C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what RWHP does traction become an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:06 AM
Muuhaha
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Perfect advice! Thanks for the heads up

Originally Posted by Motohead279
I have had my car at almost every power level you can, started with a simple ECS1500 kit at around 600rwhp and am now at close to 1400rwhp.

My car was the most fun at the 650rwhp mark. I had an ECS1500 kit (8 PSI) with a single nozzle meth kit. Stock tires were useless and I had Toyo 88s on there (315 rear on a Forgeline Wheel) The car hooked up very well, although you could still spin it in 1st and 2nd if you wanted. But for the most part the car tracked really well and just hauled ***. Once you start getting into any more power than that you need to be looking at drag radials if you really want to hook.

If you want the perfect street car I would stay stick under the 650 range with a good sticky tire.

If you do a supercharger I would definitely do a meth kit. Not really just for a few hp, but more as a safety precaution.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:11 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
Look in not trying to say the Z06 is a terrible car but it does have more power than the traction it offers can handle.

Read/watch this motor trend shootout and they directly address and complain about it.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-...he-911-gt3-rs/

There have been other reviews that mention it as well.

Some confusion here. This article says that the ZO6 with street tires, driven ALL OUT on a race track, can be hard to handle. Whereas the ACR, with bigger, softer tires, and a massive rear wing, is not.

What has that got to do with this conversation and driving a ZO6 on the street? If you drive around a corner, with your foot to the floor, on your ZO6, on the way to your tennis club, you may need some body work.

Last edited by jim2092; 02-24-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:22 AM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

man if our vette was AWD it would be such a beast,

this is my first RWD sports car, all the rest were advanced AWD sports cars, i.e the evo x and such,

i know they want to stick to traditions but again it should be leaning towards technology advances,

also i know it would add weight but at the end it would be worth it,
Old 02-24-2016, 10:01 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
Some confusion here. This article says that the ZO6 with street tires, driven ALL OUT on a race track, can be hard to handle. Whereas the ACR, with bigger, softer tires, and a massive rear wing, is not.

What has that got to do with this conversation and driving a ZO6 on the street? If you drive around a corner, with your foot to the floor, on your ZO6, on the way to your tennis club, you may need some body work.
No confusion honestly.

If you dont push the Z06 you will be fine.

All of those cars tested were "as is" off the dealer floor.

And regardless of how its spun when it comes down to it the Z06 does not have enough traction to make use of its power.

If you are putting around on the street then of course you wont have a problem, but then you are kinda defeating the purpose of buying a high powered sports car.

My vette does not slip around everywhere daily driving it but if I do really push the car it does run into some traction issues.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:47 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
No confusion honestly.

If you dont push the Z06 you will be fine.

All of those cars tested were "as is" off the dealer floor.

And regardless of how its spun when it comes down to it the Z06 does not have enough traction to make use of its power.

If you are putting around on the street then of course you wont have a problem, but then you are kinda defeating the purpose of buying a high powered sports car.

My vette does not slip around everywhere daily driving it but if I do really push the car it does run into some traction issues.
If your argument is that my ZO6 has 28% more horsepower than your Stingray but only 16% more rear tire. Then you are correct. But if you used the information in that magazine to not buy a ZO6, you have been mislead. You should have driven one. If you wanted to drive the ZO6 beyond the considerable traction of the stock 12" rear tires, stickier tires are available.

Last edited by jim2092; 02-24-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:50 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Good deal -- I was going to go no meth this summer and do meth next winter just to have something to do, but didn't want to pay full price to retune. I guess I should ask my tuner what price I'd be looking at to see if it's worth it.

Not to ask an obvious question, but clearly you found the higher HP more enjoyable? It wasn't overkill or made driving it a hassle ...?

No its not overkill. You do have to pay a bit more attention. At 535rwhp it drove almost like stock. At 645 you just have to be a bit more careful.

Also the noise level is way different, not from the exhaust but from the engine.

Is the car faster at 645 than 535....yes if it hooks but that with stock tires is happening a lot less than at 535.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:52 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

The ZO6 had a PD blower.

Put a PD blower on a C7 and I doubt the traction would be there. 500ft lbs off idle looks great on paper, works poorly in reality from a dead stop.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:07 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2092
If your argument is that my ZO6 has 28% more horsepower than your Stingray but only 16% more rear tire. Then you are correct. But if you used the information in that magazine to not buy a ZO6, you have been mislead. You should have driven one. If you wanted to drive the ZO6 beyond the considerable traction of the stock 12" rear tires, stickier tires are available.
No I bought last year when GM was still giving a very generous supplier discount on the C7. If they had been giving it on Z06 I likely would have bought that.

At any rate regardless of traction I have full intent, like OP, to add more power to my vette.

Even as a vette owner I can be honest with myself about the car. It is low on traction for how much power it has. Does it make the car uncontrollable? No

Will I be upgrading to wider rear tires when I add more power to my car? Heck yes.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:45 AM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

775 whp here. I have 295 Toyo r888s. in cold weather, it's spins at over 100mph.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:17 AM
Muuhaha
Pro

Originally Posted by ilivas
775 whp here. I have 295 Toyo r888s. in cold weather, it's spins at over 100mph.
Did you go straight to that power or did you have a lower RWHP you can give some insight on?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,382 Likes on 1,240 Posts

my man, there is no official power level. as you mentioned, the tires will easily spin with a stock car. you add power, they spin easier. the more power added, the easier they spin.

the best way to make sure you have traction is tightening up the loose nut behind the wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by Higgs Boson:
Motohead279 (02-25-2016), StingerBG (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:53 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
my man, there is no official power level. as you mentioned, the tires will easily spin with a stock car. you add power, they spin easier. the more power added, the easier they spin.

the best way to make sure you have traction is tightening up the loose nut behind the wheel.
You rock Higgs
Old 02-25-2016, 12:37 PM
Muuhaha
Pro

Agreed, but there is a level where the stockers will spin in 1st and hook in second, and a level where they will spin through 4th --
Old 02-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Agreed, but there is a level where the stockers will spin in 1st and hook in second, and a level where they will spin through 4th --
How long is a piece of string?

horsepower is not the only variable. air temperature, surface temp, surface makeup, surface condition, surface angle, tire size, compound, and tread, gear ratio/torque multiplication, pedal pressure rate, spark lead, boost level, engine efficiency, torque management, traction control settings, I mean come on I could go on forever.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Muuhaha
Pro

Thanks god particle! it was a general question -- I got my answer from those who understood that.

How long is a piece of string?

horsepower is not the only variable. air temperature, surface temp, surface makeup, surface condition, surface angle, tire size, compound, and tread, gear ratio/torque multiplication, pedal pressure rate, spark lead, boost level, engine efficiency, torque management, traction control settings, I mean come on I could go on forever.
The following users liked this post:
Higgs Boson (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 02:15 PM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Traction issues says you, fun-o-meter says I!
Old 02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Maybe its the concrete they use in Texas or in other places.

Up here in Michigan traction is fantastic, especially if your on real cement. Of course our roads are courser due to winter weather and that.

Stock you REALLY have had do something dumb to get it loose even from a dead stop. I have a manual but in a few A8's and they just go, no tire spin, nothing.

As I mentioned at 535rwhp I could roll into first gear until about 3,500, hit it and it would hook the entire way.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-25-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To At what RWHP does traction become an issue?

Old 02-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by NoOne
Maybe its the concrete they use in Texas or in other places.

Up here in Michigan traction is fantastic, especially if your on real cement. Of course our roads are courser due to winter weather and that.

Stock you REALLY have had do something dumb to get it loose even from a dead stop. I have a manual but in a few A8's and they just go, no tire spin, nothing.

As I mentioned at 535rwhp I could roll into first gear until about 3,500, hit it and it would hook the entire way.
same way here, just depends on the road. there mostly asphalt roads here and they can get pretty slick.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:52 PM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you go straight to that power or did you have a lower RWHP you can give some insight on?
I was making 516 whp on stock tires and they would spin 1st gear. I made 658whp on stock tires and that was just not happening.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:22 AM
imxz28
Drifting

Received 456 Likes on 174 Posts

I have 600rwhp on bone stock nonZ51 wheels/tires and can tell you it gets your heart racing during these cold winter days. Anything under 100mph she can and will spin. On warmer days above 60* and sun warming the road, it's not near as bad. However even on the warmer days, in 2nd (on my A8) spin is bad enough for the traction control system pull tons of timing and bring the traction problem down some.
But this A8 hits hard in all gears and 3rd can get loose too.
All of this is on a concrete surface. Forget asphalt. It spins way too easy. You just need to learn how to keep your foot out of the gas on certain surfaces.

Really stock power is about right for rat racing on city street and not having to worry too much about losing control.
My advice is to start off with the ECS 7lbs plate and a single nozzle meth kit to get the octane you need during the dog days of summer. Go for a solid tune and manage the power with your right foot and brain. Just be sure you're going in a straight line with you get into the throttle hard.

You're going to be so stoked about gaining 200+ HP.
I gained 219rwhp over bone stock with just A&A w/3.8 pulley, TSP headers and single 10gph Alky Control. Love it and wouldn't reject the though of 1 or 2 more lbs of boost going to the 3.6 pulley which would probably be 35 to 40 more rwhp on an A8.

If stock power isn't enough for you, then just go for the gusto. It gets scary fast but you control it... Use your head!

Quick Reply: At what RWHP does traction become an issue?