C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unbelievable situation with GM

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:52 PM
14STR
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable situation with GM

My 2014 Corvette has had a loud ticking noise from the engine. First my engine needed to be replaced with 3000.00 miles (that engine did not tick it just went at 3100 rpm), after they replaced the engine the Corvette ticked loudly at idle and through all gears at all RPMs, when I originally got the car back a complained to the dealer, they referred to a service bulletin which stated that this is inherit to some 2014 Corvette's from some high pressure injection systems. So, I walk away in the hope the noise would fade with time. It only got louder and more noticeable as I drove the vehicle. I couldn't tolerate the noise any longer and brought it back to the dealer. I told them I wouldn't pick up the vehicle until they eliminated the ticking noise. They contacted GM and I was told that a GM engineer listened to the vehicle and said. "Yes the car is functioning as designed, unfortunately some units are louder than others." No one should drive this car like this, it is constant ticking and I am frustrated with GM for bailing on their customer. I fear that a litigation is my only remedy.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 PM
SCB
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You may want to check this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-noise.html
Old 10-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Dangerous Don
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the direct injection on these cars are very loud, and some are louder than others, although in my car the issue with the ticking actually turned out to be bad dod lifters and they changed them all out for me, but in my case the care was running weird too, so if you car is running fine it's more than likely just the direct injection and you have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:12 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yes these DI engines are nosier than before--They sound like a C5 or a C6 does with an aftermarket cam---That "sewing machine" sound
I believe this is the 1st time GM used DOD on the Corvette--running on 4 cylinders
This has always been an issue with GM whether they say or not--Even Silverado's with DOD experience the same valve rattling---The inherent problem is that while in 4 cylinder mode not only do they shut off spark and fuel to those cylinders they also stop the oil from entering the hydraulic lifters with solenoids so the valves stay shut---THIS allows the lifters which are still moving somewhat not to get lubricated properly--Only from splash are they getting oil--Eventually the lifters can fail--
If you read about the 2016 Corvette they have addressed this issue for the 1st time by a complete re design of the lifters and function during DOD---
Reading between the lines the reason for the massive re design has to be due to all the lifter failures with DOD----
On my C7 I immediately tuned it and turned OFF the DOD---A pre-emptive decision
I love this car but knew about the DOD failures---No lifter problems so far and no lifter noise--I do hear the DI noise but it sounds normal compared to other C7's I have tuned and I anticipate no issues there
Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

So it is ticking? If it is normal then there is nothing wrong with the noise. Maybe ticking like that might indicate a problem with some other manufacturers engine but it obviously doesn't mean the same with the C7 engine.

The LS engines have piston slap noises when the OIL temperature is cool. It goes away when the engine warms up. Sounds like a rod bearing knocking on other engines but it is normal so is ignored.

Bill
Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM
SquatchMachining
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

My Vette Ticks, my 2015 Sierra Ticks, they all do it... The D/I is loud, its annoying but get the F over it...

Put a cam in your car or supercharger it, you wont hear it anymore....
Old 10-28-2015, 08:09 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The injectors do make noise.....one trick is to run a higher weight oil. Use the oil the recommend for the track, That quieted my car down, just take it easy till it is warmed up.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:06 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining
My Vette Ticks, my 2015 Sierra Ticks, they all do it... The D/I is loud, its annoying but get the F over it...

My lt4 is quiet no ticking!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:08 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
The injectors do make noise.....one trick is to run a higher weight oil. Use the oil the recommend for the track, That quieted my car down, just take it easy till it is warmed up.
Heavier oil doesn't fix injector noise!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:29 AM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Heavier oil doesn't fix injector noise!
true.....but it does quite everything else in the motor down...imo
Old 05-24-2016, 09:42 PM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SquatchMachining

wow..what did he just say?..
Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by blown81bu
wow..what did he just say?..
I must be deaf because I don't hear any loud ticking. I do notice a lumpier idle compared to my old LS2 but assume a bit more aggressive cam.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:31 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
My lt4 roars, but no ticking!
Fixed it for you...
Old 05-25-2016, 03:47 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I hear ticking under certain driving conditions. But never to the point where it really bothered me.

My viewpoint on this thread is that your car has a problem, louder than most injectors, or your just being to particular about hearing noises.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:50 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
Too funny man. Heavier oil quiets injector noise? That is the first time I heard that.

Easy fix...put a Supercharger on, you won't hear the injectors anymore.

Some new ball bearings may help. Its all ball bearings today
Old 05-29-2016, 02:34 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

Coming from an LS7, I can't believe how quiet the engine in my 2016 Stingray is. I still haven't been able to hear any significant ticking sounds from the engine.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:46 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by C7-Beast
Some new ball bearings may help. Its all ball bearings today
Old 06-02-2016, 11:36 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

The "sewing machine" noise of past LS engines with cam swaps is from improper pre-load. No matter what the cam grind, that was not "normal", just improperly measuring push rod length. That sound in the past was a sure sign of failure coming down the road from too little pre-load. Even though most cam suppliers can recommend the proper length, always measure before ordering push-rods. This used to drive me nut's when I would hear people say "that's normal".

Now, the GDI injector operates at 2,000-3,000 PSI vs LS engines at 50 range, so yes they "hammer" a bit, but if you have excessive noise it could be a lifter or rocker arm failing. All GDI engines injectors make more noise than past lower pressure injectors. Have a truly skilled tech with GDI engines listen to see what he thinks. May be normal.

Get notified of new replies

To Unbelievable situation with GM

Quick Reply: Unbelievable situation with GM