C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding more power?

Old 04-14-2016, 07:47 AM
khaled
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding more power?

I am looking to add more power to my stingray without loosing the warranty , any suggestions ?

already have the NPP exhaust , K&N air filter , aero dynamic package and just ordered ARH mid length headers with CATS .

what else ?
Old 04-14-2016, 02:02 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Diablo Intune is your next move. Then for another $185 you send your logs to DiabLew he does a custom tune for your car. Worked well for me
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have major issues, GM is going to request all the data from your ECM. I asked Diablosport about Flash Counts and they could not give me a definitive answer if GM could read how many times the ECM had been flashed. All they told me is that the check sums looking at the tune, don't show their tune as having been there. The new ECM's show mileage data and more, so people who used to have 2 ECM's, one stock and one tuned can't do that anymore. In normal situations where an ECM update is required, removing the tune before a dealer flashes it, is all that is necessary, so you won't have any issues doing that no matter what.

I speak from experience with my Twin Turbo 3.5 2010 Ford Flex. Ford told me the ECM showed that it had been flashed nearly 100 times, the last being 12 miles ago, when I had a major issue. All this was true. Warranty claim was denied and it cost me $$$$$. But, it was almost worth it as I turned a 12.904 at 107 mph, along with several other high 12's! ( 213 cubic inches and 5,000 lbs) New Vette with less mods than you plan, has turned an 11.8 on run-flats. (377 c.i. and 3,400 lbs)
Old 04-14-2016, 09:45 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
If you have major issues, GM is going to request all the data from your ECM. I asked Diablosport about Flash Counts and they could not give me a definitive answer if GM could read how many times the ECM had been flashed. All they told me is that the check sums looking at the tune, don't show their tune as having been there. The new ECM's show mileage data and more, so people who used to have 2 ECM's, one stock and one tuned can't do that anymore. In normal situations where an ECM update is required, removing the tune before a dealer flashes it, is all that is necessary, so you won't have any issues doing that no matter what.

I speak from experience with my Twin Turbo 3.5 2010 Ford Flex. Ford told me the ECM showed that it had been flashed nearly 100 times, the last being 12 miles ago, when I had a major issue. All this was true. Warranty claim was denied and it cost me $$$$$. But, it was almost worth it as I turned a 12.904 at 107 mph, along with several other high 12's! ( 213 cubic inches and 5,000 lbs) New Vette with less mods than you plan, has turned an 11.8 on run-flats. (377 c.i. and 3,400 lbs)
We have already had Forum members with Diablo tunes suffer catastrophe failures. They reloaded their stock tune and had warranty coverage. So the debate goes on. Bottom line, be prepared to pay if you want to play.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:58 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dovervold
We have already had Forum members with Diablo tunes suffer catastrophe failures. They reloaded their stock tune and had warranty coverage. So the debate goes on. Bottom line, be prepared to pay if you want to play.
Heard that too... At first Ford also allowed failures under Warranty, but at some point that stopped cold turkey. Hope that it's true, but I couldn't get a guarantee that GM couldn't see that ECM had been flashed more times than the information reported to GM regarding needed flashes.

Obviously, my experience has made me much more cautious. Not willing to spend $$$$ again. I'm not really worried about the engine, as long as I don't supercharge and tune to the point of needing methanol. However, the A8 still concerns me, since mine is currently at local dealer having Torque Converter replaced. Went in Mon at 9 AM. 3+ day job with entire rear needing to be removed including Torque tube. Not finished as of 7PM Friday.

I do have a Halltech CAI, Katech TB, Formato Indake Manifold and a Borla X-Pipe. Otherwise stock... Have also had CV joint fail.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:55 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 597 Likes on 453 Posts

Heard that too... At first Ford also allowed failures under Warranty, but at some point that stopped cold turkey. Hope that it's true, but I couldn't get a guarantee that GM couldn't see that ECM had been flashed more times than the information reported to GM regarding needed flashes.

Obviously, my experience has made me much more cautious. Not willing to spend $$$$ again. I'm not really worried about the engine, as long as I don't supercharge and tune to the point of needing methanol. However, the A8 still concerns me, since mine is currently at local dealer having Torque Converter replaced. Went in Mon at 9 AM. 3+ day job with entire rear needing to be removed including Torque tube. Not finished as of 7PM Friday.

I do have a Halltech CAI, Katech TB, Formato Indake Manifold and a Borla X-Pipe. Otherwise stock... Have also had CV joint fail.
EcoBrick. ......I would love to here your car someday with the Borla X-Pipe. Also with a tune I am quite sure your car will run 11.30's or better in good air with a well prepared track. I went 11.88@118.31 at Bradenton bone stock. Sorry to hear about the warranty issues though
Old 04-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Captain McFunk
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't mind getting a follow-up regarding your torque converter replacement, how long it finally takes, and what the end results are, if you dont mind? Considering taking mine in, but i dont think i'm quite having the same issues as everyone else.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Captain McFunk
I wouldn't mind getting a follow-up regarding your torque converter replacement, how long it finally takes, and what the end results are, if you dont mind? Considering taking mine in, but i dont think i'm quite having the same issues as everyone else.
Have my A8 back after TC replacement. Tranny shifts into gear quicker, but really wasn't slow before. Also feel it shifts up and down smoother, but again I never really had those issues. Not feeling any shudder. They had my car for around 4 days before it was fixed. However, they also replaced the lower control arms and some CV boots that had been damaged by another dealer who replaced the drivers side axle ( w/ CV joints). Consequently, I also got a free alignment! VERY pleased how this all was handled at Hendrick-Naples. Service Advisor couldn't have been any more helpful. Also gave me the TSB information and what was actually done.

I didn't see exactly what GM paid or labor hrs. ( was told they pay $92.hr vs retail at Hendrick Naples of $130.) They showed me dealer paid $500.+ for TC and GM reimbursed them $700.+. If the repair hr's allowed are 24, that would be approx... $2200. labor paid.

But.. if you paid for it at retail, it would be close to $4K.

They did inform me that my NPP delete switch using the add a circuit on #42 fuse (keeps the exhaust valves open...) has created a hard code in ECM. But that's another story....

Get notified of new replies

To Adding more power?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding more power?