C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My DIY added notes to ECS supercharger install.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 03:25 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Default My DIY added notes to ECS supercharger install.

I just thought I would add a few things to the notes from ecs on the install that might help some people. I would also like to thank Bob, Doug, Chris and Alex for the help. Bob you are awesome sir! Cannot thank you enough for time you took out of your day/night to make sure things are done properly.

These notes I am referring to are for the 2015 C7 install. My car is a 2015 Z51 M7.

Page 8 - Screen removal. FYI if you are not going to use the restrictor plate you still need to remove this screen per ecs. The instructions do not mention this so just FYI.

Page 10 - Reinstall air filter housing. I would suggest not doing this right now for a few reasons.
1) It's going to be in the way during other installations procedures.
2) I found it very hard to get the hose's into both holes drilled with this in place. I would suggest installing the hoses into these holes for now. Later on they will be routed to the areas mentioned on pages 41-43. Up to you here but I just found it easier to keep the air box out.

Page 15 - A breaker bar is mentioned as a tool you can/may use to remove stock balancer bolt. I have a M7 and there was no way this was coming off with a breaker bar. The belt would move with me as I tried to loosen. My car was in gear and E brake on. No dice. Luckly I had an electric impact gun and that took it right off. If you do not have a air compressor the eletric one is your best route pricing wise.

Page 17 - ABS relocation. There is no gentle here. This was probably the hardest part of the whole process. The main problem we had is the two main lines going into the block do not want to move much. Do not loosen the top lines much, just simply crack the nut loose and that is all you need for them to move.

Page 23 - These instructions are clear. However do not confuse the first two pictures for pictures that show where spacer goes. Those pictures just show bracket mounting. When you try to mount the bracket with out the spacer it will be obvious where the spacer goes. I'll try to snap a picture and update this part later.

Pages 27-28 - Cutting the shroud. The first picture is not the final cut. You will notice that you will have to cut the drivers side, maybe even the passenger side part that is vertical for the intercooler to fit. Pay close attention to the 3rd picture on page 28. That shows you what it needs to look like. Take your time cutting this and make it clean. My buddy did this part so that is why I said the passenger side may need cutting too. I was busy doing other stuff.

Page 29 - There is a metal rectangle you will get with this riv-nut. It's only use is to aid you in getting the riv into the radiator cradle. You will most likely need to drill the OEM hole out more. Be careful and do not drill the hole too big. You want that tool to get the riv up in the cradle. Or a hammer!

Page 43 - The factory Y you use. Just a FYI you will get a T from ecs too. It's not mentioned in the instructions but this is incase your Y doesn't work. You cut into it, etc. Save it if you don't need it.

I think that is about it. I'm not a mechanic or even knowledgable in the world of motors. I can change oil, brake lines, easy stuff. The week before this my buddy and I installed headers on his C6z and other then that this is my first big project. Let me tell you this, it's easy. This kit and the instructions are very helpful. I just think these few added steps will help people like myself get through things a little quicker.

Time of install for this and alky kit.

Friday - I did the tear down on car solo. Waited about two hours for my buddy to arrive around 5PM. We worked from then til 11PM.
Saturday - After work we both started at 5PM again and had the s/c done by midnight.

Sunday I solo'ed the alky kit for half the day and finished up the next day, which was about another 2-3 hours. (thanks to Ant's DIY post here)
Old 10-21-2015, 03:50 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Excellent write up! As we discussed, we will add these to our instructions. Some items we may make a small video to show how we do these things here which may aid in giving the DIY'r more of the "second time around" view of the supercharger install.

Glad to hear you were able to do it in the time frame you did, nice job.

If I can add too, if you have an install question on the weekend e mail us. E-mail is often checked 7 days a week, but the forum usually would not be at that time.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:30 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I forgot one thing. The screws where not provided in the kit for the ram air piece that connects to the lower splash shield. The instructions state to install it using the oem hardware.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was told the z51 does not have the screws on the oem part only the speed nuts. This was not a big deal. I just went to auto zone and picked up some screws.

The screws I purchased from Auto Zone are what Theta used here

Last edited by CDH76; 10-21-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My DIY added notes to ECS supercharger install.

Quick Reply: My DIY added notes to ECS supercharger install.