C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefit of Z51 sway bars on Non-Z51 C7 Stingray?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 04:25 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts

Doesn't adding the Z51 sway bars to a base model take the car from factory under steer to neutral or slight oversteer?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:14 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
Doesn't adding the Z51 sway bars to a base model take the car from factory under steer to neutral or slight oversteer?
If you replace the front and install the rear bar it remains neutral. If you only install the rear bar you should get some oversteer.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Tom's '07 Monty
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Been following the Z51 swaybar thread...it is deep. Did this on my base C6 (bars and shocks) was very, very happy. I now have 2016 Z51 (no mag ride). I want a little more aggressive handling (I do not autocross or do road courses) on the street. I am thinking that the heavier/mag ride rear sway bar may help. Or I could go with the LG sway bar kit. Cost aside, how much difference on the non mag ride Z51 car with 31mm rear sway bar and the stock non mag Z51? How much difference between the 31mm rear sway bar and the non mag Z51 with the LG kit? Thanks a million, your answer/advice may save this old man some work and a lot of money.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:07 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom's '07 Monty
Been following the Z51 swaybar thread...it is deep. Did this on my base C6 (bars and shocks) was very, very happy. I now have 2016 Z51 (no mag ride). I want a little more aggressive handling (I do not autocross or do road courses) on the street. I am thinking that the heavier/mag ride rear sway bar may help. Or I could go with the LG sway bar kit. Cost aside, how much difference on the non mag ride Z51 car with 31mm rear sway bar and the stock non mag Z51? How much difference between the 31mm rear sway bar and the non mag Z51 with the LG kit? Thanks a million, your answer/advice may save this old man some work and a lot of money.
I can only say that standard Z51 bars and new front bushings stiffened up the suspension on my base Stingray pretty well. It definitely feels more planted, especially the rear since it had no sway bar at all. I think if you are mainly street driving the standard bars are fine and do not ruin the ride on the street.

I think if you go with stiffer bars then you might as well take it further and optimize the handling for the track and get the stiffer shocks and springs to go with it.
The following users liked this post:
Tom's '07 Monty (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:10 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I added the Z51 front and rear to my base. Made a world of difference in a corner. It’s a must if you want to do a HDPE. Way to much slop with no sway. I was literally disgusted with how the base corners at the limit with no sway bar.
Tom's '07 Monty (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I added the Z51 front and rear to my base. Made a world of difference in a corner. It’s a must if you want to do a HDPE. Way to much slop with no sway. I was literally disgusted with how the base corners at the limit with no sway bar.
Disgusted!? The little bit of sway in the base is fine trade off for the great real road handling. I've pulled over a G and no issue at all. Might matter a little on a track with tight and fast transitions but not at all on the street.

Last edited by Roadrogue; 02-22-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:35 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rb185afm
Yeah, I felt the base suspension was a bit sloppy as well. So much so that I was beginning to regret not getting the Z51 package. For $300 I added The z51 bars. When combined with the base shocks and springs the suspension feels more buttoned down without ruining the ride quality on the street with less than perfect roads. I was thinking I may need the shocks but with just the new sway bars and poly bushings it feels pretty good.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:54 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

I have the base suspension, should I get the sway bar kit with mag ride for the stiffer rear sway bar or just the standard Z51 sway bar kit?

Last edited by C82LT; 12-01-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:10 PM
relited
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 base stingray should I upgrade ?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:04 PM
RADR1VETTE
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It’s worth the upgrade. I have a LT1 non-z51 stingray and did the upgrade & I noticed the improvement.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:02 PM
CptCvMan
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by RADR1VETTE
It’s worth the upgrade. I have a LT1 non-z51 stingray and did the upgrade & I noticed the improvement.
Street or track and street?
How aggressive do you drive?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 PM
RADR1VETTE
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CptCvMan
Street or track and street?
How aggressive do you drive?
I mainly street drive. Once I installed them, I drove over a really big set of mountains that have some curves in my area and noticed the difference afterwards.
CptCvMan (12-11-2018)
Old 05-05-2019, 03:18 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm still pondering whether of not to add these bars and I do have a Mag ride C7 with Z51 wheel set up. According to many here this is when it's really worth doing the upgrade. Not as much if you have a non-mag ride car.

I do get the opportunity to throw this car around bit on our very rural mountain roads and I do feel the rear end could feel more laterally planted but I do not want to trade off the very comfortable ride I have going now. I am also doing the Mag ride update this week as mine is a 2017.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Vaughan LT2 Conv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by montanaman
I'm still pondering whether of not to add these bars and I do have a Mag ride C7 with Z51 wheel set up. According to many here this is when it's really worth doing the upgrade. Not as much if you have a non-mag ride car.

I do get the opportunity to throw this car around bit on our very rural mountain roads and I do feel the rear end could feel more laterally planted but I do not want to trade off the very comfortable ride I have going now. I am also doing the Mag ride update this week as mine is a 2017.
Good afternoon Montanaman,
I too have a 2017 Stingray with the MSRC option and I love it... It's a 2LT black rose convertible with a black top and the black interior as well as the black machine faced Z51 wheels with the basic gray calipers and chrome emblems. My first mod was the Crazy Cowboy Noise & Heat insulation kit install, I went with the double extreme kit and absolutely love the difference. My wife was shocked when she saw the car interior gutted but she trusted me to get it all back together... And I did! I just installed my Sway Bars this weekend and I went with the MSRC bars which means I have the 31MM rear bar and WOW I can feel a difference.
I too plan on getting the MSRC upgrade soon but after the transmission check next week at the dealer... I have an automatic with 8500 miles and its acting a little strange! I do not beat on my car but I do drive it spirited... At 61 I do enjoy the car.
If you buy the bars please be aware that install at home is a challenge w/o a lift! I have a nice floor jack and it still had its challenges being up in the air... I did however polish and wax all 4 drums on each wheel while off the car. I do love the black machine faced Z51 wheels and the fact that the drum is painted like the face, it really makes for a good look when showing the car. It's July so you have probably made a decision about the bars by now. Enjoy!
Steve
Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 AM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaughan LT2 Conv
Good afternoon Montanaman,
I too have a 2017 Stingray with the MSRC option and I love it... It's a 2LT black rose convertible with a black top and the black interior as well as the black machine faced Z51 wheels with the basic gray calipers and chrome emblems. My first mod was the Crazy Cowboy Noise & Heat insulation kit install, I went with the double extreme kit and absolutely love the difference. My wife was shocked when she saw the car interior gutted but she trusted me to get it all back together... And I did! I just installed my Sway Bars this weekend and I went with the MSRC bars which means I have the 31MM rear bar and WOW I can feel a difference.
I too plan on getting the MSRC upgrade soon but after the transmission check next week at the dealer... I have an automatic with 8500 miles and its acting a little strange! I do not beat on my car but I do drive it spirited... At 61 I do enjoy the car.
If you buy the bars please be aware that install at home is a challenge w/o a lift! I have a nice floor jack and it still had its challenges being up in the air... I did however polish and wax all 4 drums on each wheel while off the car. I do love the black machine faced Z51 wheels and the fact that the drum is painted like the face, it really makes for a good look when showing the car. It's July so you have probably made a decision about the bars by now. Enjoy!
Steve
Thanks for the info. I have not pulled the trigger on the bars yet and I'm leaning towards not doing it. I did have the MSRC upgrade and I am in the plus column on that. The ride is better in Touring and now Sport mode is not quite as harsh and more usable on less than perfect roads. I do notice a difference. I love the way this car rides and do more highway driving and even though I run it hard through some turns I will never track the car and I just don't think I will get that much out of the sway bars. Did they compromise the straight down the road road feel. In other words when going over rough pavement does it make the car feel stiffer? That I do not want.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 AM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have not pulled the trigger on the bars yet and I'm leaning towards not doing it. I did have the MSRC upgrade and I am in the plus column on that. The ride is better in Touring and now Sport mode is not quite as harsh and more usable on less than perfect roads. I do notice a difference. I love the way this car rides and do more highway driving and even though I run it hard through some turns I will never track the car and I just don't think I will get that much out of the sway bars. Did they compromise the straight down the road road feel. In other words when going over rough pavement does it make the car feel stiffer? That I do not want.
No, or very little.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Vaughan LT2 Conv
Intermediate

IMO, Yes I feel everything now... I have not had the MSRC upgrade yet and I will decide to leave or remove them (sway bars) after that upgrade. I plan on 95% highway and maybe 5% twisties so yes ride is paramount for me. I also plan to get the "Street" alignment that I have been reading about once I do the MSRC upgrade.

Quick Reply: Benefit of Z51 sway bars on Non-Z51 C7 Stingray?