C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Manual to auto conversion, programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 02:29 PM
Dj92GTA
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Default C7 Manual to auto conversion, programming

Just thought I'd share my progress if anyone is interested in GM programming,etc.

I purchased this as a project that was partially started 2014 Vette that was previously manual and had swapped parts from an auto. I also had no keys to make it even funner..

If you plan to do this make sure to get most of modules, I wasn't so lucky and had a cross population of different modules. GM released a bulletin not to swap modules between cars for class A but I couldn't see if the Vette was part of this category.

I purchased a drew tech GM mongoose II and a GM SPS subscription. Loaded it on my laptop ona windows 7 virtual machine and all worked well. This program is old school by today's standards and will freeze on occasion. The GM modules seem robust enough that if they don't program and apply the codes they don't seem to die.

There is different software revisions and can be multiple codes within a module all the bcm had like 9 packages. I had zero options like previous tech II where you can choose rpo' s and such.

The gds2 scanner works awesome, you can scan the entire car with one click. You also have the option to navigate the menus without having the car connected. I still think the tech II has more capabilities and they don't let you change as many variables but it's easier to view data by far.

You will need a vin to move to that has the options that you want. Luckily the auto they picked was a 3lt with npp and no mag ride. It however was a convertible and I didn't see any codes yet related to missing that module but I expect something. Normally the u codes from the low speed Gmlan modules like that don't throw a dash light just internal codes. The vin is held in the Ecm, Tcm, cluster, bcm, hmi module, chassis control, brake module, hvac, sdm air bag module, power steering, radio and they need to match.

Programming is epically slow so you need a lot of patience with this. GM guides basically want you to replace modules if things don't work but just keep trying to program. Your modules need to be a revision behind so they will get reprogrammed with new codes, if they are recent there's prompts saying not to do it. There is a reprogram or a replace and reprogram initial option, I used replace and reprogram for all my modules.

I started with the bcm, programmed fine, changed vin. This basically broke all the communications in the car. It won't let you change mileage for second part of the programming unless it's a new module, it is what it is.

I reprogrammed the radio, it was now locked due to a vin mismatch. Came back on after that.

The cluster has three options from programming with usb, programming and xml setup. I did a usb upgrade first, programs a sub key, plug it in the car and it updates, slowly... Programming wouldn't take but did the xml setup and luckily it changed the vin and poof it worked. The odometer changes to dashes if there is a mismatch, don't drive the car if that occurs or you will lock the cluster. It stores mileage but gets that value from the bcm.

Reprogrammed chassis module, hmi, radio/hvac (seperate front panel), keyless entry.

I had no keys from the bcm so at this point I tried to do a bcm relearn, didn't work cause of the sdm module was being a loser. I won't get a new module for awhile so just forged ahead. I used the immobilizer menu and added one key, at this point I could crank and would run for one second and then due to bcm to ECm learned values they wouldn't pass the challenge test. I then did a relearn of just the bcm using existing keys. It makes you go thru a bunch of Power button presses and Bam car starts and runs now. I didn't have to program ECm, power steering, Tcm as they were from donor.

It's still a mess cause I don't have a proper auto shift cable setup, waiting for parts. Also the cars basically stripped to nothing and probably would have been better if I waited till more was together but I wanted to experiment and know which other modules I needed to buy.

Issues I still have,

Hvac module wouldn't program 100%, there's 6 different module part numbers so I might have the wrong part. I also suspect that since my hvac module had the most current code it wouldn't program fully. Since it won't complete it won't change the vin.

Sdm airbag is the ******* of all the modules. You can get the data via gds2 but you cannot program. The unit is said to vin lock. There's no indication as to why you cannot program like it could give some detail, it sucks you have to spend 300 to gamble on a new unit you might be able to program it.

A trick is You can skip the bcm authentication by going into immobilizer programming as it puts car in run mode, this way all the vin mismatched modules will confirm they are working as I could then control the hvac and radio even with a missmatch.

One day I'd like to get the tools to dive deeper into the module configuration to allow easier modification.

The following users liked this post:
^&right (06-13-2022)
Old 06-30-2016, 04:12 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,161 Likes on 533 Posts

wow looks like quite a project you have there. what happened to the car?
Old 06-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Dj92GTA
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

it got smoked in the front and rolled the windsheild pillar. It shouldn't have been saved but they put a bunch of cash into the metal. Front wasn't too bad with the c7 it has joints that break at the front and the windsheild frame isnt too bad once you get the dash out which has to come out with the bags blowing anyways. Up here this frame work would have cost more then a car new. I wanted a widebody car but didnt want to pay 100K+ for a z06 and enjoy learning about this and painting.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:57 PM
BeltranenaRE
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing project!,

I know some years passed since you start the post but will love to read the full story now. I have a 2015 manual Z06 C7 that I will love to swap into an automatic, a friend offered me his wrecked z06 c7 auto with intact interior, center and back of the car are fine too, only thing that make me nervous about it is that this car is a 2019, so I'm pretty sure I will need to change or use all the modules from the ecm, tcm to the bcm, airbag, hvac, cluster, etc...., but will not want to mess with a problem that I will not be able to fix or get done because of the different years, so I've just started to search info, this is the first tread I read about a transmision swap in a C7.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:00 PM
^&right
Pro

Received 370 Likes on 178 Posts

I'd love to read an update on this years old project
Old 06-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,208 Likes on 3,454 Posts

Often with such projects updates don't appear for good reason. Just sayin'...

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Manual to auto conversion, programming

Quick Reply: C7 Manual to auto conversion, programming