C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 with mods vs. Z06 for track use-need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 01:34 AM
2Laidback
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Z51 with mods vs. Z06 for track use-need help

Ok,
So I have to figure out if the Z06 will make a better track car for the approx $30k more than a Z51 with mods. After mods the price difference would be close to $18k-$20k.

If I get the Z51 and add coilovers and a supercharger and maybe exhaust is that going to handle better than the Z06? If the coilovers are good enough then I wouldn't need to worry about getting the Magnetic Selective Ride Suspension, right? I'm really just trying to get the best bang for the buck. I don't plan on using it only for track use but the mods I do add will still keep it street-able.
Opinions of those who have driven both would be most helpful.

Last edited by 2Laidback; 11-30-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:33 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 2Laidback
Ok,
So I have to figure out if the Z06 will make a better track car for the approx $30k more than a Z51 with mods. After mods the price difference would be close to $18k-$20k.

If I get the Z51 and add coilovers and a supercharger and maybe exhaust is that going to handle better than the Z06? If the coilovers are good enough then I wouldn't need to worry about getting the Magnetic Selective Ride Suspension, right? I'm really just trying to get the best bang for the buck. I don't plan on using it only for track use but the mods I do add will still keep it street-able.
Opinions of those who have driven both would be most helpful.
Consider this - centrifugal superchargers are not recommended for consistent road racing due to the heatsoak. Not saying it won't get the job done, just that many on the forum have said not to do it. Its more recommended to do a roots style supercharger instead (Like the Z06 has). Those cost on average 3K more than your centrifugal blowers. Next consider traction. Many of us with Non Z06 supercharged C7's have trouble keeping traction. The added tire width the Z06 provides is important and should not be overlooked. The Z06 provides a pretty good suspension and braking system as it is as well. Knowing you will track the car, my vote goes to the Z06 which gets you the track ready car and retains the warranty. I would have went that route but the Z had not come out yet and wasn't even announced when I bought my C7.

Ant
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 AM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I would not do a Supercharger on a track car, heat issues.. suspension mods and tires on the Z51. I passed a few Z06 cars at my last track event, and on the straights there is not much difference. Its all about the driver, a faster car may not be faster because of the driver.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:38 AM
2Laidback
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sycraft
I would not do a Supercharger on a track car, heat issues.. suspension mods and tires on the Z51. I passed a few Z06 cars at my last track event, and on the straights there is not much difference. Its all about the driver, a faster car may not be faster because of the driver.
What mods did you see the most difference in the handling of your car. I did Sebring in a rental C7 in October and even with it being my first time out I could tell it was all about the driver. But I can only get so much better based on track time. In my mind I would like to set up the car for the best it can be and still be driven around town. I don't care if it's a little loud, but I'm not gutting the interior or anything like that.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:36 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I bought an LT1 out the door for $53k and did about $10k worth of mods, including a cam, CAI, sway bars, radiator and BBK.

I wanted to stay NA for the track and have not been dissapointed, I knew I didn't want a roots blower for the track.

Spend less on options and more on go fast parts and you'll have a great track car.

I love mine

Also any supercharger is going to add tremendous heat to the car, you can overcome much of it, but I have seen many supercharged cars that can't make it through a 20 minutes session, and I would argue a CF supercharger is actually a better supercharger for the track than a roots charger, primarily because it is a giant heat sync sitting right on top of your motor. A CF sits in front of the motor and has a more linear feel like the motor itself.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by leadville1
I bought an LT1 out the door for $53k and did about $10k worth of mods, including a cam, CAI, sway bars, radiator and BBK.

I wanted to stay NA for the track and have not been dissapointed, I knew I didn't want a roots blower for the track.

Spend less on options and more on go fast parts and you'll have a great track car.

I love mine

Also any supercharger is going to add tremendous heat to the car, you can overcome much of it, but I have seen many supercharged cars that can't make it through a 20 minutes session, and I would argue a CF supercharger is actually a better supercharger for the track than a roots charger, primarily because it is a giant heat sync sitting right on top of your motor. A CF sits in front of the motor and has a more linear feel like the motor itself.
All good points. I won't disagree. I just know I have read several people with CF blowers who also had heat issues on the track which is still in line with what you are saying that all of them will have heat issues. I think one thing is for sure though, if you are going to track the car, an upgraded radiator should be on your first list of mods to do lol

Last edited by FYREANT; 11-30-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:15 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FYREANT
All good points. I won't disagree. I just know I have read several people with CF blowers who also had heat issues on the track which is still in line with what you are saying that all of them will have heat issues. I think one thing is for sure though, if you are going to track the car, an upgraded radiator should be on your first list of mods to do lol
Also if you do go CF blower, make sure you get the horizontal intercooler. That will definitely help with cooling for track driving. You'd probably run into serious issues with a vertical mount.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:13 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I tracked a supercharged M3 for 10 years, it was definitely a constant battle to try and keep heat under control.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:22 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Simple mods so far, 160 tstat, headers and CAI... next will be a dedicated set of track wheels and tires, then coilovers if I get serious, no mag ride for me since I knew I may eventually want coilovers. Still pull 1.48 g's in the corners on stock rubber.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

what kind of track? drag racing? roar racing? autocross?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:53 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

track, road racing
Old 12-01-2015, 12:12 AM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

My two cents.
Get manual Z51 with PDR, competition seats, then add Z06 scoops, Z06 grille, AP big brake kit front from Essex, Ron Davis radiator, and coilovers. Keep powertrain stock. This would be a great track car. I just sold my car which had most of these options but with A8.

If you want more power, then get manual Z06 with PDR, competition seats, stage 2 aero, and add the new GMPP secondary radiator. I just ordered this car.

Try to keep powertrain stock.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:43 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by AliZ51
My two cents.
Get manual Z51 with PDR, competition seats, then add Z06 scoops, Z06 grille, AP big brake kit front from Essex, Ron Davis radiator, and coilovers. Keep powertrain stock. This would be a great track car. I just sold my car which had most of these options but with A8.

If you want more power, then get manual Z06 with PDR, competition seats, stage 2 aero, and add the new GMPP secondary radiator. I just ordered this car.

Try to keep powertrain stock.
I would recommend almost the same setup, but would probably go with the stock MRC shocks and skip the coil-overs. It would be a bit more street focused, but would still be an excellent car on the track.

My first mod would be the Essex AP Racing Kit (always love to have confidence in the brakes), and then the cooling stuff (adding as necessary depending on any issues that show up).

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 12-01-2015 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 474 Likes on 281 Posts

I haven't tracked my new Z51 yet. But I did track a 565 hp,factory supercharged '03 Mustang Cobra for 10 years
As others have mentioned, it is a constant battle with heat soak. I did all the usual mods over the years and about all it did was increase the time before I went into limp mode by a few minutes. Nothing really worked until I deleted the cats. Bassani had an x pipe with interchangable flow tubes, so i was able to remove the cats for track work and reinstall them before state inspection.I was never able to run hard for a full 20 minute session without going limp, until then.

Never even considered getting the new Z06 because of the supercharger.

If you do decide on supercharger, plan as much additional cooling as you possibly can. You will need every bit of it and more.

The engine builder who rebuilt my engine to race specs said two things that don't belong on a race track.... superchargers and catalylic converters. True dat!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:14 AM
jake07Z06
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at the michelin challenge corvettes. they are z51s with a bunch of track goodies. and the best part is GM is selling all of the parts that make those cars 4 seconds a lap faster at spring mountain than a stock z51.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:39 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by sycraft
track, road racing
honestly i would do the c7 z51. add some race pads and run it. the c6z has major brake issues and really should need a BBK to get the operating costs down.

skip the power adders. you'll find out how scary 200hp is when your trying to take a turn flat. (turn 12 @ road atl) your going to have 455hp
Old 12-02-2015, 10:01 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Get the z06 for the track like some others have said above. Then only go with LG aftermarket coolant package's for the car also to keep the temp down on the car..

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 with mods vs. Z06 for track use-need help

Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

My only disagreement with above comments is that I feel a roots style blower is MORE susceptible to heat soak than a centri style blower. However, power band wise, the roots would be more desirable for the track for its more consistent torque curve and power at all levels. But like others have stated above, either do a z51 with cooling upgrades and internal motor mods and say forget the warranty...or just do a stock Z06 and worry about heat soak. I personally think a Z51 with cooling mods, camshaft kit, headers, intake, and tune will be a good starting place for you. That will put you at around 500+whp with a good reliable car...just no warranty. Granted, if you go with a good shop like Vengeance, the car will probably be MORE reliable after the upgrades than before!

Last edited by StingerBG; 12-02-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by StingerBG
My only disagreement with above comments is that I feel a roots style blower is MORE susceptible to heat soak than a centri style blower. However, power band wise, the roots would be more desirable for the track for its more consistent torque curve and power at all levels. But like others have stated above, either do a z51 with cooling upgrades and internal motor mods and say forget the warranty...or just do a stock Z06 and worry about heat soak. I personally think a Z51 with cooling mods, camshaft kit, headers, intake, and tune will be a good starting place for you. That will put you at around 500+whp with a good reliable car...just no warranty. Granted, if you go with a good shop like Vengeance, the car will probably be MORE reliable after the upgrades than before!

i think you guys are forgetting that superchargers add +100lbs in front of the front axles. the absolute worse spot to put weight on a car trying to turn. forget boost on a track car. you're only asking for trouble.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:16 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
i think you guys are forgetting that superchargers add +100lbs in front of the front axles. the absolute worse spot to put weight on a car trying to turn. forget boost on a track car. you're only asking for trouble.
which is why I said N/A would be a better route for track performance...

Quick Reply: Z51 with mods vs. Z06 for track use-need help