C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed a backup alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 12:16 AM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Has anyone installed a backup alarm?

I realize we have a backup camera, but I miss the backup alarm combined with the rear camera that I have on my other vehicles.

Has anyone installed a backup alarm system, or considered doing it?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:48 AM
'16C7
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I realize we have a backup camera, but I miss the backup alarm combined with the rear camera that I have on my other vehicles.

Has anyone installed a backup alarm system, or considered doing it?
great idea
Old 02-25-2016, 12:41 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

With the pic showing up really good for a person don't see why anyone would need it. Just my 2 cents on this back it up to next to the last line and done.. Robert
Old 02-25-2016, 12:57 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
With the pic showing up really good for a person don't see why anyone would need it. Just my 2 cents on this back it up to next to the last line and done.. Robert
I too thought so till I have had numerous close calls.

Where this will be advantageous is when you are in a parking lot next to other vehicles which are always bigger and taller than the Vette. If you start backing out and someone is driving or walkingby you immediately know to stop. This has happened to me many times here in SW FL. And no... it isn't always possible to park far away from other vehicles. It would also allow you to be looking at other things like side clearance if you are backing up into a garage or parking spaces etc, instead of having to concentrate on viewing what's behind you, especially at night or when going from a dark place to a very bright one or vice versa.

I installed backup systems on both of my G8 GT's that were GM accessories. Believe they were probably standard equipment on some Holdens in AU. Thinking those could work as they are color keyed to car and the G8 Black is almost identical to the Carbon Flash color.

Since I painted my lower rear valance VY, I will have to either have black one's mounted there or mount them in the Carbon Flash areas around the taillights or in the lower side scoops that are also black.

I believe there are also some license plate frames with this built in but have no experience with them.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:13 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Where this will be advantageous is when you are in a parking lot next to other vehicles which are always bigger and taller than the Vette. If you start backing out and someone is driving or walkingby you immediately know to stop. This has happened to me many times here in SW FL. And no... it isn't always possible to park far away from other vehicles. It would also allow you to be looking at other things like side clearance if you are backing up into a garage or parking spaces etc, instead of having to concentrate on viewing what's behind you, especially at night or when going from a dark place to a very bright one or vice versa.

I installed backup systems on both of my G8 GT's that were GM accessories. Believe they were probably standard equipment on some Holdens in AU. Thinking those could work as they are color keyed to car and the G8 Black is almost identical to the Carbon Flash color.

Since I painted my lower rear valance VY, I will have to either have black one's mounted there or mount them in the Carbon Flash areas around the taillights or in the lower side scoops that are also black.

I believe there are also some license plate frames with this built in but have no experience with them.
For the cost of it will not be much but per say time for putting it in the car.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

My buddy is getting one installed in his 2012 Grand Sport. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 AM
nytrorcr
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

I trust my eyes on the screen, I'm not threading a needle-just parking my car.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:37 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Oh yes I'd love to have one of those on My Vette.

Order from this guy, and he personally will install that horn on your Vette.

This is the DIY install

Old 11-22-2019, 11:03 AM
vettenik84
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vette Backup alarm

Agree whole-heartly with Ecco Bob--- just got over a $3K repair backing out driveway on heavy traveled narrow thru street -- when inconsiderate operator parked directly opposite my driveway--- I had to carefully monitor coming out of driveway to my left and right to avoid getting broadsided---- would have been great is my 2019 backup ALARM---since I wasn't watching video screen and forgot car was directly behind me.. Therefore-- looking to any suggestions on unit that I can install on my 2019 LT1 as soon as it come out of shop next week

Old 11-22-2019, 11:25 AM
vettenik84
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
My buddy is getting one installed in his 2012 Grand Sport. I'll let you know how it works out.
wondering how backup alarm object sensor worked out on your 2012 -- looking to install one on my 2019?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 PM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 225 Likes on 119 Posts

Over the years I've installed several backup alarms on a friend's fleet of commercial vehicles. Very easy to do except for the removal of the rear bumper. The backup alarm has two wires: a red power wire and a black ground wire. Just tap it across the two wires going to the reverse bulb and you're done. The alarm starts to beep loudly whenever the reverse light comes on. Removing the rear bumper isn't too bad, there's a how to do it video on YouTube.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:40 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Thread is the 3 years old so doubt you'll get a reply...

Originally Posted by geewez
The alarm starts to beep loudly whenever the reverse light comes on.
Totally different kind of alarm. What they are talking about here are the reverse sensors that beep inside the car to warn you about other vehicles that are not visible by the camera, IE: cross traffic. These beeper faster as you get closer to things. Like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,205 Likes on 3,452 Posts

Maybe just a beeper, instead? That way everyone else could watch out for us fogies in our ol' coot sports cars.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone installed a backup alarm?

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a backup alarm?