C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-NPP Borla S-type review

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 10:12 AM
timmyg789
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Non-NPP Borla S-type review

I had the borla s-type on my previous vehicle and loved the loud low deep growl it produced so I bought the same exhaust for my 16 vette. I was expecting much more volume then what I got... it does have a nice low tone but its very very mild at idle and under moderate throttle. I was lucky enough the company I bought it from let me return it after having it on the car... not worth $1,700 for not much change over a base sounding exhaust . I do believe I'm going to end up going to their louder attak exhaust. Hope this helps anyone looking at borla.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:35 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 470 Likes on 252 Posts

I went with the Flowmaster axleback on my C7 non-npp, I am happy with the tone and the volume.

I had Borla Sports on one of my C6s, not quite loud enough.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:49 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyg789
I had the borla s-type on my previous vehicle and loved the loud low deep growl it produced so I bought the same exhaust for my 16 vette. I was expecting much more volume then what I got... it does have a nice low tone but its very very mild at idle and under moderate throttle. I was lucky enough the company I bought it from let me return it after having it on the car... not worth $1,700 for not much change over a base sounding exhaust . I do believe I'm going to end up going to their louder attak exhaust. Hope this helps anyone looking at borla.
I purchased the Borla ATAK (part #11869) yesterday for our C7 Stingray. I called Borla directly and spoke with Steve. After explaining my rough HP numbers /supercharged / big build on our car, he explained that the ATAK NON-NPP would be my BEST option for my particular setup. If anyone else is considering a Borla exhaust, call Steve.. he knows his stuff.

On a side note, I imagine our car is going to be a bit loud (cam, 1 7/8" AR Headers and X pipe, Borla ATAK exhaust). I'll see if I can snag a sound clip or small video of it when everything is installed and tuned.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:41 PM
timmyg789
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am actually going to be putting the borla attak on my car tomorrow. I also order some off-road kooks long tube headers. I'm in the same boat... this setup might be reallllllllly loud. My kooks are still on back order so who knows when I will get them on but I'm a bit worried this is going to be way louder then what I'm looking for......
Old 11-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Lmmgr
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Ditto

I had the S Type on my C6 that I traded in 4 the C7. It was just right. I purchased the S Type 4 my C7 at Carlisle and had the same impression.-- not enough roar. But unlike u no redo. Best of luck on the ATAK.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:12 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by officermartinez
I purchased the Borla ATAK (part #11869) yesterday for our C7 Stingray. I called Borla directly and spoke with Steve. After explaining my rough HP numbers /supercharged / big build on our car, he explained that the ATAK NON-NPP would be my BEST option for my particular setup. If anyone else is considering a Borla exhaust, call Steve.. he knows his stuff.

On a side note, I imagine our car is going to be a bit loud (cam, 1 7/8" AR Headers and X pipe, Borla ATAK exhaust). I'll see if I can snag a sound clip or small video of it when everything is installed and tuned.

Why non-NPP for your build? Don't ever plan on needing stealth mode or is your car a non-NPP car.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:13 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
Why non-NPP for your build? Don't ever plan on needing stealth mode or is your car a non-NPP car.
The simplest answer reduced to two words: back pressure. After speaking to Wisco, Borla and those VERY familiar with the NPP exhausts (as it relates to C7 / C7 Z06's), an over abundance of restriction on a high boost supercharged LT1 (ie, the exhaust valves closed as a result of user error or part failure / actuator failure), the back pressure that is caused in the exhaust can damage pistons. I for one will not take the chance of melting my pistons just because I forgot to go into sport or track mode during W.O.T.

I believe there are threads about the Z06 having only two exhaust valves. Some have questioned whether or not if it's different from the Stingray NPP because of a few reported failures during track days or even fuel ratings. Steve at Borla has said GM engineers recognized the potential for damage to pistons as it relates to supercharging and exhaust back pressure. I wish there were GM engineers that could chime in and answer this specific topic. I cringe at the thought of having close to 1000 crank hp, 14 pounds of boost and melting pistons because of 4 tiny exhaust valves.
The following users liked this post:
Bucknut2006 (11-14-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 03:13 AM
slesher
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On a side note, I imagine our car is going to be a bit loud (cam, 1 7/8" AR Headers and X pipe, Borla ATAK exhaust).
Jesus will hear you and it will be totally worth it. Grats on purchase and good luck with build. Love my Borla Atak
Old 11-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

The simplest answer reduced to two words: back pressure. After speaking to Wisco, Borla and those VERY familiar with the NPP exhausts (as it relates to C7 / C7 Z06's), an over abundance of restriction on a high boost supercharged LT1 (ie, the exhaust valves closed as a result of user error or part failure / actuator failure), the back pressure that is caused in the exhaust can damage pistons. I for one will not take the chance of melting my pistons just because I forgot to go into sport or track mode during W.O.T.

I believe there are threads about the Z06 having only two exhaust valves. Some have questioned whether or not if it's different from the Stingray NPP because of a few reported failures during track days or even fuel ratings. Steve at Borla has said GM engineers recognized the potential for damage to pistons as it relates to supercharging and exhaust back pressure. I wish there were GM engineers that could chime in and answer this specific topic. I cringe at the thought of having close to 1000 crank hp, 14 pounds of boost and melting pistons because of 4 tiny exhaust valves.
Interesting. Didn't know that the chance of the valves closing could cause that serious of an issue. I may have to forgo looking at an aftermarket NPP exhaust and just go regular.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:32 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by Bucknut2006
Interesting. Didn't know that the chance of the valves closing could cause that serious of an issue. I may have to forgo looking at an aftermarket NPP exhaust and just go regular.
It might be something you should take into consideration. Call Steve at Borla. He is VERY knowledgeable.

Get notified of new replies

To Non-NPP Borla S-type review

Quick Reply: Non-NPP Borla S-type review