C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnuson Heartbeat Supercharger results on bone stock C7

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 AM
Patrick G
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Magnuson Heartbeat Supercharger results on bone stock C7

I just got finished installing and tuning a Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger on my bone stock 2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Stingray and the results were fantastic! By bone stock I mean no mods. Stock air box, stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats, stock axle back. The only modification to it was the Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 Supercharger and my tune.

Baseline stock dyno: 403rwhp/426rwtq

Magnuson Heartbeat dyno: 562rwhp/591rwtq

A gain of 159rwhp/165rwtq. Keep in mind, this was with the stock pulley supplied by Magnuson running 93 octane fuel. Boost was between 6.5-7.0 psi throughout the curve.

I am certainly a big believer in centrifugal superchargers having made 800+ rwhp with an ECS 1500 on my 2013 C6, but I wanted to see how my curve stacked up against a similar car on the same dyno. The second graph is my 2016 C7 with the Heartbeat vs a 2014 C7 with an ECS 1500 supercharger running the stock restrictor and American Racing 1 7/8" long tube headers. You can see how the heartbeat absolutely destroys the power of the centrifugal supercharger at all rpm.

So basically, I have Z06 power and torque for $7995 + installation and tune. No other mods needed. Sure you can remove the restrictor on the centrifugal to make more power, but my Heartbeat Supercharger is running a 3.5" upper pulley and only making 6.5-7.0psi. A 3.0" upper pulley would add a ton of power and torque. So if you've wondered what a Heartbeat could do on a bone stock engine, here are your independent results.

Special thanks go to Mike Burrell from Calvo Motorsports for his sweet pricing on the supercharger and to Kurt Decker (98Aggie) for his expert installation. It looks totally OEM.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Patrick G; 12-10-2015 at 08:07 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Patrick G:
BenCasey (12-12-2015), BradT (09-22-2018), LuckyGuy (12-18-2015), mrbdas (12-23-2015), ptran00 (03-06-2020)
Old 12-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I'll say congratulations but I disagree with you, what I see is a centrifugal being much more driver friendly on the dyno. But that's why there is options, people all like different things. Enjoy the car and run the hell out of it!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:43 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

I would take centrifugal over roots style all day. roots or centrifugal the car is making big power. I just like the sounds a centrifugal makes. roots wine is to OEM.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 12-10-2015 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:51 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Great results more then they actually claimed After around 130mph will the Ecs be more powerful then the roots? This is were I would choose my supercharger style from 130mph+
Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Patrick G
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steven Popham
I'll say congratulations but I disagree with you, what I see is a centrifugal being much more driver friendly on the dyno. But that's why there is options, people all like different things. Enjoy the car and run the hell out of it!
Here's what is interesting about being a tuner: I get to see what the superchargers need to make the engine run like normal. A typical centrifugal supercharger needs 10-15% more idle airflow to behave and recover like stock. The Heartbeat only needed 5% more. What does that mean? Less drag from the PD blower means it doesn't pull the rpm down like the centrifugal. This saves fuel while cruising and keeps idle recovery like stock. Initial testing showed no change in fuel economy.

It has been quoted many times that the centrifugal superchargers make a car easier to launch on the street due to not having near the torque of a PD blower at lower rpm. While this is a valid statement, there is denying the satisfaction that comes with being able to crowd the throttle at 40-50mph in any gear and have the engine pull like it had a 500 cubic inch big block. Like you said, it's nice having choices. I chose centrifugal in my last build and decided to be different on this build.

Originally Posted by MikeLsx
I would take centrifugal over roots style all day. roots or centrifugal the car is making big power. I just like the sounds a centrifugal makes. roots wine is to OEM.
You see, that was my biggest complaint against my old centrifugal setup was the noise. You could hear the blower sound all the time and the blow off valve was obnoxious. Of course some people love that sound, it just wasn't for me. The Heartbeat supercharger makes no noise at idle. Sounds completely stock. At WOT, it does not whine like a typical roots blower because it is only making 6.5-7.0 psi boost. When they make over 10psi, they start to make that louder whine at WOT, but not at this boost level. It's silent.

Originally Posted by Seannyc
Great results more then they actually claimed After around 130mph will the Ecs be more powerful then the roots? This is were I would choose my supercharger style from 130mph+
If you look at the comparison graph to the ECS blower setup running headers, there is no rpm where the centrifugal exceeded the Heartbeat in power so I don't think it would be faster from 130mph unless you removed the restrictor and added meth or race fuel to the ECS setup. I tuned both vehicles and tested on the same dyno so the comparison is more controlled than most.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patrick G:
2FAST4U (09-07-2017), EcoBrick Bob (12-11-2015), rajahhindi (01-22-2017)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:31 AM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Your ECS graph has pretty low hp/torque results for some reason skewing the results slightly. That's a bit low even for an auto and manuals make way more. Is your car an auto or manual with the heartbeat?

Not taking away from your Heartbeat though, the results are awesome and it makes more power than I thought it would. Very impressive. Going to be very difficult to launch, you are going to need some very sticky tires!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:01 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Just looking at your post, I wanted to clarify...you say entirely stock, quote the price for the upgrade...does this mean you're on a stock clutch?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Patrick G
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC000E
Just looking at your post, I wanted to clarify...you say entirely stock, quote the price for the upgrade...does this mean you're on a stock clutch?
I think I made this very clear. My car was completely stock as delivered from Chevrolet. No modifications in the baseline dyno and the only modifications to the car now are the Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger along with my tune. Stock clutch, stock everything.

The Heartbeat retails for $7995, but I got a better deal through Mike at Calvo Motorsports. You can get a quote from him on their Black Friday pricing. The installation time was around 9-10 hours for Kurt Decker. Just add a tune and you're set. Mine was a tuner kit so I had to create my own tune, but Magnuson does supply their own tuner if you need one.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome results. I've been back and forth between roots and centrifugal and just can't make up my mind. I've been waiting on the Whipple as well. How much potential for more boost does the Maggie have? Seems like centrifugal offers the potential for more power on down the road. Most of what I'm doing is drag racing and with the eight speed auto, I'm always in the upper rpm range. I do like the roots look better. No cheap looking hose clamps and hardware running everywhere. Decisions!
Old 12-10-2015, 10:37 AM
0mike@calvomotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great post and results pat for sure!! And i see the power at that boost level surprised both of us lol!!!

The maggie kit was never really designed and target to guys wanting big 800+rwhp guys IMO. It was perfected for guys wanting a very clean install and look, none of the centri noise and a fun street drive to give guys that wicked seat of the pants tq feel.

Just like GM did with the lsa/ls9 motor even the new c7. Even though when pullied down they make goobs of TQ down low the car is still easy to drive and you can still give it quiet a bit of pedal b4 it just lights the tires up.

Pats car is a M7 and the ECS car is an A6.

With doing the complete maggie kit with their tune there is an Optional 3-year/36,000 mile, 5-year/60,000 mile or 5-year/100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty (additional cost)

Last edited by mike@calvomotorsport; 12-10-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:08 AM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mike@calvomotorsport
Pats car is a M7 and the ECS car is an A6.
That explains the disparity mostly. Not a great comparison, but still a decent look. My M7 for a more direct comparison with ECS+ARH makes more than the heartbeat for most of the curve.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Patrick G
Instructor

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
That explains the disparity mostly. Not a great comparison, but still a decent look. My M7 for a more direct comparison with ECS+ARH makes more than the heartbeat for most of the curve.
Our dyno is a Mustang MD 250 and it tends to read a little lower than most Dynojets which is why I wanted to do a comparison from the same vehicle platform running across the same dyno. Granted the ECS car was a 6 speed auto, but remember it was dynoed with a locked up TCC and it had the power benefit of headers. The ECS car ran 158-159mph at the Texas Half Mile which was better than most of the stock C7 Z06s that were running on the same day (so it's not low on power). Our dyno just reads more conservatively than some. The main point of the comparison was to show how respectable Heartbeat is in power at higher rpm with no other mods to the car.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Our dyno is a Mustang MD 250 and it tends to read a little lower than most Dynojets which is why I wanted to do a comparison from the same vehicle platform running across the same dyno. Granted the ECS car was a 6 speed auto, but remember it was dynoed with a locked up TCC and it had the power benefit of headers. The ECS car ran 158-159mph at the Texas Half Mile which was better than most of the stock C7 Z06s that were running on the same day (so it's not low on power). Our dyno just reads more conservatively than some. The main point of the comparison was to show how respectable Heartbeat is in power at higher rpm with no other mods to the car.
I would like to confirm this from another forum member of the half Mille run Ecs vs the heart beat but everyone tells me the centi are better top end but from what your showing on your dyno even tho it's a A6 Ecs ur making more power top end now idk which one to get now lol
Old 12-10-2015, 12:24 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Seannyc
I would like to confirm this from another forum member of the half Mille run Ecs vs the heart beat but everyone tells me the centi are better top end but from what your showing on your dyno even tho it's a A6 Ecs ur making more power top end now idk which one to get now lol
Centri will make more power and will work better in the 1/2 mile. In an auto/auto or M7/M7 comparison, the Centri will make more top end. But the heartbeat is definitely closer than the E-Force for sure. I would be very curious to see these two go at it in a 1/4 or 1/2 mile race!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:59 PM
Patrick G
Instructor

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
Centri will make more power and will work better in the 1/2 mile. In an auto/auto or M7/M7 comparison, the Centri will make more top end. But the heartbeat is definitely closer than the E-Force for sure. I would be very curious to see these two go at it in a 1/4 or 1/2 mile race!
I would agree with you only if the Centri was running meth. An air to water heat exchanger will keep IATs lower for a 1/2 mile run than a Centri running an air to air intercooler with no meth. If the Centri is running meth, then it will keep lower IATs for the duration of the 1/2 mile. This is why my previous C6 with the ESC 1500 ran meth and loved it. So I'm in agreement with you given that condition.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:19 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I would agree with you only if the Centri was running meth. An air to water heat exchanger will keep IATs lower for a 1/2 mile run than a Centri running an air to air intercooler with no meth. If the Centri is running meth, then it will keep lower IATs for the duration of the 1/2 mile. This is why my previous C6 with the ESC 1500 ran meth and loved it. So I'm in agreement with you given that condition.
When running meth, you can remove the restrictor plate and run 10psi, then it becomes 690whp vs 590whp and it's not even remotely close anymore.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Any reason you went with the Maggie over the E Force? I would think they would both make similar power both using the 2300 Eaton.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnuson Heartbeat Supercharger results on bone stock C7

Old 12-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Patrick G
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Any reason you went with the Maggie over the E Force? I would think they would both make similar power both using the 2300 Eaton.
My research showed the Heartbeat supercharger to have a superior intercooler/heat exchanger setup. I also preferred the packaging & appearance of the Maggie. It's a newer kit with not many results on the market and I'm always willing to try new things.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:03 PM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

My research showed the Heartbeat supercharger to have a superior intercooler/heat exchanger setup. I also preferred the packaging & appearance of the Maggie. It's a newer kit with not many results on the market and I'm always willing to try new things.
Great hp numbers! Did the Maggie come with a tune and instructions like the E force? I also like that the E Force is made in the USA, is the Maggie made here as well? I'm just trying to get as much information as possible before I get a SC..

Last edited by BlueDevilZ51; 12-10-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:10 PM
0mike@calvomotorsport
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueDevilZ51
Great hp numbers! Did the Maggie come with a tune and instructions like the E force? I also like that the E Force is made in the USA, is the Maggie made here as well? I'm just trying to get as much information as possible before I get a SC..
All supercharger kits will come with install instructions. Pat just did the tuner kit since he is a tuner.

Maggie is made in the USA also and both the Maggie and the Eforce can come with the tuner also. which is a great part about it.

Quick Reply: Magnuson Heartbeat Supercharger results on bone stock C7