C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a Magnuson Supercharger on a Z51...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 AM
sagertat
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
That's much appreciated! I'm a few months out on a decision, the biggest hurdle for me on the Magnuson is the lack of CARB cert. I think I read it's pending, but I haven't reached out to them to see what that means.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer though if I do go that route, thanks!
CARB is still pending. Let us know what you find out if you contact them.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Seannyc
So your sayin 750whp with a centi vs a roots style 750whp the centi won't beat it on highway cuz they say it's faster on top end I'm just tryin to confirm this
Originally Posted by T/A KID
Exactly..... All things being equal the PD will get the jump too due to tq
The PD will get the jump if it gets traction but that will not be the case with street tires in most cases.

Gotcha idk how everyone says centi's are better top end
The power is delivered higher in the RPM range with centris so yes it has an upper RPM hook that you will feel and is measurable on both dyno and mph on time slip.

Originally Posted by T/A KID
That's bc they don't compare compressors to one another correctly.. Take a novi 2200 or vortech YSI vs a 2300... Sure it will have more topend from the centri due to the cfm the blower can move... BUT that's only when you start pushing them into the 850+rwhp range where the 2.3 is not capable of pushing enough CFM
Both have their attributes, choice depends on use and preference.

To the OP; Very nice setup and install.
The new Magnuson shows they put time into R & D.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:08 PM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts

[QUOTE=sagertat;1591395015]Spent a few days to install a Magnuson supercharger. Great kit. Amazing instant power.

Wondering how many others have this kit installed?

Happy to answer questions for those thinking about it.

Thanks for your story. I'm having one installed as soon as the snow melts up here in Ontario Two questions for you - one good and one dumb:

1. Any significant reason that you went with the stock pulley other than ease of installation? I'm told the smaller pulley will produce about 9 psi of boost versus 6 with the stock pulley and will also add about 40-50 rwhp. Not bad for a part that costs only $149!

2. Here's the dumb question: does the Magnuson/Heartbeat name appear anywhere on the top of the unit? From your picture it doesn't show anywhere??

Again, thanks for your story!

Last edited by LuckyGuy; 01-25-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:40 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
The PD will get the jump if it gets traction but that will not be the case with street tires in most cases.

The power is delivered higher in the RPM range with centris so yes it has an upper RPM hook that you will feel and is measurable on both dyno and mph on time slip.

Both have their attributes, choice depends on use and preference.

To the OP; Very nice setup and install.
The new Magnuson shows they put time into R & D.
So after it gets the jump with the centi will it come up after a higher speed or remain the same behind
Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM
sagertat
Heel & Toe

[QUOTE=LuckyGuy;1591398653]
Originally Posted by sagertat
Thanks for your story. I'm having one installed as soon as the snow melts up here in Ontario Two questions for you - one good and one dumb:

1. Any significant reason that you went with the stock pulley other than ease of installation? I'm told the smaller pulley will produce about 9 psi of boost versus 6 with the stock pulley and will also add about 40-50 rwhp. Not bad for a part that costs only $149!

2. Here's the dumb question: does the Magnuson/Heartbeat name appear anywhere on the top of the unit? From your picture it doesn't show anywhere??

Again, thanks for your story!
I wanted a more conservative power increase to offset altitude losses as I live at 5000 ft elevation. No doubt that changing the pulley will increase the boost but you're also putting more stress is on the single belt design and the LT1 stock engine. I already have trouble putting down the power
it added. But it was definitely worth the 6 psi I'm set up for.

As for the badging, they do include a plastic trim piece that goes around the supercharger. It's just not installed in the picture. They also include some window stickers.

Last edited by sagertat; 01-25-2016 at 05:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LuckyGuy (01-26-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Tex
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Good job! I too have the Magnuson and did long tube headers as well. Love the power but will be looking at bigger tires and wheels soon. I did not do mine myself and had a pro do the tuning. On the dyno it was reading 548 hp and that's with the tires smoking from the loss of traction on a cool night. I had mine installed 3 months ago and still trying to get used to the awesome power-I'm a little cautious and trying to keep it in my lane! Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Question to the OP....how many miles on the motor and how did your valves look from the intake ports?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM
sagertat
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mustclime
Question to the OP....how many miles on the motor and how did your valves look from the intake ports?
2700 miles. There was some minor coking on the valves and some oil film in the plastic manifold I removed. I think oil in the intake is real and coking on the valves is real. But it can be reduced by keeping the oil down on the dip stick. Whether or not it will cause issues or is just cosmetic as Tadge implies remains to be seen. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. And I'm not going to add a catch can. I'm not keen on the Z06 catch can solution where they are plugging the hole in the supercharger.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:48 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by sagertat
2700 miles. There was some minor coking on the valves and some oil film in the plastic manifold I removed. I think oil in the intake is real and coking on the valves is real. But it can be reduced by keeping the oil down on the dip stick. Whether or not it will cause issues or is just cosmetic as Tadge implies remains to be seen. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. And I'm not going to add a catch can. I'm not keen on the Z06 catch can solution where they are plugging the hole in the supercharger.
Ran into this on my lt4 blower... I think it's ignorant to attempt to block that port with a plug/silicone... I welded it shut... Problem solved
Old 01-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I emailed Magnuson to ask about the CARB cert. I dunno, I invited them to the thread, they are forum vendors. Maybe they'll chime in.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:31 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I emailed Magnuson to ask about the CARB cert. I dunno, I invited them to the thread, they are forum vendors. Maybe they'll chime in.
I was talking to Magnuson last week and they said that they have all of the paperwork in and are anticipating no issues at all with their CARB certification - it is just a matter of bureaucratic inertia at this point!

Last edited by LuckyGuy; 01-26-2016 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rooster OG (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 12:09 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

So after it gets the jump with the centi will it come up after a higher speed or remain the same behind
Yes the centri will be charging forward at a higher speed and catching up, it's inherent of their design to have a stronger top end charge. I'd suggest looking at Forced Induction section for C6 here on CF for a large database of opinions, experiences and actual numbers as same will hold true for C7 aplications.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Very nice. Keeping the stock pulley was a good call. You can get used to this jump in power, and down the road gives you another easy mod to get some more out of it. Also, the stock tune from Magnason only covers stock configurations, so a custom tune is needed.

I'm sure the CARB cert will be coming soon. They are California based, and don't know if any prior blowers of theirs that didn't get the cert.

Last edited by 08G8V8; 01-26-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:21 PM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
Very nice. Keeping the stock pulley was a good call. You can get used to this jump in power, and down the road gives you another easy mod to get some more out of it. Also, the stock tune from Magnason only covers stock configurations, so a custom tune is needed.

I'm sure the CARB cert will be coming soon. They are California based, and don't know if any prior blowers of theirs that didn't get the cert.
My installer only does custom tuning. Better quality control that way
Old 01-26-2016, 02:54 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Agreed, but since he installed the stock tune from Magnason, he wasn't planning on doing custom tuning right away, if ever(most likely will.....the mod-bug bites HARD)

I've been through my share of tooners with my supercharged G8.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:22 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by LuckyGuy
I was talking to Magnuson last week and they said that they have all of the paperwork in and are anticipating no issues at all with their CARB certification - it is just a matter of bureaucratic inertia at this point!
Ok, so when the state gets around to it, it should be approved by the time the c8 rolls out. Perfect!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Yes the centri will be charging forward at a higher speed and catching up, it's inherent of their design to have a stronger top end charge. I'd suggest looking at Forced Induction section for C6 here on CF for a large database of opinions, experiences and actual numbers as same will hold true for C7 aplications.
Thanks for the info

Get notified of new replies

To Installed a Magnuson Supercharger on a Z51...

Old 01-26-2016, 07:29 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the info
You're welcome. You should ask around and try to ride in similar cars, one with a centri blower and one with a PD blower. This will make clear the difference of how power is delivered and help prevent possible future regrets of spend.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

You're welcome. You should ask around and try to ride in similar cars, one with a centri blower and one with a PD blower. This will make clear the difference of how power is delivered and help prevent possible future regrets of spend.
I would like to but no one has a centi that I no

I no a few guys with a z06 never felt it tho but since the centi makes more power up top that's where I like the power highway pulls roll racing
Old 01-30-2016, 09:17 PM
2highpsi
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I would like to but no one has a centi that I no

I no a few guys with a z06 never felt it tho but since the centi makes more power up top that's where I like the power highway pulls roll racing
Fortunately I've had the pleasure of owning every configuration available for a V8 street car at one time or another - centri, PD, and twin turbo.

Centri seems to make more power at the top because it isn't capable of making boost at lower RPM - boost is a function of speed, so the higher the RPM the higher the boost. It is normally the lowest cost solution and has the least efficiency.

The PD (roots) blower makes boost everywhere, if boost is matched at the top end it will make the same power and you get the benefit of the low speed performance. These offer good efficiency and great drivability, but are limited to about 900-1000 crankshaft HP due to the availability of a large unit (largest currently is a TVS2300 - 2.3 Liter)

Quick Reply: Installed a Magnuson Supercharger on a Z51...