C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More stopping power for 2016 Z06 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 06:04 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default More stopping power for 2016 Z06 brakes?

Have 2016 Z06 all stock in brake dept. Drove new 2016 911 Twin Turbo Porche over weekend and it has the most dynamic powerful brakes I have ever tested.....unbelievable powerful!!

So, I know the Z06 brakes are pretty good....however am wondering if upgrading the pads over stock would be of any greater benefit in faster stopping power.

If so, which pads, who makes them...what compound is best...cost? Any benefit of going to stainless steel brake lines on the Z06?

Anyone have any experience in upgrading Z06 stopping capabilities?

thanks....for any positive info...

NW

Last edited by NinjaZX14r; 04-11-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjaZX14r
Have 2016 Z06 all stock in brake dept. Drove new 2016 911 Twin Turbo Porche over weekend and it has the most dynamic powerful brakes I have ever tested.....unbelievable powerful!!

Did you really try them? I mean go out and make multiple stops from high speeds (triple digit) and then compare them to the Vette doing the same thing. If all you were doing was driving on the street there is no way to compare since it is all pedal effort and not max stopping capability.

So, I know the Z06 brakes are pretty good....however am wondering if upgrading the pads over stock would be of any greater benefit in faster stopping power.

Your stopping power is limited by the tires not the brakes. You could put more aggressive pads that have lots of torque at initial engagement but all that does is give you a sudden surge of brake torque without really adding any more stopping power.

If so, which pads, who makes them...what compound is best...cost? Any benefit of going to stainless steel brake lines on the Z06?

There are several vendors who can get you pads with more intial byte than the stockers but you will increase dust and probably rotor wear.

At some time SS lines may help but not on a new or newer car.

Anyone have any experience in upgrading Z06 stopping capabilities?

thanks....for any positive info...

NW
Bill
The following users liked this post:
WaFp (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Bill
Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I have to agree with Bill. But are you tracking the car? Carbotech makes several compounds for the new zo6 but you will increase rotor wear and noise I don't know about dust because those stock pads are pretty dusty. I will say that the Carbotech dust is non-corrosive will not harm your wheels or paint. Now if you are tracking the car that is a whole different story and we can talk about that. As far as SS lines no need for them at this point.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-13-2016, 12:06 PM
bgjersey30
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
I have to agree with Bill. But are you tracking the car? Carbotech makes several compounds for the new zo6 but you will increase rotor wear and noise I don't know about dust because those stock pads are pretty dusty. I will say that the Carbotech dust is non-corrosive will not harm your wheels or paint. Now if you are tracking the car that is a whole different story and we can talk about that. As far as SS lines no need for them at this point.
Ok which pads would you recommend for track use on stock rotors? I am looking to purchase some for a track event at Sebring next week
Old 04-13-2016, 02:14 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Which rotors? Carbon or Iron?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:22 PM
bgjersey30
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

Iron
Old 04-13-2016, 02:37 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bgjersey30
Iron
Cobalt XR1 pads are by far the best thing we have used when it comes to a performance pad for on track use.

Longer life, better wear on not only the pads but also the rotors. Best stopping performance of any pad on the market today.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by bgjersey30
Ok which pads would you recommend for track use on stock rotors? I am looking to purchase some for a track event at Sebring next week
I would run XP24 front and XP12 rear. These pads while being at the top of the track pad range are still very rotor friendly compared to the completion. If interested I will be happy to help you.

Carbotech™ XP24™ $414.00

XP24™ is the pinnacle compound of the extremely successful XP™ Series of compounds engineered by Carbotech™. This compound is based on the same fundamentals that exist in all other Carbotech™ formulations. XP24™ has even more initial bite, more overall bite, and more torque along with the most linear torque curve we have ever offered. The thermal characteristics are of the highest Carbotech™ offers along with one of the highest coefficient of friction ratings offered by anyone in the braking industry. This compound is the longest wearing compound Carbotech™ offers as it was originally engineered for endurance applications at the highest pro racing levels. This revolutionary new compound has been extremely successful with open wheel, closed wheel, sprint and endurance applications. XP24™ has a temperature range of 400°F to 2000°F+ (204°C to 1093°C+). Carbotech™ XP24™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise along with the necessary heat required to work properly.

Carbotech™ XP12™ $205.00

Another highly successful XP™ series compound with an excellent initial bite, torque and fade resistance over and above the XP10™ compound. XP12™ has temperature range of 250°F to 1850°F+ (121°C to 1010°C+). The XP12™ has that excellent Carbotech™ release and modulation that has made all other Carbotech™ compounds so successful. The XP12™ is more rotor aggressive than XP10™, but compared to the competition the XP12™ is still very rotor friendly. XP12™ is NOT recommended for use as a daily driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:10 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

We have put a lot of faith into Cobalt Friction brakes for years now. If you wander through any major Pro Sports car series you will find Cobalt on most of the cars out there...of course with PFC/Pagid/and a few others. They have been the pad of choice for Indy Lites as well as most of the World Challenge and Grand Am teams for some time now.

They don't make street car pads, and they don't make low dust show car stuff. They build pads for racers and the pads work. Plain and simple.

https://www.cobaltfriction.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

For weekend track cars XR1 or XR2 have been the preferred choice. With a car like a Z06, it has enough tire to use an XR1 and have power left in reserve if you need it.

Cobalt XR1 is an extremely high torque material with an aggressive initial bite and medium-high, linear rising torque curve. Excellent friction stability and consistency coupled with very good modulation, threshold control and release characteristics over the industry's broadest operating temperature range. The XR1 material has unmatched disc life and finish versus any other competing friction material of comparable torque. Well-suited for a wide range of platforms, including those with active aerodynamic profiles as well as limited downforce applications, and/or ABS-equipped as well as non-ABS vehicles, due to the direct line pressure to generated torque relationship.

Cobalt XR2 is a high torque material featuring an initial bite that is 8-10% lower than XR1, but with the same controlled transition to a linear, rising torque curve. Improved modulation, threshold control and release characteristics make the XR2 particularly well-suited for chassis and tire combinations which do not respond well to excessive initial brake energy, but still require a high average torque level. Similarly, vehicles normally equipped with XR1 can move directly to the XR2 when low-grip conditions present themselves unexpectedly (e.g. qualifying in the dry, but rain/wet conditions on race day) without sacrificing or experiencing a change in pedal feel, consistency, or brake capacity.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

http://ctbrakes.com/performance.asp
Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Cobalt XR1 pads are by far the best thing we have used when it comes to a performance pad for on track use.

Longer life, better wear on not only the pads but also the rotors. Best stopping performance of any pad on the market today.
My big question is can you switch from the Cobalt to the stock pads repeatedly without creating a glazing issue?

Get notified of new replies

To More stopping power for 2016 Z06 brakes?

Quick Reply: More stopping power for 2016 Z06 brakes?