C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: FSP Breather/Catch Can

Old 11-06-2015, 12:16 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Review: FSP Breather/Catch Can

FSP recently offered something missing in the market. They introduced the Breather/Catch can.

As anyone who has modded their car to add an ECS/Procharger/A&A Super charger know that there is often the smell of oil in the cockpit.
While this does not bother some people, for others, it really bothers us.

So you need a breather to eliminate this odor. LMC makes a very nice Breather. The down side is it is over 1000 dollars. It is also strictly a breather and not a catch can that many of us insist on having.

Along comes FSP with the first ever Breather/Catch Can and it was much more reasonable cost then getting both a breather and a catch can.

Seeing the new product it was obvious from the start that I needed this item. I spoke to Matt and I would get the 8th can they were to make. My Breather/Can arrived a couple of weeks later.

The quality of this item is phenomenal. The powder coating is perfect and the tig welds are a work of art.

Last weekend I decided to complete the install. There were a few challenges that I had to work through with Matt's assistance. I called Matt of a Saturday morning and he got back to me right away.

My first mistake was in trying to mount the B/CC on top of a Meth line. ECS runs their Meth line along the top of the drivers side inner fender. I found out the hard way that this line MUST be moved in order to get the height needed to keep the top of the can low enough that the hood can close. I simply unbolted the Meth line from the inner fender and moved it aside being careful not to bend the line sharply.

Picture of Meth line moved:

After that, the install was pretty simple. So simple that my 17 year old son did the rest with Matt's instructions.

Matt made the correction since, but if you got an early can you will need 4 house clamps. Two to attach the breather lines from the valve cover connection and 2 to secure the smaller can lines. I also suggest getting some heat resistant rubber caps to plug the airbox openings. I have caps on order but for now we just covered them with tape.

Blow is a picture of what your valve covers will look like if you went with the PushLock fasteners.

Below is the routing of the CC side.

Completed install.

Overall I am ecstatic about the B/CC. It 100% eliminated the oil smell in my car. Matt is absolutely fabulous to work with. He sent me extra parts overnight and refused to charge for them (My screw up). He gave me his cell phone number to call with any concerns. Then he answered his phone and was willing to drive into his office to assist!

Matt is a class act and this is an excellent product that I would Highly recommend to anyone with a Centri SC. Install was so easy my 17 year old did 90% of the work. He just refused to drill into my car for the rivnuts
The following 3 users liked this post by C7-Beast:
FYREANT (11-07-2015), RGT (04-22-2016), RottenII (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 12:33 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Looks good! And you were even able to pawn off some of the work! I'm lucky I don't have the smell with my ECS kit, not that I've noticed at least.

How much was the kit out of curiosity?
The following users liked this post:
Redgar826 (09-26-2021)
Old 11-06-2015, 12:45 PM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the review, Mike. My tuner ordered one from the next batch. Should be here soon.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:56 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
Looks good! And you were even able to pawn off some of the work! I'm lucky I don't have the smell with my ECS kit, not that I've noticed at least.

How much was the kit out of curiosity?
Depends on options. Mine was offered as an introduction price of 625. There is a thread with more detail.
The following users liked this post:
blue_bomber697 (11-06-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 07:23 AM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
FSP recently offered something missing in the market. They introduced the Breather/Catch can.

As anyone who has modded their car to add an ECS/Procharger/A&A Super charger know that there is often the smell of oil in the cockpit.
While this does not bother some people, for others, it really bothers us.

So you need a breather to eliminate this odor. LMC makes a very nice Breather. The down side is it is over 1000 dollars. It is also strictly a breather and not a catch can that many of us insist on having.

This is NOT a true statement it is both.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:11 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The Rock1
This is NOT a true statement it is both.
My bad. I had read it was only a breather.

That said, the FSP is 625-725 vs 1000+
Old 11-07-2015, 02:42 PM
The Rock1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
My bad. I had read it was only a breather.

That said, the FSP is 625-725 vs 1000+
Agree I had already purchased the LMR piece when Matt told me about his..day late and 600 plus dollars short. And his piece is a damn good looking setup. They know what they are doing no doubt.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:46 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by The Rock1
Agree I had already purchased the LMR piece when Matt told me about his..day late and 600 plus dollars short. And his piece is a damn good looking setup. They know what they are doing no doubt.
I have had the pleasure of seeing these cans firsthand at the shop when I was there getting tuned on Monday. They really are a quality piece and I would love to get one. Problem is, I'm in the same boat as you. I already had my LMR breather before Matt came out with his. So, anybody want to buy an LMR breather with the updated revisions for the smell and quick connect fittings? Better yet, anybody want to trade there FSP breather/catch can for my LMR? Even trade! LOL
Old 11-07-2015, 09:46 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
I have had the pleasure of seeing these cans firsthand at the shop when I was there getting tuned on Monday. They really are a quality piece and I would love to get one. Problem is, I'm in the same boat as you. I already had my LMR breather before Matt came out with his. So, anybody want to buy an LMR breather with the updated revisions for the smell and quick connect fittings? Better yet, anybody want to trade there FSP breather/catch can for my LMR? Even trade! LOL
Great deal for sure.. Looks like both of these cans are made almost the same here. Here I am saying that and can sell a LMR can that I have had for sell for a few months now. It is new never been on the car. I guess when things are hot people will eat it up. & when it gets cold cant give the **** away..
Old 02-23-2016, 07:39 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I did the fsp breather tank last night..quality is def there..looks factory and the whole kit is stout..
It def keeps the engine compartment clean..______

My car is a 16 z51 ..PROCHARGER!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by blown81bu; 02-24-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:46 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

done

Last edited by blown81bu; 02-24-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:25 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

I just ordered one! Hopefully it will get here by the 3rd of May! I got a track day I want to have it in before then.

Just to be clear, I do not need to retune the car after breather install. Correct?
Old 04-20-2016, 01:49 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I just ordered one! Hopefully it will get here by the 3rd of May! I got a track day I want to have it in before then.

Just to be clear, I do not need to retune the car after breather install. Correct?
Nope
Old 11-30-2018, 12:05 PM
phillyphan0879
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some help

I got one of those catch cans but no instructions and fsp has closed shop. Could you repost pics or send instructions to me.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyphan0879
I got one of those catch cans but no instructions and fsp has closed shop. Could you repost pics or send instructions to me.

Thanks
Check this can really good to make sure it works correct, ALSO that it is not one of the can that he had made from whom ever he got them from that was done r weld wrong on the inside that they didn't work like they should.

I know right before he filed bk he had I remember 3 r 4 are so of them guys was really unset & didn't get some of them fixed r there money back when he moved from FLA to TX.. Robert
Old 11-30-2018, 02:58 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Check this can really good to make sure it works correct, ALSO that it is not one of the can that he had made from whom ever he got them from that was done r weld wrong on the inside that they didn't work like they should.

I know right before he filed bk he had I remember 3 r 4 are so of them guys was really unset & didn't get some of them fixed r there money back when he moved from FLA to TX.. Robert
Agreed. I got lucky. The first one I got had the missing weld. I got a replacement 1 week before he stopped responding. The unit should be separated into 2 cavities with a wall in the middle. 3 ports on the side for 1 cavity, 5 for the other cavity. The problem is the wall in the middle was like 1/2 inch short. The other problem was the absence of the mesh material to catch the oil.

In order to verify this defect isn't present: (picture just for reference, not setup to check)

Remove all fittings from catch can. Tape up all holes except 1 on the front of the can (at the bottom of the slope) and the rear most hole on the side (or any of the 3 rearmost holes). Shine a flashlight into either of these holes. You should not see light in the other hole. There should also be mesh material inside the cavities.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 11-30-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Review: FSP Breather/Catch Can

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review: FSP Breather/Catch Can