C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Sensors necessary on track wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Default TPMS Sensors necessary on track wheels?

Are TPMS sensors necessary for the C7 to operate correctly? Obviously I know without them they won't display tire pressure. I used to own a ZL1 that I tracked frequently but never had TPMS sensors in my track wheels and never had an issue other than a light coming on displaying an issue with the sensor. However I've heard on previous generation Corvettes if their aren't TPMS sensors the car will not operate properly. I'm about to go to the track this Sunday and currently my track wheel and tire set up does not have the sensors.

*EDIT*
After some research I found out that you can basically tell the car you know it doesn't have TPMS sensors and you're ok with it. However it doesn't look like it was tested yet in this article. Anyone have any information on this?

"If the car keeps finding some tires and won’t work, we put in an Easter egg to disable all interactions with TPMS. You stop, set the park brake, push the TCS button 6 times in 5 seconds. It will register that you were successful by blinking the TCS light for about 3-4 seconds. You have to do this every key cycle."

http://www.carsillustrated.com/secre...d-c7-corvette/

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 03-15-2016 at 09:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kaizah (03-16-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:24 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro
After some research I found out that you can basically tell the car you know it doesn't have TPMS sensors and you're ok with it. However it doesn't look like it was tested yet in this article. Anyone have any information on this?
I have the opposite problem, my track wheels have TPMS sensors installed and they work fine, but the car doesn't communicate with the sensors in my good HRE street wheels, something about where they are located in the HRE rim. I have my track wheels on the car right now, and will have for the next ten days, but when I switch back I'll see if this works to get rid of the warning light.

JV
Old 06-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
Are TPMS sensors necessary for the C7 to operate correctly? Obviously I know without them they won't display tire pressure. I used to own a ZL1 that I tracked frequently but never had TPMS sensors in my track wheels and never had an issue other than a light coming on displaying an issue with the sensor. However I've heard on previous generation Corvettes if their aren't TPMS sensors the car will not operate properly. I'm about to go to the track this Sunday and currently my track wheel and tire set up does not have the sensors.

*EDIT*

"If the car keeps finding some tires and won’t work, we put in an Easter egg to disable all interactions with TPMS. You stop, set the park brake, push the TCS button 6 times in 5 seconds. It will register that you were successful by blinking the TCS light for about 3-4 seconds. You have to do this every key cycle."

http://www.carsillustrated.com/secre...d-c7-corvette/
So what did you learn?? Did you have any issues without the TPMS sensors in the tires?
Old 06-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The sensors don't have to be in the wheels. The system reacts just like the C5 system did. It gives you a warning and all you have to do is hit reset. Nothing else needs to be done and when you reinstall wheels with sensors they are automatically recognized and the car stops giving you warning signals.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-03-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The sensors don't have to be in the wheels. The system reacts just like the C5 system did. It gives you a warning and all you have to do is hit reset. Nothing else needs to be done and when you reinstall wheels with sensors they are automatically recognized and the car stops giving you warning signals.

Bill
Exactly
Old 06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill B 1
So what did you learn?? Did you have any issues without the TPMS sensors in the tires?

Bill
Originally Posted by Magister Ludi
Exactly
In terms of handling I can't say what it did or didn't do. I had a severe rear end issue that ultimately was caused by rear caster not being properly set. All I got was the TPMS message, but it didn't reduce my speed and I was still able to drive in competitive mode.

I now have a set of TPMS sensors for my track wheels/tires, they auto relearn (or I can reset them manually) when I switch between track and street set ups.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:58 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Bill
Bumping this thread.

I’ve got a 2017 Z06 and bought a set of takeoff Grand Sport wheels for track wheels, and a set of takeoff TPMS sensors. I did a 2 day HPDE in October and a 1 day HPDE in November. The next to last session of the day I had a TPMS warning come on at the end of the session, so I ended my session and went into the pits. Scrolled to the tire pressure screen in the DIC and it was the right rear not reading. Checked it’s pressure and it was fine. Figured the battery was bad.

Went out for the last session, and had no issues going into PTM Sport 1. Partway through the session the sensor was picked back up by the car. Then went out again near the end of the session. Not a big deal. Bad battery I’m sure......guess that is what you get for buying takeoffs.

So, the day after the event I washed the car to get all the track off the car. Went out of town for Thanksgiving for a week. I hadn’t swapped my brake pads and wheels back to my street setup, but took the car out for a drive and got an Onstar email saying my Stabilitrak and Antilock brakes were not working and needed service immediately. Car would not let me go into PTM mode.

Swapped pads and wheels this morning. Went for a drive. TPMS sensors synced to the car and after that it would let me go into PTM mode.

So, was it because 1 sensor wasn’t reading that it kept me from going into PTM mode? Doesn’t make sense because I was able to for my last track session with the senor not reading. Was thinking of getting some light smaller diameter track wheels down the road, and I know others don’t use sensors on their track wheels, but don’t want to run into the same problem I just ran into not being able to get into PTM mode without them.

Any ideas?
Old 12-03-2017, 02:32 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

The C7 works fine if all sensors are working or you have no sensors working. It does have issues if you only have some sensors working. The drag racing guys see this when you have stock front wheels with sensors and rear drag wheels without them.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:04 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

As far as I know, the TPMS is a warning with NO other control functions. It doesn't tellthe car to change anything. it's just a light.

IF you are having other issues, well, you have other issues. It's not related to TPMS.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc. (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is a logical fallacy that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened simply to post hoc fallacy.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the drag guys are having isses because of the much different diameter of the drag tires. A different rolling diameter will cause all sorts of systems to have a hissy fit.

Last edited by rrsperry; 12-03-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:11 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
The C7 works fine if all sensors are working or you have no sensors working. It does have issues if you only have some sensors working. The drag racing guys see this when you have stock front wheels with sensors and rear drag wheels without them.
Thanks. I'll have to go back and check my PDR video and see if it kicked my out of PTM mode when the sensor quit reading. I don't think it did, and I was able to get into PTM mode prior to the next session with it not reading the 1 sensor.

I think I have 1 more day for these tires, the fronts anyway, the rears are better. But, doesn't do me much good if I can't get into PTM mode due to this 1 bad sensor.

I'll have to search again, but I thought I saw a post about being able to override the TPMS sensors by hitting the center button on the mode selector X amount of times. I assume this will allow the car into PTM mode.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:46 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Yup. Always a good idea to add TPMS to the rear drag setup for this reason.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

A little off topic, but my $.02. On my C7 Stingray, I had the sensors put into the track wheels, and I'm glad I did. Was at Road America where I somehow picked up a nail in my rear passenger tire. If not for the TPMS warning, I would not have known until it was too late to avoid any damage. After that experience, I'd never run track wheels without the system in place.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jedi-Jurist:
08G8V8 (12-05-2017), FYREANT (12-05-2017)
Old 11-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Donatella
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the same problem on a 17 GS. I installed a set of Forgeline wheels and the sensors don't communicate with the car. Dis you ever figure it out...
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS Sensors necessary on track wheels?

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensors necessary on track wheels?