C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Coupe Wind Noise & door close problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:01 PM
Tim H.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default C7 Coupe Wind Noise & door close problems

I've been battling wind noise on the driver's door at 50mph+ & the door not closing easily since day 1 (Dec. 2015). Passenger door closes fine & no wind noise. The dealership has had the car several times & has tried:

1. Aligning the door latch/striker
2. Re-indexing the window
3. Replacing the rubber seal/gasket which goes from driver's side to passenger side behind the seats. (this has fixed other C7 wind noise issues)
4. Adjusting the window how it sits in the window tracker.

Nothing has worked. Today I received a call there is a service bulletin that came out yesterday concerning this issue. When the parts come in I will take it in for the service. pdf attached.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images
Old 08-08-2016, 08:54 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H.
I've been battling wind noise on the driver's door at 50mph+ & the door not closing easily since day 1 (Dec. 2015). Passenger door closes fine & no wind noise. The dealership has had the car several times & has tried:

3. Replacing the rubber seal/gasket which goes from driver's side to passenger side behind the seats. (this has fixed other C7 wind noise issues)

Nothing has worked. Today I received a call there is a service bulletin that came out yesterday concerning this issue. When the parts come in I will take it in for the service. pdf attached.

Stay tuned!
Rare for a C7 I would think. I have my 2016 Tacoma with the worst cab noise ever. Toyota measured 89 db's average in my truck (they printed it out on my service ticket. So I had the noise measured 89db's all right along with 105-109.9 db peaks every minute over 24 minutes at 65 mph.
All on print. Waiting on the flatbed they are losing this one. Refund due me on the whole truck purchase. Door gaskets all leak wind noise and the huge cab vents are wide open you can see the street under the truck till they took out the rear seats and added 1/2 foam over the vents peak noise
I have been measuring with 113 dbs which dropped to 110 DB's my IPhone app which is very close to accurate since the pro's got 109.9 peaks. Total joke.

My new GMC is so quiet in the cab you could hear a mouse fart.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 08-08-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Tim H.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stay tuned!
The new gasket/seals are installed & everything is better but not perfect. The door closes much better now & the wind noise is reduced a lot but still present. GM tech support told the mechanic to start taping everything up (windows/doors etc.) & remove one piece at a time until he finds the source. I declined for now. I will give GM some time to figure this out without using my car as a guinea pig. Apparently there are 15 Corvettes out there with this issue. The wind is coming through the seat belt harness access hole for sure. Stay tuned!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 PM
8no4nsht
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2016 z51

Mines doing the same on the drivers side.

Thanks for the info !!

Joe

The new gasket/seals are installed & everything is better but not perfect. The door closes much better now & the wind noise is reduced a lot but still present. GM tech support told the mechanic to start taping everything up (windows/doors etc.) & remove one piece at a time until he finds the source. I declined for now. I will give GM some time to figure this out without using my car as a guinea pig. Apparently there are 15 Corvettes out there with this issue. The wind is coming through the seat belt harness access hole for sure. Stay tuned!
Old 08-26-2016, 01:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I would have said go ahead. There is no reason to believe the wind noise in your car has the same cause as the noise in the other cars.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Coupe Wind Noise & door close problems

Quick Reply: C7 Coupe Wind Noise & door close problems