C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for type of forced induction 2015 auto Z51

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:43 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Suggestions for type of forced induction 2015 auto Z51

This is for a 2015 auto Z51 for some trips to the track during mid fall through mid spring. I may make 5 trips a year. On the street, I drive semi-aggressively, however no street racing.

I was contemplating trading for a Hellcat Challenger, but I love the looks of my Vette, plus it's around 800 pounds lighter. It would cost me right at $20,000 to trade in the Vette and to get the payments about the same. Plus I have a huge equity in the Vette.

So I thought about putting some money in the Vette.

Here is a thread started by Patrick G, who's done work on my Pontiac G8 GXP and his work was outstanding. He has my full respect.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stock-c7.html

Basically this thread sold me on the Heartbeat supercharger, however compared to a procharger the price is quite a bit higher. I found a place that will knock off some bucks, but is this Heartbeat 'that' much better than a procharger? I would also want to keep it aggressive, yet safe, somewhere in the middle ground.

I also want to keep my warranty..........pause for laughs...........

I also bought a set of Kooks 1 7/8 longtubes and a catted X pipe, plus and AFE CAI on black Friday sales. Plus I have a diablo I-1000 in the box, unopened. I imagine I might have all the parts, including supercharger or turbo, installed at the same time. Also, I'm keeping the same NPP axlebacks that are currently on the car.

Knowing all of this, any and all suggestions are appreciated, including site sponsors. However lets keep it friendly.

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 02-05-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:58 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts

The Magnuson is a roots style positive displacement blower and the Procharger is a centrifugal supercharger, so they will have very different manners and behaviors. The torque curve on PD setups hits sooner and at lower RPM's, while peak torque on the CI setups comes in at higher RPM's and a bit more gradually. You may want to check out all the pro’s and con’s of each type, to see what you think will fit your intended use case the best.

I will likely be going with the A&A centrifugal setup, because it has great bang for the buck, is well engineered, and is CARB rated (I‘m in Commiefornia). I like the centrifugal setup for my uses better than the PD setups. I can cruise around and not get into boost unless I want to (for the most part), and it will keep the tire spin a little more controlled, since that is already an issue without forced induction.

Almost none of the choices will "Keep your warranty" for the bits that are directly affected by the modification, but some do offer a warranty in addition to the one you would be voiding (like Edlebrock). I do beleive that Callaway works with GM, and if you have them install the supercharger and tune it, you keep your warranty in tact (you may want to fact check that though, I am not 100% sure).

Last edited by only9balls; 02-05-2016 at 01:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by only9balls:
BenCasey (02-06-2016), OLD_GOAT (02-06-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 AM
0JDP Tech
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Both systems are excellent. Another to consider IMO is the ECS Kit. We've made great power with all of these. As previously mentioned, the PD blowers are going to make power much sooner. The curves are more different that one might imagine. Similarly equiped vehicles (peak power) can see as much as 200 HP and TQ less from a centri blower as opposed to a PD blower at 3-4000 rpms. When the PD blowers are falling off though, the centri blowers are still climbing.

There is a lot to consider before buying. Traction, chassis, preference and the list could go on and on. I'd love to discuss your options, if you ever need. Give us a call, email or PM

All the best,

Jared Royce

Last edited by JDP Tech; 02-05-2016 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (02-09-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM
jacksnorm
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT
This is for a 2015 auto Z51 for some trips to the track during mid fall through mid spring. I may make 5 trips a year. On the street, I drive semi-aggressively, however no street racing.

I was contemplating trading for a Hellcat Challenger, but I love the looks of my Vette, plus it's around 800 pounds lighter. It would cost me right at $20,000 to trade in the Vette and to get the payments about the same. Plus I have a huge equity in the Vette.

So I thought about putting some money in the Vette.

Here is a thread started by Patrick G, who's done work on my Pontiac G8 GXP and his work was outstanding. He has my full respect.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stock-c7.html

Basically this thread sold me on the Heartbeat supercharger, however compared to a procharger the price is quite a bit higher. I found a place that will knock off some bucks, but is this Heartbeat 'that' much better than a procharger? I would also want to keep it aggressive, yet safe, somewhere in the middle ground.

I also want to keep my warranty..........pause for laughs...........

I also bought a set of Kooks 1 7/8 longtubes and a catted X pipe, plus and AFE CAI on black Friday sales. Plus I have a diablo I-1000 in the box, unopened. I imagine I might have all the parts, including supercharger or turbo, installed at the same time. Also, I'm keeping the same NPP axlebacks that are currently on the car.

Knowing all of this, any and all suggestions are appreciated, including site sponsors. However lets keep it friendly.

The C7 Z51 is more like 1000lbs lighter than a Hellcat they weigh in at 4500lbs. I think you will be more than satisfied with an added Supercharger and will smoke a stock Hellcat. Me personally I'd go with Centrifical my car drives as stock as long as I stay out of boost.

The Centrifical kits may add 60 to 80lbs of weight post install.You can always turn it up and add Meth injection proven combo Headers/Meth/SuperCharger of choice.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Give A/A a call if you are going to keep all other parts stock go with the smaller head unit set up with meth just for info call it a day. You will love it on the car. It will drive like a stock c7 until you hit the right foot on the floor. Robert
OLD_GOAT (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 01:18 PM
BenCasey
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 188 Posts

The A&A kit adds 60-80 pounds!? That seems pretty high. If anyone can confirm the install weight, I would appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I also personally like the feel of a centri over a roots or top mount blower. Both will give you similar power but deliver it differently. Like stated above a top mount you will always be in boost, at any throttle position, where as a centri will start building boost around 2500 rmps and will rev out farther where a top mount will usually go flat or start losing power. Top mount units usually produce more heat also.

A centri you will get more bang for your buck, and also better fuel economy. With a centri setup you can drive it and never hit boost, so normal driving gas mileage will be better with a centri.

Some units like a Callaway you will get a limited warranty. When I threw an ECS unit on back early 14 with about 3k miles on it. I was not worried about the warranty as I drive my car usually on the weekends. I have about 17k miles on my car now, and my car is over 1100rwhp, with the stock drivetrain (just switched some parts last week) without issues.

ECS, Procharger and A&A all make great centri units that will make you fall in love with your car all over again.
OLD_GOAT (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM
Houston C7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A&A Kit Weight

My kit came in a box that was marked 108.x pounds. It was every bit of 100 + pounds, as I had to wrestle it around.

It was very well packed, so a few pounds was cardboard and packing wrap. It came with a already cut open replacement lower shroud/valence or whatever that piece is called that is replaced wunder where the intercooler sits, so that takes away a few pounds. I'd guess that what is installed is a good 90+ pounds, if not right at a hundred.

I added meth as well, so I know i have an additional 100 pounds on the front end of the car.

Well worth it, though.

Originally Posted by BenCasey
The A&A kit adds 60-80 pounds!? That seems pretty high. If anyone can confirm the install weight, I would appreciate it.
BenCasey (02-06-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:04 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I put the ECS kit on with Methanol and LT headers. I'm running 10 lbs of boost and I'm at ~700 RWHP and I can tell you, you can easily beat a Hellcat and GTR as well as a stock Z06.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:26 AM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I put the ECS kit on with Methanol and LT headers. I'm running 10 lbs of boost and I'm at ~700 RWHP and I can tell you, you can easily beat a Hellcat and GTR as well as a stock Z06.
Uhg... you guys are all costing me a lot of money!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by only9balls
Uhg... you guys are all costing me a lot of money!
Keep in mind with an A8, you'll probably between 650-675. I have an M7
Old 02-07-2016, 11:53 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

With the centri, do you have to have meth.?

Basically I'm just wanting to have some sort of plug and play with much to worry about. Will these centri's add a lot of upkeep?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

With the centri, do you have to have meth.?

Basically I'm just wanting to have some sort of plug and play with much to worry about. Will these centri's add a lot of upkeep?
Meth is not required, just helpful. It allows the motor to run cooler and effectively raises the working octane level of the fuel by cooling off the intake charge, which is helpful since these motors run fairly high compression ratios (plus, as an added bonus, it can aid in reducing carbon build up, since it cleans the intake ports). If you tune the motor to use high octane pump gas, without the meth, it will be ok, just net a bit less HP and lower boost levels. Upkeep should be very low... just changing the compressor oil when you change the engine oil.

Last edited by only9balls; 02-08-2016 at 12:00 AM.
OLD_GOAT (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Running 93 octane you will probably be OK with 7-8 lbs of boost. If your running 10+ lbs, you need Meth or an E-85 conversion.
OLD_GOAT (02-08-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 07:30 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

I'm going to bump this thread as I was schooled today. One place was the owner and the other place was a mechanic who happened to be having a slow day.

I was leaning toward A and A, however the mechanic stated that if the belt breaks, with both the A and A and ECS the belt was difficult to change as compared with the Procharger. He also claimed that belts frequently break and that the supercharger can 'freeze up.'

If there are problems inherent to having a supercharger, these are problems I can live without. Are there that many problems with superchargers, or is he overstating them?

My plans all along were to have long tubes, catted X pipe, and a supercharger installed and tuned at the same time. I also have 2 brand new Nitto NT05R drag radials to install. However after today, I'm considering having the long tubes, catted X, and an AFE CAI installed along with a tune by diablolew. This would mean forgetting all about the supercharger, at least for now.

Thoughts?

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 02-19-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:28 PM
only9balls
Burning Brakes

I'm going to bump this thread as I was schooled today. One place was the owner and the other place was a mechanic who happened to be having a slow day.

I was leaning toward A and A, however the mechanic stated that if the belt breaks, with both the A and A and ECS the belt was difficult to change as compared with the Procharger. He also claimed that belts frequently break and that the supercharger can 'freeze up.'

If there are problems inherent to having a supercharger, these are problems I can live without. Are there that many problems with superchargers, or is he overstating them?

My plans all along were to have long tubes, catted X pipe, and a supercharger installed and tuned at the same time. I also have 2 brand new Nitto NT05R drag radials to install. However after today, I'm considering having the long tubes, catted X, and an AFE CAI installed along with a tune by diablolew. This would mean forgetting all about the supercharger, at least for now.

Thoughts?
^^^ I would be interested in this info too... I hadn't heard about belts breaking "often".
Old 02-19-2016, 11:44 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

What are your ET & top speed goals at the Strip? That pretty much determines what mods you are looking to do.

As for keeping your warranty, the long tubes + appropriate required tune will void it, so you my as well go for it.

I turned a 11.82 with just intake mods, stock engine,stock exhaust, stock tune and RF tires. Temp was high 70's and DA was nearly 1500. Same day a friend with a 14' M7 w/ A&A + methanol, long tubes & O5R's that has dyno'd at almost 650 RWHP, turned an 11.1. That works out to about a thousand dollars a tenth of a second. With some practice he should easily be in the high 10's, but with DR's and some exhaust work, without changing my stock tune or voiding my warranty, I should be able to knock off a few more tenths too. My biggest fear on warranty is the A8 so not pushing the limit for a few more years.

Patrick G also tuned my cammed G8 that is almost as quick as my Vette.
He does great work.

Last edited by EcoBrick Bob; 02-19-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:01 AM
Mariano
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a centri (ECS) on my C7, Z51m A6. I had a twin screw S/C on my previous LS3 powered car.

There is no substitute for bottom end torque on the street. Its all about the flat torque curve of the twin screws. Torque is fun. When comparing the driving experience between a PD and a centri; it's different kind of power delivery even if the top end dyno numbers are similar.

Based on your stated intended use; by all means, go with the Maggie.

Mariano

PS: Warranty? We don't need no stinkin' warranty!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mariano; 02-20-2016 at 12:03 AM.
OLD_GOAT (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 12:01 AM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
As for keeping your warranty, the long tubes + appropriate required tune will void it, so you my as well go for it.
I fully agree, once they see those long tube headers, games over for the drivetrain warranty.

I turned a 11.82 with just intake mods, stock engine,stock exhaust, stock tune and RF tires. Temp was high 70's and DA was nearly 1500. Same day a friend with a 14' M7 w/ A&A + methanol, long tubes & O5R's that has dyno'd at almost 650 RWHP, turned an 11.1. That works out to about a thousand dollars a tenth of a second. With some practice he should easily be in the high 10's, but with DR's and some exhaust work, without changing my stock tune or voiding my warranty, I should be able to knock off a few more tenths too. My biggest fear on warranty is the A8 so not pushing the limit for a few more years.
I'm lucky, I raced in around -800 DA at Royal Purple and turned in a bone stock 11.63. It was a hero run and somehow or another I got a 1.718 sixty foot time on the stock tires. I warmed up the tires pretty good, did the launch control thing and the tires hooked big time. I really don't have a goal of e.t. or mph at the strip, I've never owned a far with forced induction, and at this time I'm really considering it.

Patrick G also tuned my cammed G8 that is almost as quick as my Vette.
He does great work.
He also did long tubes, catted x, and 3200 Yank on my G8 GXP, plus a great tune on top of that. He told me the only way my car would get an 11.9x was if I could mine shaft DA, and one night we had mine shaft DA or around -1100 and I ran three 11.9x that night. Patrick G is THE MAN!

Last edited by OLD_GOAT; 02-20-2016 at 12:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for type of forced induction 2015 auto Z51

Quick Reply: Suggestions for type of forced induction 2015 auto Z51