotating assembly from Ben@WeaponX and the cam and afm delete stuff from Texas Speed.

after I get it running right I will make a thread.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Little Red Corvette1
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default Centri SC

Originally Posted by dironvictorious
I am just curious if someone has .......had impressions, on street, drag strip, and road course.
I just ran The Colorado Mile and I can tell you what I saw.....
Stock C7 A8's could run 162mph with a good tune and good driver
Stock Hellcats trap 172mph.

Results For C7 Supercharged - The Colorado Mile:
1. 2013 C6 ZR1...............190.5mph.......750rwhp
2. 2014 C7 Auto/Meth......184.7mph........675 rwhp
3. 2014 C7 M7................179.7mph........642 rwhp
4. 2015 C7 Z06..............173.9mph.........650 rwhp
5. 2015 C7 Z06..............165.4mph

We were told by the Texas Mile folks that we were about 4 mph slower than this event in Texas.

Last edited by Little Red Corvette1; 09-10-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Added results (unofficial)
The following users liked this post:
StingerBG (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:43 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Before I SC'd my car I went back and forth between a getting a Z06 and working on my car.

My big issue was taxes, pay another $4,500 in sales tax since in Michigan you do not get credit on a car trade, or put it toward the car. Spending nearly 10K in taxes alone was a big detractor.

The other concern was traction and the lack of a wider tire for the C7. Me personally I think the track performance difference on the Z06 comes from 90 percent the tires and 10 percent the suspension changes, assuming no aero.

Top that with the heat issues people have run into and I personally think unless you really like the look you can build a better car, especially if you already own one.

Take away the engine and brakes from a Z06 and you have a wide body C7 with slightly different suspension tuning.

Figure out how much you would lose in selling your C7, cost difference in a Z06 and go from there.

Everyone will tell you warranty but the powertrain in the cars are pretty solid. Trans is bullet proof, rear diff I think is $1800 if you have a Z51(cheaper without) and a redo on the motor will run you 4-5 grand depending on the damage and that's if it blows at all.

Then you also get the car the way you want it which was another plus for me.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:59 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
Before I SC'd my car I went back and forth between a getting a Z06 and working on my car.

My big issue was taxes, pay another $4,500 in sales tax since in Michigan you do not get credit on a car trade, or put it toward the car. Spending nearly 10K in taxes alone was a big detractor.

The other concern was traction and the lack of a wider tire for the C7. Me personally I think the track performance difference on the Z06 comes from 90 percent the tires and 10 percent the suspension changes, assuming no aero.

Top that with the heat issues people have run into and I personally think unless you really like the look you can build a better car, especially if you already own one.

Take away the engine and brakes from a Z06 and you have a wide body C7 with slightly different suspension tuning.

Figure out how much you would lose in selling your C7, cost difference in a Z06 and go from there.

Everyone will tell you warranty but the powertrain in the cars are pretty solid. Trans is bullet proof, rear diff I think is $1800 if you have a Z51(cheaper without) and a redo on the motor will run you 4-5 grand depending on the damage and that's if it blows at all.

These were basically my thoughts...Plus, I just like the looks of the Stingray better. The Z06 looks too "busy" for me. There's no doubt a Z06 makes a better road track car, but with just a little extra $ (but still less than the Z06), you can easily make a Stingray faster than the Z in a straight line. Granted I would rather be on a road coarse over a drag strip any day, but the chances of either for me are far and few between for now so I'll just centri my car and enjoy it on the streets! Plus I personally just like the whole "Built not Bought" mentality!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoOne

Me three. I was #2 on the list and when I saw one in person I backed out and put a blown stroker in my C7 with coilovers, etc instead.

Looking back, it would have been nice to add an intake, headers, cam, pullies, tune and be done.....but I am having fun ruining my car piece by piece instead.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:47 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Me three. I was #2 on the list and when I saw one in person I backed out and put a blown stroker in my C7 with coilovers, etc instead.

Looking back, it would have been nice to add an intake, headers, cam, pullies, tune and be done.....but I am having fun ruining my car piece by piece instead.
Me 4. For me it was cost. I paid ~63k for my Z51 2LT and put ~11k in mods. 74k and with ~700 RWHP I'll smoke a Z06. I've already run a hellcat and he was not happy

I did give up my power train warranty but my car is a weekend only car so if I blow it up, I can let it sit until I can fix it.

Last edited by C7-Beast; 09-27-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:21 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by dironvictorious
I have a 2014 A6 Z51 with an ECS kit and absolutely love the car. I went with just blower and conservative tune, no meth or headers. I make about 550RWHP. The blower only cars all seem to be in same range as stock C7 Z06 540-580RHWP. We weigh a little bit less, as don't get all the racing parts. I haven't driven a Zo6 yet. I am just curious if someone has driven or owned both in the same power range and had impressions, on street, drag strip, and road course.

I don't think here is a wrong choice here. I bought my Stingray before Zo6 was available, with intention of getting it supercharged if ever wanted more power as only drive on street and Z51 is more than enough brake/suspension.
I bought a 2014 Z51 and added a blower kit. It ran great off the bat but soon was problems. Mine was an oiler and showed oil in the intake.
Before the install there oil in the intake and the problem was never fixed till right before I sold it. If it ever was fixed. I think some 2014's have bad bores from the factory.jlnjo I had the tune fixed I then ran 2 tanks of gas.
Where it was a little better. Took it to track to run my ZR1 but it had trouble there. I like my Z06 much better all the way around.
Even in the brief peak form with the 2014 I feel the Z06 is faster than my 2014.
I'm having much better luck with my Z06. It runs very solid with no oil use.

Get notified of new replies

To Centi SC Stingray and C7 ZO6

Old 09-28-2015, 01:08 AM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I'm looking at boosting my Z51 as well. Just need to do more research on the capability of the A8, etc. Anyway, I opted for the Z51 because I feel I can get one to be faster than a Z06 for less money. Can I afford a Z06? Sure! Then there goes the fun of modding.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:34 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

My story is similar to the mindset above. My 14 z51 was purchased for my wife as an anniversary present. She was in the market for a new daily driver and we went to the dealer looking at SUV for her and I personally had not seen the new vete in person so we figured kill 2 birds with one stone. Long story short we purchase the vette for her, after 2 weeks I ask how she likes her new daily and she then says "Oh I don't want this as my daily I just want this till I can figure out what I want". At that point we had issues because if that was made public I would NOT of gotten that car as I was waiting on the Z06 (and was hoping to have a 2 vette household). So after a long "discussion" We came to the conclusion that since I really wanted the Z I have 2 options:

1. Trade the car in once the dealer gets a Z so long as it is within the budget constraints.

2. Take XX amount of money and modify the current car; with the caveat that IT HAS TO REMAIN DAILY DRIVER ABILITY (she knows I can kind of get out of hand with mods and get into RACECAR mode very easily).

Well shortly after I received a call from my dealer that they had a 15 Z06 on the lot and I can come and take a look and trade up. I had the car for pretty much the day and I LOVED the sound, looks and the power of the car, needless to say I was sold on it.

After going back and fourth on the price it just wasn't the best for me to do at the time. Though the dealer is a personal friend and offered me a deal of deals I just couldn't get my head around the price (bang for the buck) of buying the Z vs doing the mods, saving a ton of money and that same time having a faster and lighter car.

After speaking with my wife and reasoning we went straight away and put the money out for modifications.

I purchased an ECS 1500, ARH, Alky Control kit, LMR catch can, Z06 front grill, Z06 intake scoops, LG Trans cooler and PLX boost gauge.

When initially installed I kept the restrictor plate in and with 8psi I was at 578/534 and loved the car.

But happened to take a road trip and drove the car from FL back home to NYC/CT this past week (its a tradition I do with all my cars I take one long road trip in the car alone home) And I happened to make the mistake of stopping by ECS and long story short removed the plate and had the car retuned. I now have 656 to the wheels and I am more then in love with the car. Impression is this IS faster the the Z06 no question about it.

I guess after all the rambling I just did it comes down to the point that for less of a price point I have a faster, lighter, and more of a "sleeper" car then the Z06 and I am very happy with the choice. Hell who can say they have a 600+hp plus daily driver that avg 27 mpg.

Last edited by The Rock1; 09-28-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Me 4. For me it was cost. I paid ~63k for my Z51 2LT and put ~11k in mods. 74k and with ~700 RWHP I'll smoke a Z06. I've already run a hellcat and he was not happy

I did give up my power train warranty but my car is a weekend only car so if I blow it up, I can let it sit until I can fix it.
Me 5 I guess Paid $63k for a loaded Z51 3LT last year before the Z06 came out. Put about $24k in mods into including rims/tires and made 740rwhp a 8psi. Will go back to Vengeance in October to get an e85 conversion and smaller pulley, RPI splitter and side skirts. That puts me around $88k for a car built exactly how I want it.

Thing is, I know if I went with a Z06, it would at least need to be a 2LT with other options and wouldn't go long stock. At that point, I'm not sure if a stock LT4 w/cam is any better than a forged LT1 with upgrades.

Quick Reply: Centi SC Stingray and C7 ZO6