C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance question - C7 manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Timscherer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performance question - C7 manual transmission

I recently purchased a 2014 c7 stingray convertable with the z51 package (manual transmission). The car is all original, no mods. I am not sure that I have a problem or not, however I seem to be experiencing the top end power of each gear flattening out (especially 2nd and 3rd gear). It has plenty of low end torque. Is this normal? I expected more power from the top end.

I am in the market for upgrading the cold air intake and exhaust system, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and information.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:08 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

Define top end.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 PM
Timscherer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by laserdude2215
Define top end.
Thanks for your reply. To answer your question is when I reach a certain rpms in each gear the power flattens out. I should have noted the rpms, I will have to record that the next time I have it out. Once I reach the point where the power flattens, I literally have plenty of pedal left. As I place the pedal to the floor I get no throttle response.

Thanks again.

Old 09-30-2020, 10:17 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

Go out and do a no-lift-shift 1-2 @ 6000 followed by a no-lift-shift 2-3 @ 6000. Then report the results. Video would be good; PDR even better.

Edit: Your description is way too subjective. It could be normal; it could be clogged CATs and everything in between.

Last edited by laserdude2215; 09-30-2020 at 10:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (10-02-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 06:28 AM
Timscherer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by laserdude2215
Go out and do a no-lift-shift 1-2 @ 6000 followed by a no-lift-shift 2-3 @ 6000. Then report the results. Video would be good; PDR even better.

Edit: Your description is way too subjective. It could be normal; it could be clogged CATs and everything in between.
Thank you, I will attempt that method soon and get back to you.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:28 AM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Car should pull strong up to redline, however this engine is not a screamer - it makes tons of low to mid range torque and thus is happiest in that range. There isn't much in the last 1K of revs...

And a cold air intake does pretty much nothing to the non-supercharged LT1 engine. While an x-pipe will not add any power either really it sure sounds better so I recommend one as a starting point.
The following 3 users liked this post by JMII:
Avanti (10-02-2020), jrzybil (10-02-2020), Maxpowers (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Timscherer
Once I reach the point where the power flattens, I literally have plenty of pedal left. As I place the pedal to the floor I get no throttle response.
What does this mean?

Are you unhappy with the throttle mapping or is the engine actually losing power?
Old 10-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Like JMII said, the massive low end torque can make it feel like there isnt much high end power. A vid would help.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:50 AM
Timscherer
Intermediate

I appreciate all the advice, I will do a test run to provide more details. Thanks again, have a great day.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Timscherer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Elk
What does this mean?

Are you unhappy with the throttle mapping or is the engine actually losing power?
Elk, the engine is not loosing power. Once I reach a certain rpms beyond the low end torque (n/a until I do another test run) the power tends to flatten out until I shift into the next gear. I am not all familiar with the power dynamics from a Corvette, first timer. I just expected more top end power and top end throttle response through 1-3 gears. Maybe I am not allowing the rpms to reach the power curve before I shift, that maybe the problem. I will test soon, thanks.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:01 PM
Timscherer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JMII
Car should pull strong up to redline, however this engine is not a screamer - it makes tons of low to mid range torque and thus is happiest in that range. There isn't much in the last 1K of revs...

And a cold air intake does pretty much nothing to the non-supercharged LT1 engine. While an x-pipe will not add any power either really it sure sounds better so I recommend one as a starting point.
Thank you. I was hopeful to gain more horsepower by adding a better air intake system (ex. AFE) and a better flowing exhaust system (Borla or a Corsa - prefer the Borla for the deeper throaty sound). However, either would be great. Thanks for your reply. Great chart by the way.

Last edited by Timscherer; 10-01-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:07 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Tim - if youre looking for more power, its difficult to squeeze a meaningful amount out with the LT1 without a blower.

Check out the mod threads and contact some of the forum vendors if thats your aspiration.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Timscherer
I am not all familiar with the power dynamics from a Corvette, first timer.
This may be it as much as anything.

The engine is tuned to provide linear response. There is no sudden deliver of extra power at higher RPM. Rather, the engine just smoothly pulls as the RPM increases.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Timscherer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
Tim - if youre looking for more power, its difficult to squeeze a meaningful amount out with the LT1 without a blower.

Check out the mod threads and contact some of the forum vendors if thats your aspiration.
​​​​​​​Thank you.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Timscherer
Intermediate

Thanks for all your advice, I took the Vette out today and attempted a no lift method shifting at a higher rpms than what I normally shift at. I definitely noticed a stronger pull shifting from one gear to the next shifting in the "power band" between 5k to 6k rpms.

When just cruising around I was expecting a stronger pull at lower rpms. I need to take in consideration that it the manual transmission utilizes its power differently than an automatic transmission. I am extremely impressed with the low end torque, the C7 is an impressive vehicle.

Thanks again to ya'll, I appreciate it.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:35 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Regarding your "still have pedal left" comment, that relationship is only somewhat correct when the car is turbocharged (so more fuel creating exhaust might increase boost if the boost is not limited already), or on diesel engines. Most of the time, you already reach most of your max power at that RPM level long before you're at 100% throttle.

As noted before, these cars' power generation taper on the last 500-1000 RPMs, but for max performance, you'd still need to hit close to redline before shifting, since that would get you to a better spot (i.e. higher RPMs) once you shift to the next gear.

Last edited by X25; 10-04-2020 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Timscherer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by X25
Regarding your "still have pedal left" comment, that relationship is only somewhat correct when the car is turbocharged (so more fuel creating exhaust might increase boost if the boost is not limited already), or on diesel engines. Most of the time, you already reach most of your max power at that RPM level long before you're at 100% throttle.

As noted before, these cars' power generation taper on the last 500-1000 RPMs, but for max performance, you'd still need to hit close to redline before shifting, since that would get you to a better spot (i.e. higher RPMs) once you shift to the next gear.
That makes complete sense, that is what I experienced.
Thanks for your reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance question - C7 manual transmission

Quick Reply: Performance question - C7 manual transmission