C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 12:50 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR
First off, thanks for posting the results of your research.

I tried looking up those shock numbers. I can't find them anywhere, except where the seller offers the replacement/superceded part number. I believe they're all selling original equipment, rather than the T1 parts specified with those numbers.

Ask for 22873513 -> Receive 23202880
Ask for 22873509 -> Translates to 23171683 but discontinued

Can I ask, where did you get those shocks? Did you verify the part numbers matched? Did they look different at all?

Thanks!

-michael
When you get the T1 package, it comes with the right shocks. I did check the part numbers, and they were indeed part numbers listed on web sites and the package's instructions. I can find the front (IIRC), but the rear gets superseded by a new part number, which then is marked discontinued. When I asked TrunkMonkeyParts, they told me it's then superseded by FE3 standard shocks, but frankly I don't believe it, since GM still sells the original part# with the kit, and the online catalogues don't show the connection to the FE3 shock.

From outside, they look identical. I'm guessing it's just the valving.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:01 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
When you get the T1 package, it comes with the right shocks.
Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if you sourced the parts or just bought the kit, makes sense now.

Thanks.

-michael
Old 08-03-2016, 10:04 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Today's track day was a serious stress test!

The forecast for weather was 92 degrees F max, but apparently the valley where the track is located reaches much higher temps. We checked with the digital thermometer that belongs to the track, and it was about 95 degrees F in the afternoon, and even more at the track. As you can imagine, this means I've had one of the hottest conditions we ever get to see in Pacific Northwest today.

Below is the video from the last session, where temps hit 98 degrees F by the end (indicated by the car and my truck):

My remarks on temps:[LIST][*]Coolant:
  • Max coolant temp I hit during the whole session was 219 degrees F. This is very much acceptable, though I should note that we probably lose HP for every degree away from 190 degrees F or so.
  • The coolant temps varied about 15 degrees during hot laps (i.e. the temps varied from 203-219 degrees F, depending on the part of the track).
  • During the cool-down laps, it quickly went below 200 degrees F.
[*]Engine oil:[LIST][*]This was the biggest surprise of the day: The engine oil temps never exceeded 265 degrees F! This is amazing, considering the very high ambient temps.[*]Looks like Z06 grille + aux rad cooler + diluted coolant works wonders. I was hoping this would be the outcome since this combination even solved overheating problems of most of the Z06s, but it is still surprising.
That's amazing considering in 95-100*F ambient temps my oil got up to 273*, coolant 223* and trans 306*

Do you have the P/N's readily accessible for the secondary radiator and any additional hardware?

Originally Posted by X25
[/LIST
][*]Tires:[LIST][*]Despite very hot temps, the NT01 tires did not lose their traction as much as I thought they would.[*]I settled at 28-29 PSI (or so) cold, hitting 38 PSI or so at the track. The tires ran very hot, but I suppose there's no way out at those ambient temps.
Were you running 38 PSI hot front and back? I found (to my surprise) I had my best time with my NT01's at 40 front, 38 rear (HOT). We have very similar alignments as well.

Odd that you don't like the GT seats, when I sold my Camaro which also had a harness bar I though for certain I'd need to get a harness in the Corvette, especially since mine has the GT seats. I'm finding that the seats hold me great once the bolster is adjusted. I'm also a large-ish guy, 6'2", 210. So I figured the seats wouldn't hold me as well as someone smaller in size.

Originally Posted by X25
QUESTION: I did switch to tour mode during my cool-down laps to check on actual temps, and switched back once the cool-down or my peeking at numbers was over. The competition mode is not available in tour mode. During this switch back-and-forth, did I lose competitive mode? In other words, do I need to re-enable competitive mode each time I switch back and forth on modes?
Competition mode is only available in in track mode, when you switch to any other mode I believe it turns it off. However if you start off in say sport or tour mode you cannot get into competition mode. I'm fairly certain you'll need to re-enable comp mode when you go back into track. Kind of annoying. Also what's annoying is you can customize your displays in different modes but if you want the sport DIC display in tour it applies the sport display in ALL modes which is annoying. So you either are forced to deal with Chevy's default display's in each mode or a single display in all modes. I wanted to make all my modes display the sport DIC display and then leave track the way it is from the factory, but nope not possible. So I fixed that by only driving in sport mode on the street, frankly I don't like the loose steering wheel feel in weather, eco or tour anyways.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BaylorCorvette
That's amazing considering in 95-100*F ambient temps my oil got up to 273*, coolant 223* and trans 306*

Do you have the P/N's readily accessible for the secondary radiator and any additional hardware?
You can refer to post #3 for all part numbers. It's 84037858. I also used Z06 scoops, grille, and transmission cooler.

Were you running 38 PSI hot front and back? I found (to my surprise) I had my best time with my NT01's at 40 front, 38 rear (HOT). We have very similar alignments as well.
40/38 probably have same cold temps, anyway; fronts get to higher temps. I think 26 or 27 PSI cold on all corners is where the sweet spot is (but will have to check on that).

Odd that you don't like the GT seats, when I sold my Camaro which also had a harness bar I though for certain I'd need to get a harness in the Corvette, especially since mine has the GT seats. I'm finding that the seats hold me great once the bolster is adjusted. I'm also a large-ish guy, 6'2", 210. So I figured the seats wouldn't hold me as well as someone smaller in size.
I actually hurt my left knee, since I kept pushing myself by the door to stabilize during hard braking; here is hoping seat conversion + harness bar keeps me in place. I'm 205 lbs, but relatively stubby at 5'10" : )

Competition mode is only available in in track mode, when you switch to any other mode I believe it turns it off. However if you start off in say sport or tour mode you cannot get into competition mode. I'm fairly certain you'll need to re-enable comp mode when you go back into track. Kind of annoying. Also what's annoying is you can customize your displays in different modes but if you want the sport DIC display in tour it applies the sport display in ALL modes which is annoying. So you either are forced to deal with Chevy's default display's in each mode or a single display in all modes. I wanted to make all my modes display the sport DIC display and then leave track the way it is from the factory, but nope not possible. So I fixed that by only driving in sport mode on the street, frankly I don't like the loose steering wheel feel in weather, eco or tour anyways.
I just don't like any of the modes. I'd love to have the track mode with numbers under those ticks for temps, and TPMS pressures also displayed instead of the stupid battery voltage. OK, WHO NEEDS TO SEE BATTERY VOLTAGE DURING HOT LAPS? Seriously, who? It's mind boggling.

I have an open track day at relatively milder temps next Tuesday at the Ridge. I am hoping to install the harness bar + seats by then. Once done, the only thing left will be the rear LCAs, and noone seems to know about them : ( The service manual's procedure for rear crossmember removal is very much horrifying; I'm hoping to get away with it much easier, but need to validate my theory with someone who's already done it.

Last edited by X25; 08-03-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:57 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Update:
As I've mentioned before, I only have seats, harness bar, and rear LCAs (punted to winter or off time) remaining to install. I finally started working on the seat conversion today:

Since I am also replacing the bottom with the suede-wrapped version, I pretty much had to strip the whole seat. It took me a while to do so, since I did not want to damage anything.

It took me 1-2 hours just to remove the string holding the bottom upholstery. I finally realized that the rail assembly and the magnesium chassis are touching each other (even though they're not meant to), making it impossible for the string to get loose. I used my forged toe link separator fork to push them a bit apart, and it did the trick! Of course, it took me a long time to figure this out.

Finished seat! Another issue was the new airbag packaging, since it works a bit differently. Anyway, I will be much faster when it comes to the driver side.

From back.

From the side of the car.

From the top.

I also attended the first autocross in my life. I got down to 60 seconds in my 3rd attempt. One of the instructor guys had a '14 C7 Z51 with RE71Rs, and he was consistently doing about 57 seconds. I think it was good for a first time effort, and considering I could drive it at the track for only 3 minutes during that whole autocross event! Speaking of which, I find it ridiculous to get to drive for only 3-4 minutes, while wasting half of my day. I am not sure if I would try it again : )

There is an upcoming track day on Aug 9th (TUE), where it will be open format, and only for advanced drivers at the Ridge. It will hopefully be much less crowded, and much more fun!
The following users liked this post:
daleong (08-04-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 07:39 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Car is finished!

Driver's side. It took me much less than the passenger side, now that I know how.

Installation of harness bar pretty much involves removing all the panels by the side of the trunk.

Finished!

Love the suede inserts and the more aggressive side bolsters.

I'm looking forward to seeing how mu the harness and new seats help. The next track day is on Tuesday Aug 9th.

Tires: I was going to try Trofeo R and RE71R next, but decided to keep using NT01s for the time being. Since I am still getting used to the car, using different tires would only add to the confusion when it comes to lap times anyway. I just placed an order for a new set as a backup.

Last edited by X25; 08-05-2016 at 07:41 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by X25:
08G8V8 (08-05-2016), daleong (08-05-2016), xiaominsong (10-23-2022)
Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 AM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice! I'm building somewhat along the same lines. I wasn't going to do the bottoms, but am starting to change my mind. I am doing suede inserts. Do you have the part numbers for the seat bottom covers?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:29 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AKKutz
Nice! I'm building somewhat along the same lines. I wasn't going to do the bottoms, but am starting to change my mind. I am doing suede inserts. Do you have the part numbers for the seat bottom covers?
Yep, you should do the bottom covers as well since bottom friction is the most important. I did not do the bottom foam, but that's also an option.

Part numbers:
Old 08-05-2016, 02:38 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks, interesting (using Trunk Monkey) 3448 is over $30 cheaper than 7067! Did you notice this?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:05 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AKKutz
Thanks, interesting (using Trunk Monkey) 3448 is over $30 cheaper than 7067! Did you notice this?
Yep, I paid different prices, too, for no good reason : ) They look symmetrically identical.

Last edited by X25; 08-09-2016 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

How hard will it be to remove the harness bar. Ie if I need to take it to the dealer. Lol
Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chets ls3
How hard will it be to remove the harness bar. Ie if I need to take it to the dealer. Lol
You need to remove the side panels again, and then unbolt 4 big allen bolts. The fit is very tight, so fitting it back might be a bit hard, too. I would honestly not bother; just remove your race harness, and they won't think much of it. After all, you could possibly be using it for cameras, too, or you're just a poser; how can they know? : )
Old 08-08-2016, 10:03 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Those seats look awesome, I really want to do that at some point.

Originally Posted by X25
I also attended the first autocross in my life. I got down to 60 seconds in my 3rd attempt. One of the instructor guys had a '14 C7 Z51 with RE71Rs, and he was consistently doing about 57 seconds. I think it was good for a first time effort, and considering I could drive it at the track for only 3 minutes during that whole autocross event! Speaking of which, I find it ridiculous to get to drive for only 3-4 minutes, while wasting half of my day. I am not sure if I would try it again : )
Nice! I've decided to sit out track events until it gets cooler, in the mean time I've been doing autocross events. Both last month and yesterday I've come in second to MSR (poster in this thread) he's a great driver. Like you I'm on the stock MPSS, I was able to ride with MSR on his last run yesterday and he's on the RE71R's. I've decided I'm going to those tires when my MPSS need to be replaced. I was surprised at the levels of grip in a couple areas of the track.

Originally Posted by X25
You need to remove the side panels again, and then unbolt 4 big allen bolts. The fit is very tight, so fitting it back might be a bit hard, too. I would honestly not bother; just remove your race harness, and they won't think much of it. After all, you could possibly be using it for cameras, too, or you're just a poser; how can they know? : )
Meanwhile I have my numbers on my rear qtr windows, my license plate says "TRACK IT", I've got track out line decals on my rear window and my service manager knows I track the car He know's it is stock so I don't think he'd make a big stink about a warranty claim. At least not an AFM claim, been down that road once already. Actually I was at the dealership having my truck serviced last week and he was giving me a hard time because I told him I haven't been to the track lately because it is too hot!

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 08-08-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Also, I know you list the secondary radiator as P/N: 84037858. Do you need any other supplemental parts to install it or just buy that part number and you're good to go?

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 08-08-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:42 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Also, I know you list the secondary radiator as P/N: 84037858. Do you need any other supplemental parts to install it or just buy that part number and you're good to go?
That is the part number of the kit, and comes with everything you need. The only other thing you need would be new coolant : )

Unless I can find an org where I can do more than 4 minutes of action, I think I'll pass on the autocross; it's just too short for the time invested. We'll see.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 PM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
That is the part number of the kit, and comes with everything you need. The only other thing you need would be new coolant : )

Unless I can find an org where I can do more than 4 minutes of action, I think I'll pass on the autocross; it's just too short for the time invested. We'll see.
Cool thanks.

And yes I agree about the ROI on Autocross. We usually have over 100 people for our events in Houston which means work time is 1.5-2 hours and we get four runs at around 60 seconds. So four minutes of track time for ~2 hours of work (especially in the summer) SUCKS. However being that you're competing against other people is fun and really the only reason I'm still doing it. The way I figure is it keeps me sharp for the track in the off season and isn't too hard on wear items.

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 08-08-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:30 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

I will be at The Ridge Motorsports Park tomorrow, and this time it won't be nearly as hot; the temps should stay at or below 70 degrees or so.

Finally replaced the clutch fluid in the reservoir for the first time. As expected, it was very dirty. I will keep replacing it often, until it becomes cleaner. I wish it was easy to install a remote bleeder to this car.

My bar mount was too small for the thick roll bar, so I came up with this monstrosity.

Thankfully, my aluminum GoPro mount extensions and roll bar mount arrived just in time today, so I replaced the ugly hack with a decent solution.

Here is a short test video. The vantage point seems to be much better, and it also records my phone screen from where I put it (it conveniently fits snug to the hidden compartment), so I will get to sync data to the milliseconds with ease:

Last edited by X25; 08-09-2016 at 04:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To '16 Z51 Arctic White track build

Old 08-09-2016, 10:02 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Are you happy with the Amsoil Signature Series transmission fluid? I'm thinking I better change mine soon since last track event it reached 306*

Last edited by BaylorCorvette; 08-09-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:19 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Are you happy with the Amsoil Signature Series transmission fluid? I'm thinking I better change mine soon since last track event it reached 306*
I didn't feel much of a difference in shifting, but my reason to change was better high temp protection and stability anyway, and this fluid is designed for it.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:56 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
I will be at The Ridge Motorsports Park tomorrow, and this time it won't be nearly as hot; the temps should stay at or below 70 degrees or so.

Finally replaced the clutch fluid in the reservoir for the first time. As expected, it was very dirty. I will keep replacing it often, until it becomes cleaner. I wish it was easy to install a remote bleeder to this car.

My bar mount was too small for the thick roll bar, so I came up with this monstrosity.

Thankfully, my aluminum GoPro mount extensions and roll bar mount arrived just in time today, so I replaced the ugly hack with a decent solution.

Here is a short test video. The vantage point seems to be much better, and it also records my phone screen from where I put it (it conveniently fits snug to the hidden compartment), so I will get to sync data to the milliseconds with ease:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRR-mU4aVuE
Two questions for you.

1) Is that the only way to change the clutch fluid? If so where did you get that tool you are using and how long does that tubing have to be to reach?

2) Where did you get that harness bar and how did it attach to your side walls?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: '16 Z51 Arctic White track build