C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking from driver's rear side

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:05 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts
Default Creaking from driver's rear side

So I am hearing a slight creaking noise from the driver's side rear whenever I take off in forward and reverse or do any moderate kicks to the throttle. I am thinking "oh **** my leaf spring is splintering". I look at it where the bolt connects and yeah there is a slight splintering on the top, both sides identical. Kind of pulled a bit on the splinters and well they didn't sound loud enough. I pushed down on the quarter with the car standing still, pushed the car back and forth with the parking brake on, tugged and pushed on the wheel with no sound. Maybe that's not it, pulled and pushed on all the nearby body panels and nothing.

Searched the forums with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Seeing the splintering where the bolt connects to the leaf spring is very scary, it's just the surface and on the top of the leaf spring and maybe 1/4" long around the bolt. Hope that's not the problem. I didn't inspect the rest of the spring since I didn't have a flashlight on me, will do sometime in the next few days.

Is my 15,000 mile car already creaking like an old man? I could hear it over the exhaust in track mode

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 05-11-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:25 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

I'm just a C5 guy dreaming/planning on my C7, so take this for what it's worth, but it sounds to me like something either in the diff mounting bushings (since it happens also in reverse, so I doubt if you're really moving the suspension much), or possibly the bushings in the suspension.

Or it could be the seat flexing under the g-loads. Or maybe the roof panel is flexing under the massive torque. Or that squirrel that's living next to the gas tank. Or...

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Tentoestobz
Did you ever resolve this creaking? If so, how?
it was the plastic at the hook that holds the front of the roof when it is stowed. Moved it a bit and it stopped!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Well, I will check the roof, but I don't see how it could be that when it sounds like its coming from under the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking from driver's rear side

Quick Reply: Creaking from driver's rear side