C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 clicking noise in rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:27 PM
mm2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not yet it seems like. I've spent almost 2 years dealing with GM support which was a waste of time. I've been to service over 30x. The noise comes back after 1-2 weeks EVERY TIME.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:29 PM
mm2
Intermediate

Only a temp solution. Any permanent solutions?

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
pull wheel, clean behind wheel and face of rotor where they mate. fixed mine.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:11 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

So far my 'clink' sound when changing from forward to reverse is dependent on the axle nut. Tighten it up. No more sound. Couple weeks, comes back and the nut is below torque spec. Today I swapped it for a new one and used some blue locktite.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:26 PM
mm2
Intermediate

Thanks! I found some Blue Locktite on amazon:
Amazon Amazon

I'll give it a try.

Originally Posted by spearfish25
So far my 'clink' sound when changing from forward to reverse is dependent on the axle nut. Tighten it up. No more sound. Couple weeks, comes back and the nut is below torque spec. Today I swapped it for a new one and used some blue locktite.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

How about cleaning the mating surfaces and spraying on a little WD 40 or get some of that stuff you put on the backs of brake pads to stop the vibration.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:48 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Sounds like my 350Z that I had to grease the axle mating face every 10k miles.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

thought i would try again with an update. my car is a 2015 and has done this since new. dealer tried many times. nothing worked. i asked them to have GM rep take a look at it but this never happened. i have given up, at least with this dealer. i think it has been reported so many times that they don't even try anymore to fix it. their standard response is "operating normally". i have the CCB brakes and the sound, which i refer to as a click, happens only in the rear and is a one time click on take off after stopping. it is very repeatable and dealer had no difficulty hearing it.

can anyone think of anything is the rear that might click only once on startup? it happens within the first tire revolution. acts like some slack being taken up and then reset after stopping. i am willing to dig into fixing it myself, just hoping that someone has some ideas of where to start. cleaning wheel faces, re torquing wheels, washing, greasing have no affect.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by CONMAX
thought i would try again with an update. my car is a 2015 and has done this since new. dealer tried many times. nothing worked. i asked them to have GM rep take a look at it but this never happened. i have given up, at least with this dealer. i think it has been reported so many times that they don't even try anymore to fix it. their standard response is "operating normally". i have the CCB brakes and the sound, which i refer to as a click, happens only in the rear and is a one time click on take off after stopping. it is very repeatable and dealer had no difficulty hearing it.

can anyone think of anything is the rear that might click only once on startup? it happens within the first tire revolution. acts like some slack being taken up and then reset after stopping. i am willing to dig into fixing it myself, just hoping that someone has some ideas of where to start. cleaning wheel faces, re torquing wheels, washing, greasing have no affect.
Tighten the axle nuts. 36mm socket and 182 lb-ft. I found the driver's side likes to loosen due to the direction of rotation relative the threads.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:44 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Tighten the axle nuts. 36mm socket and 182 lb-ft. I found the driver's side likes to loosen due to the direction of rotation relative the threads.
i have overtorqued the rears many times, in fact each time after i install the DR's which is about 5 times a year. no change there, but thanks for the response.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:45 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

i have overtorqued the rears many times, in fact each time after i install the DR's which is about 5 times a year. no change there, but thanks for the response. i got a 36 mm socket just for this.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 AM
mm2
Intermediate

Finally got rid of my defective 2015 Stingray. Purchased a new 2017 Stingray z51! Runs much nicer! Great performance!

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 clicking noise in rear end