C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a Magnuson Supercharger on a Z51...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:45 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 2highpsi
Fortunately I've had the pleasure of owning every configuration available for a V8 street car at one time or another - centri, PD, and twin turbo.

Centri seems to make more power at the top because it isn't capable of making boost at lower RPM - boost is a function of speed, so the higher the RPM the higher the boost. It is normally the lowest cost solution and has the least efficiency.

The PD (roots) blower makes boost everywhere, if boost is matched at the top end it will make the same power and you get the benefit of the low speed performance. These offer good efficiency and great drivability, but are limited to about 900-1000 crankshaft HP due to the availability of a large unit (largest currently is a TVS2300 - 2.3 Liter)
Gotcha

so let's say 50 to 150 run roll race what will win both with 700whp centi vs roots
Old 01-31-2016, 04:53 AM
2highpsi
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Seannyc
Gotcha

so let's say 50 to 150 run roll race what will win both with 700whp centi vs roots
Both with 700 at the wheels at say a max rpm of 6300? Which ever one has the most area under the HP curve between the shift points - in other words most probably the roots.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:08 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

And a lot of the newer PD blowers are limited by pull/drive system. I believe the small pulley setup you can do on the c7 maggie won't make close to 700rwhp. I believe CPR maxed one out.

The 1st race maybe close but in my experience the centri holds up a LOT better to repeated pulls and maintaining power. PDs need time to recover, and cool. If they are both cool it will be a close race, but heat soak is an issue with most PDs without extensive upgrades.

Last edited by Unreal; 01-31-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
And a lot of the newer PD blowers are limited by pull/drive system. I believe the small pulley setup you can do on the c7 maggie won't make close to 700rwhp. I believe CPR maxed one out.

The 1st race maybe close but in my experience the centri holds up a LOT better to repeated pulls and maintaining power. PDs need time to recover, and cool. If they are both cool it will be a close race, but heat soak is an issue with most PDs without extensive upgrades.
Correct we max'd one out with the upper pulley, he is a non dry sump and iw does not make a over driven lower yet for them as the Maggie kit runs off the oem ribs on the crank pulley not an added front section like all the centri kits. Car made 67x rwhp with a cam, our longtubes, corsa exhaust, e85. On like 9 psi.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:29 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Seannyc
Gotcha

Click the link below for the thread in C6 section that lists ET's and MPH...fastest in each mod categories and engine size. The top cars will have centri or twin turbos. The Magnuson the OP installed is the best developed so far but a good case could be made for the Callaway unit as well. The centris have been making low ET's high MPH for long time...PD blowers not so much. The statistics don't lie but it's up to owner preference. Some owners of PD blowers may feel a little "butt hurt" but this is reality if we're talking ET and MPH and if you're talking 1/2 mile - 1 mile pulls a PD blower will need a lot more support to keep from heat soaking and pulling timing. If and when PD blower manufactures find a way to make the housings from a composite like Zytel or other it will help a great deal managing heat soak. The way it looks now the auto manufacturers will replace the PD's on Corvettes, Hellcats, etc.. with TT's as seen on the Caddy ATS-V and on the upcoming Caddy TT V8 4.2L in the CT6. It's a good bet that Corvette and Camaro will receive a TT V8 in the future as compared to the PD that contributes to overheating issues with C7 ZO6 on roadcourse events. The PD 1.7L blower is not the sole source of this issue but definitely a contributor. This will be argued but do the research and make you own assessment. I've driven all three TT, PD and centri.
Best of luck in making YOUR decision.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...challenge.html
Old 01-31-2016, 04:04 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Click the link below for the thread in C6 section that lists ET's and MPH...fastest in each mod categories and engine size. The top cars will have centri or twin turbos. The Magnuson the OP installed is the best developed so far but a good case could be made for the Callaway unit as well. The centris have been making low ET's high MPH for long time...PD blowers not so much. The statistics don't lie but it's up to owner preference. Some owners of PD blowers may feel a little "butt hurt" but this is reality if we're talking ET and MPH and if you're talking 1/2 mile - 1 mile pulls a PD blower will need a lot more support to keep from heat soaking and pulling timing. If and when PD blower manufactures find a way to make the housings from a composite like Zytel or other it will help a great deal managing heat soak. The way it looks now the auto manufacturers will replace the PD's on Corvettes, Hellcats, etc.. with TT's as seen on the Caddy ATS-V and on the upcoming Caddy TT V8 4.2L in the CT6. It's a good bet that Corvette and Camaro will receive a TT V8 in the future as compared to the PD that contributes to overheating issues with C7 ZO6 on roadcourse events. The PD 1.7L blower is not the sole source of this issue but definitely a contributor. This will be argued but do the research and make you own assessment. I've driven all three TT, PD and centri.
Best of luck in making YOUR decision.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...challenge.html

Thx
I pretty much decided now lol
Old 01-31-2016, 05:44 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

If you want big power and 10+ psi, absolutely go centrifugal. If you don't want to run meth and are good with 650ish, the Heartbeat is a winner. Here's an interesting thread from a guy that's had both. He knows his stuff just a little too. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stock-c7.html
Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Originally Posted by old motorhead
If you want big power and 10+ psi, absolutely go centrifugal. If you don't want to run meth and are good with 650ish, the Heartbeat is a winner. Here's an interesting thread from a guy that's had both. He knows his stuff just a little too. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stock-c7.html
I want around 700 750whp Good power also a daily I only put around 5 to 8k miles ayear tops

I don't want to use meth just cuz I will always have to add it but I will have to get it and in the future to add the lt4 injectors and pump to eliminate the meth

And maybe forged Pistons down the road if I ever add more power

I just wanted to see which was faster on a centi or roots style with 700whp

Seems like there both good just the centi will make higher traps and better highway pulling which is we're I like my power
Old 01-31-2016, 06:51 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

I wish you all the best pushing 700+ without meth. That's a pretty tall order without additional octane.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:18 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Likely whatever power you make with whatever blower/turbo you choose.....you will want more power. Boost is addictive so don't try to fool yourself and say "I only want xxx power". I guarantee if you have money or credit you'll spend it for more power. AND, the easier power is to gain as in pulley swap and meth the sooner you will do it. It's just the way it is in the world of forced induction. You'll never know how much power is enough until you go past it then back it down some.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:49 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Sometimes enough is enough though. Whether you reach the point of "I'm not spending any more" or just decide that it doesn't make any sense to add more power. Not everyone is a power crazed maniac that absolutely can't get enough. If you know you're "that guy" that can't get enough, plan accordingly
Old 01-31-2016, 08:33 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Sometimes enough is enough though. Whether you reach the point of "I'm not spending any more" or just decide that it doesn't make any sense to add more power. Not everyone is a power crazed maniac that absolutely can't get enough. If you know you're "that guy" that can't get enough, plan accordingly
With all due respect old motorhead, most owners that choose forced induction do so for the large gains and fit into a demographic that will always want more if attainable. Read C5 and C6 forced induction sections and it is evident. The two things that stop most are broken drivelines and/or broken wallets. If not for those two issues most would be driving 1000 hp+ cars. Once mod fever starts it's like opening pandora's box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27s_box
Old 01-31-2016, 08:41 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Well, we'll have to agree to respectfully disagree on this one. There's a huge amount of Vettes out there that are stock or minimally modded. Just because someone wants more power doesn't mean they're going to become obsessed and never be able to say enough is enough. I've seen it both ways. Good news is that we all have options.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I agree with OMH. 99% of blown vettes I see out there are just blower/headers, 550-600rwhp.

Then again, the average age of owners is probably 70 on all those cars.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:52 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sagertat
They say 10-12 hours. Ha. If this was installed in 10-12 hours I'd be concerned that something was missed. Try 40-50 for me. But I really took my time to inventory parts and read through each section before starting that section. I was in no hurry and made it fun. Nothing worse than rushing and having to backtrack later.

Overall very straight forward. Nothing you can't do yourself if you take your time. The instructions were the best. Every step very detailed with a photo for each step. 279 steps in all. That's how detailed. None of this "step 1 - remove engine, step 2...". The hardest part was to set the supercharger. It's reasonably heavy. The instructions show two guys setting it on. Yeah, I suppose. But the trick is it has to tuck under the cowl by the windshield. Holding it at a weird angle and not banging it into the intake might be tricky. I bought a $79.00 (use a coupon) overhead hoist from Harbor Freight to hold the weight while I easily positioned it. Was way easy that way.

The front bumper removal is not too bad if you figure out that the last part is to lift the bumper slightly and loosen the two bolts on the remaining bracket. The instructions show this. If you try to just pry it off might end badly. How many times do we pull on something and the damn plastic clip breaks ruining an expensive part. The only part in the instructions that needs updated is they show removing the wheels and wheel liners to remove the bumper. NOT needed and adds a-lot of unnecessary work. They should remove those 10 steps.

The stock tune they provided has the cooling fan running all the time. IMO that’s not needed. If the ECT is maintaining, I don’t need the fan roaring. They modified it for me and that resolved that. They have been very responsive with tunes - typically same day.
I love doing mods on my own or just basic maintenance work on my own if I can. The gratification afterwards is always the best - but at the same time I feel like I may screw something up and then be sorry I even tried. 279 steps? Sounds very time consuming and in depth.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:46 PM
sagertat
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, we'll have to agree to respectfully disagree on this one. There's a huge amount of Vettes out there that are stock or minimally modded. Just because someone wants more power doesn't mean they're going to become obsessed and never be able to say enough is enough. I've seen it both ways. Good news is that we all have options.
I'll have to jump in here. As the OP, I am very satisfied with the kit AS-IS. There are diminishing returns to mods. I already have trouble keeping the stock C7 Z51 tires from slipping with the added power. Granted my drives have been with temps in the 50's, but I have been unable to apply WOT yet (all my drives have been lower speeds). And that's at 5000 FT elevation. So I don't know how more power would be safe or even usable unless better tires/etc come first.

ps. I'm decades under 70

Last edited by sagertat; 01-31-2016 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (12-27-2018)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 PM
sagertat
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DanMan35
I love doing mods on my own or just basic maintenance work on my own if I can. The gratification afterwards is always the best - but at the same time I feel like I may screw something up and then be sorry I even tried. 279 steps? Sounds very time consuming and in depth.
Trust me, 279 steps was a plus. It means you are getting all the information and pictures for each step in detail. I understand your hesitation. Not too many weekend DIYers are willing to modify a new car with 3000 miles that cost $68k and basically void the engine warranty. But with that said, the kit was a perfect fit and finish. Very well engineered and literally like OEM. I had only a few very minor issues and never felt like "Oh crap, what have I done". If you are serious about the kit, get the instructions and read them over. I read them over twice to make sure there wasn't going to be any steps I couldn't handle. In the end it was very satisfying to do the work myself. I know I can fix most issues that might come up now. As far as time consuming, it was a blast.

If you or anyone else decides to go for it, I'm happy to answer questions.

Last edited by sagertat; 01-31-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed a Magnuson Supercharger on a Z51...

Old 04-17-2017, 12:12 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Wasn't sure if I should PM the OP or revive this old thread...Anyway, I just ordered the Magnuson Heartbeat for my 2016 Z51 and was wondering how your vette had been doing with it. Any major problems?

I would also love to do it myself but I'm having it done by certified installer so I can get the Magnuson power train warranty...

Thanks,
Pj
Old 04-17-2017, 12:18 PM
sagertat
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pj-c7
Wasn't sure if I should PM the OP or revive this old thread...Anyway, I just ordered the Magnuson Heartbeat for my 2016 Z51 and was wondering how your vette had been doing with it. Any major problems?

I would also love to do it myself but I'm having it done by certified installer so I can get the Magnuson power train warranty...

Thanks,
Pj
No issues with 10,000 miles on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by sagertat:
1ccrider (04-18-2017), JerriVette (12-27-2018)
Old 04-17-2017, 12:50 PM
pj-c7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome, thanks!

Pj.

Quick Reply: Installed a Magnuson Supercharger on a Z51...