C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 - Soft shifts normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:16 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
There is really not a lot to tune on the A8s. They are better from the factory than any aftermarket 6 speed tune. Once you have too much power then you may have mechanical limitations to sort through but that's an all out drag race situation.

"Torque Management" as an item to overcome or remove is a thing of the past. The ECMs are torque based, not airflow based, which means that your idle while in the McDonalds drive through is torque management.

Again, a shift that "gets rubber" only makes your car slower.
Thanks... Thats interesting info.. I have not researched anything tune related on this platform yet.

There is no doubt a huge reduction of power for the 1-2 shift...and likely the 2-3 shift as well....

No doubt with how low the gearing is in the lower gears in the A8 combined with the power the LT1/LT4s are making, GM neutered the power for low gear shifts to help keep trannies alive.

I'm sure it won't be long before "tuners" get the shift programming figured out.

Watching A8 cars make passes at the strip, the first two shifts are terrible.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:45 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Thanks... Thats interesting info.. I have not researched anything tune related on this platform yet.

There is no doubt a huge reduction of power for the 1-2 shift...and likely the 2-3 shift as well....

No doubt with how low the gearing is in the lower gears in the A8 combined with the power the LT1/LT4s are making, GM neutered the power for low gear shifts to help keep trannies alive.

I'm sure it won't be long before "tuners" get the shift programming figured out.

It is possible to get them to shift properly. If they don't the tuners are still on the wrong side of the learning curve.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:28 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default give me a ring if you have questions.....

Originally Posted by chefcg1
I have been running "chuck COW" trans tune and it shift hard and quick now. Really woke up the transmission. Only down side is getting chuck to send update tunes in a timely manner!
if you're wanting to talk about it or you're sending a log, please follow up with a phone call so I can locate your files quicker.

914-332-0049 is the best # to use to get me....

Call any time
Chuck CoW
Old 06-15-2017, 01:25 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Which track mode are you in? Just moving the selector to Track doesn't select the sub modes. Try it in Sport1, Sport 2 and Race.

Bill
Where the heck are the sub modes?
Old 06-15-2017, 03:57 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default BTW: We are now tuning 2017 Corvette A8 cars with EFI LIVE.

Originally Posted by IA_Stingray
This is the first automatic trans I've had since my 06 Mustang GT. With my Mustang, I could get a second and sometimes even a third great scratch. No chance with my 2017 Grand Sport. Whether I paddle shift or leave it in drive, WOT shifts are so slow and soft. Is this normal? If so, what have you done to deal with it?

BTW: We are now REMOTE tuning 2017 Corvette A8 cars with EFI LIVE and our AutoCal device.

Let me know if you need and long distance tuning.

Chuck CoW
Old 06-15-2017, 09:15 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
BTW: We are now REMOTE tuning 2017 Corvette A8 cars with EFI LIVE and our AutoCal device.

Let me know if you need and long distance tuning.

Chuck CoW
Does your tune change the "softness" of the shift to more of a "kick" when using the paddles or is it just for when in automatic mode?
Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

In a Z06 you will see a lot of wheel spin but that spin doesn't make it faster. Hennessey put up a video of a 185 MPH run in a Z06 (with Z07 package) and it shows how much wheel spin there is at the shift point (watch the speedometer overshoot and then return to reality during the 1-2 shift) and how NOT to treat a car with only 25 miles on it.

The tach behavior shows you how quickly the A8 shifts, shift completion at WOT in track is very fast.

Last edited by NSC5; 06-15-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:47 AM
STINGmole
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by IA_Stingray
This is the first automatic trans I've had since my 06 Mustang GT. With my Mustang, I could get a second and sometimes even a third great scratch. No chance with my 2017 Grand Sport. Whether I paddle shift or leave it in drive, WOT shifts are so slow and soft. Is this normal? If so, what have you done to deal with it?
I've got a 2010 GT, and when I had it tuned, it shifted hard and chirped 1-2. I don't run a tune any more. It didn't make the car any faster.

Honestly, I don't know what you're saying with the A8. With WOT in sport or track it shifts hard and really fast. Manual shifts below redline are soft.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:55 AM
STINGmole
Racer

Received 319 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm

Terrible compared to what? They're faster than a manual.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default I have always been.......

Originally Posted by JGarland
Does your tune change the "softness" of the shift to more of a "kick" when using the paddles or is it just for when in automatic mode?

I have always been a guy that likes quicker, firmer shifts.... But, that said.... It's relative.

I give people what I like.... If you need more or less, you can just ask and I"ll adjust either way you like.

Chuck CoW
Old 06-16-2017, 01:16 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

The A8 shifts soft and smooth when cruising lightly, and hard and fast at WOT. If you want hard and fast shifts during light cruising, buy a manual and drive it wrong.

Or pick up an old revere manual valvebody TH400 with a locked pressure regulator and bark the tires on every shift... but that will get old. I'd wager that kind of behavior -could- be programmed by someone like Chuck, and that there'd even be a small market for it. But those cars still wouldn't be any quicker!

Last edited by davepl; 06-16-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: A8 - Soft shifts normal?