C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEI catalytic converter heatshield installation notes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,684 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Default DEI catalytic converter heatshield installation notes

So we're all on the same page, this is the part I'm discussing: https://www.designengineering.com/ca...tic-converter-

I won't bother posting a picture since it looks identical to their photo (below) minus my black Mobil 1 oil filter.

Mainly, I just wanted a little weekend garage time so I decided to give this part a try. It shouldn't hurt while pushing the car hard during the brutal TX summer heat either. The install was straight forward enough. It's a snug fit up in that area so have a little patience while snaking the cover up, over, and around the primary cat (be careful not to snag the o2 sensor wire). I found it helpful to bend the ties to prevent them from slipping out from the loops. The heatshield itself was quality, but the little metal ties they include were flimsy pieces of junk. I now understand why they include 4 when only 2 are needed! I think two large hose clamps would be a much better solution. The included tool did more harm than good so I'd suggest using your hands and then a pair of pliers instead.

I took the car for a good drive down to Dallas for lunch at Rusty Taco afterward and no foul smells or noises occurred which is good. Tough to say what effect this will have on oil temps though until I really get a chance to push the car hard in the summer heat.

They also offer a sheath (link below) for the dry-sump oil lines, but I may just get another one of these shields for the passenger side primary cat instead since I am concerned that sheath may retain more heat than it rejects.

https://www.designengineering.com/ca...ne-heat-shroud

Last edited by Kracka; 08-22-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Just to throw in my 2 cents. I installed two of these cat covers and the oil pipe cover. Seemed like a good idea, in theory. I did not notice any ill effects either. But I did not notice any lower oil temps either, at least with the street use.

My biggest improvement was after I installed a DeWitts Gen 2 radiator. Next I would like to install a 180 stat, but they seem unobtainable currently. At least reliable ones.

Last edited by Flame Red; 08-22-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

I finally got around to installing another one of these things on the passenger side primary cat. I figured if I did one, might as well do the other. Actual real-world benefits? Unknown/TBD, but, I figured why not The passenger side was much easier to install due to the space you're working in vs. the driver's side. It may help a bit with oil temps considering now close the dry sump oil lines are located to the passenger side primary cat (oil cooler block and oil filter are located near the driver's side primary cat). The D.E.I. ties are pretty pathetic, but are easier to tighten down with a needle nose pliers instead of their included locking tool.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-16-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:49 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Since it's been a while since you installed these, can you give an update as to whether or not it was worth it? Did you see any benefits ?

thanks
gonzo
Old 01-17-2019, 08:08 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

They're holding up perfectly and I haven't had any issues with them at all. They've been rain soaked, heat tortured in Texas, etc. and are showing no signs of degradation. I would say they are worthwhile since you have so many temp sensitive components jammed into a relatively tight space near the catalytic converters. Overall, with these and other cooling tweaks I've made, even still on the stock thermostat and radiator, the car is running 20-30F cooler (engine and oil) than it did from the factory. From the factory I'd run 220-230F, now I'm consistently in the 190's.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM
olblue75
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Other Mods

Originally Posted by Kracka
They're holding up perfectly and I haven't had any issues with them at all. They've been rain soaked, heat tortured in Texas, etc. and are showing no signs of degradation. I would say they are worthwhile since you have so many temp sensitive components jammed into a relatively tight space near the catalytic converters. Overall, with these and other cooling tweaks I've made, even still on the stock thermostat and radiator, the car is running 20-30F cooler (engine and oil) than it did from the factory. From the factory I'd run 220-230F, now I'm consistently in the 190's.

What other things have you done???
Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by olblue75
What other things have you done???
-1 bottle of Redline WaterWetter
-Z06 grille
-DEI cat heatshields
-DEI velcro heat sleeves around the radiator hoses
-Ceramic coated (and ported) exhaust manifolds

Last edited by Kracka; 01-17-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:55 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Of course, there are legitimate reasons the factory sets up the car to run at the temps it normally does, at least for street driving.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Of course, there are legitimate reasons the factory sets up the car to run at the temps it normally does, at least for street driving.
And it warms up the oil and water temps faster!

Get notified of new replies

To DEI catalytic converter heatshield installation notes

Quick Reply: DEI catalytic converter heatshield installation notes