C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune clarification custom and Diablo

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Tune clarification custom and Diablo

Ok so first I want to say out of all the useless ugly aftermarket chrome trim they make for Corvettes why does no one make a simple plug and play o2 simulator like I have used in all my other cars that I take the cats out of. Here is an example.

https://www.lceperformance.com/Rear-...-p/1020303.htm

So anyway on to my question. Obliviously I am concerned with tuning the car cause I know it will void the warranty on a powertrain claim. I did the catless x pipe and and axle back and it still needs some more volume so I want to add headers. I have a intune Diablo tuner which I am unsure if i load the stock tune on will be detected or not. I know for sure a custom dyno tune will be known. So what am asking is. If I use a Diablo tuner to load the performance tune on to my car but then load the factory tune back will the dealer be able to tell? Thanks in advance - Mike

Last edited by Bmwmike; 07-08-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 349 Posts

Hopefully Dave will chime in, but I’m sure if you load your factory tune back on before warranty work it cannot be detected. This has been verified from a few members that actually had there ECM pulled and diagnosed by GM,because of a powertrain claim. Gary
Old 07-08-2018, 11:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,633 Posts

If you ask Diablo Lew or Mike they will tell you no ...it is not detectable
Diablo does not write a new tune ...it just modifies the one you have thereby avoiding the tune file audit in the ECM

But that is not the problem , do u think that after you put on headers and a catless X pipe that GM is going to honor your warranty . They are not stupid ...and will know that you had to tune it . And if you say that you did not tune it they will then state that if it was not tuned, then you caused the engine to run lean .

I know that your next statement is going to be the Magison Moss warranty act says GM has to prove that your mods caused the damage but once they deny the claim it will cost you more in attorneys fees than to just pay for the repair
Bottom line is , if you do mods like headers and a catless x pipe to the car you are jeopardizing the 5 year warranty and have to be willing to pony up a pile of money if something goes wrong ..........

Dave
Old 07-08-2018, 11:45 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
If you ask Diablo Lew or Mike they will tell you no ...it is not detectable
Diablo does not write a new tune ...it just modifies the one you have thereby avoiding the tune file audit in the ECM

But that is not the problem , do u think that after you put on headers and a catless X pipe that GM is going to honor your warranty . They are not stupid ...and will know that you had to tune it . And if you say that you did not tune it they will then state that if it was not tuned, then you caused the engine to run lean .

I know that your next statement is going to be the Magison Moss warranty act says GM has to prove that your mods caused the damage but once they deny the claim it will cost you more in attorneys fees than to just pay for the repair
Bottom line is , if you do mods like headers and a catless x pipe to the car you are jeopardizing the 5 year warranty and have to be willing to pony up a pile of money if something goes wrong ..........

Dave
I have no clue what moss warranty is and im a service manger of a car dealership for almost 8 years. I want to hollow out the cats for sound. I feel that the car wont run lean with them hollowed out. Also iI not concerned with what the manager technician or service adviser sees. The owner of my dealer owns a chevy dealer and i know the people there. My only concern is when the tech is asked to send them the tune.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:48 AM
Z06Brucey
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

We don’t send in tunes. We send in calibration numbers and yes it’s detectable very easy! Just get a second ECM and tune that one.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
I have no clue what moss warranty is and im a service manger of a car dealership for almost 8 years. I want to hollow out the cats for sound. I feel that the car wont run lean with them hollowed out. Also iI not concerned with what the manager technician or service adviser sees. The owner of my dealer owns a chevy dealer and i know the people there. My only concern is when the tech is asked to send them the tune.
Then I can assure u that u will be fine ...
Old 07-09-2018, 08:49 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Brucey
We don’t send in tunes. We send in calibration numbers and yes it’s detectable very easy! Just get a second ECM and tune that one.
Well, if you want to get pedantic about it, you send in Calibration Verification Numbers, or CVNs. And you don't do that, you send a screenshot of the last 10 CVNs. At least that's what you do for Duramax, and what you were supposed to do for gas engines as of about a year ago at least.

I also reject that it's "very easy" to detect because the Diablo (I am told, do not know firsthand) either overwrites that CVN history or doesn't show up in it, one of the two. According to their marketing it must flash through some out of band mechanism and not the standard flash that would show up in the history.

If you get a second ECM, how do you get a GM dealer to set it up with your VIN without surrendering your original?

Last edited by davepl; 07-09-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Brucey
Yes you are right , that is why I said the "tune file audit" , call it what u may , CVN , Audit etc but a Diablo spoofs the file and changes can not be detected . All the other tuning software leaves data in this file including any GM updates .....
Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 07-09-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Well, if you want to get pedantic about it, you send in Calibration Verification Numbers, or CVNs. And you don't do that, you send a screenshot of the last 10 CVNs. At least that's what you do for Duramax, and what you were supposed to do for gas engines as of about a year ago at least.

I also reject that it's "very easy" to detect because the Diablo (I am told, do not know firsthand) either overwrites that CVN history or doesn't show up in it, one of the two. According to their marketing it must flash through some out of band mechanism and not the standard flash that would show up in the history.

If you get a second ECM, how do you get a GM dealer to set it up with your VIN without surrendering your original?
Dave you are 100 % accurate in your statements , it is the CVN file that is sent to GM before any repairs are authorized

Dave
Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

That is the million dollar question. Dave, recently you posted a thread asking for information on how to access the ecm because of "issues" you were having. Prior to that, in another thread you entertained the thought of replacing the original ecm with a tuned one. Were you able to make any headway or was the above question the stumbling block? I heard from my dealer contact that GM keeps track of any replacement ecms that are flashed to a particular vin making this pretty much an impassible situation.

Last edited by 383vett; 07-09-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Dealer can not tell if you used an inTune or Trinity on your car.
The following users liked this post:
Bmwmike (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:06 PM
383vett
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
And GM also cannot based on information provided to them by the dealer?
Old 07-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 383vett
nope ....... trust me on this one....

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Bmwmike (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:39 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Dave
Old 07-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Let me clarify this (again )

GM uses the CVNs to determine if a non GM flash was applied to the pcm.
In their mind, anything that flashes these pcms and is NOT a GM file will show an invalid CVN which is their indication that an aftermarket flash was performed.
In reality, when you flash with an inTune or Trinity device from Diablosport, the CVNs do not change, at all.
Normally a new CVN is captured for every flash, but thats not the case with our devices.
As such, if GM asks the dealer to verify the CVNs before a warranty procedure is performed, everything will check out if using one of our devices.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2018, 02:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Let me clarify this (again )

GM uses the CVNs to determine if a non GM flash was applied to the pcm.
In their mind, anything that flashes these pcms and is NOT a GM file will show an invalid CVN which is their indication that an aftermarket flash was performed.
In reality, when you flash with an inTune or Trinity device from Diablosport, the CVNs do not change, at all.
Normally a new CVN is captured for every flash, but thats not the case with our devices.
As such, if GM asks the dealer to verify the CVNs before a warranty procedure is performed, everything will check out if using one of our devices.

Thanks
Thank you. I'll be giving you a call soon.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Z06Brucey
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

True, if I wanted to get more technical I could. I run a service department, I know how these things work. Been in the business for a long time. Its easy buy a second ECM yourself and have a reflashed to OEM program and tune the second ECM you bought. You don't have to surrender your original ECM.

It also depends on your dealer status if you need to do a PQC on a engine "fix" or a full replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Tune clarification custom and Diablo

Old 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Danengraham
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Do the rear cat deletes and then do muffler deletes. It should be pretty loud at that point. With warranty still intact.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Danengraham
Do the rear cat deletes and then do muffler deletes. It should be pretty loud at that point. With warranty still intact.
Reading is fundamental ………. read the Original Post's opening statement
I did the catless x pipe and axle back and it still needs some more volume so I want to add headers.
he already deleted the rear cats

Deleting the mufflers is just crazy unless you think DRONE is good …..

The rest of this post is going way off the tracks, the OP asked about a DIABLO and now we are talking about replacing a ECM which the OP never asked for ……
The OP asked if loading a tune with a DIABLO would be detectable , he got his answer …….end of post
Dave
Old 07-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 349 Posts

Amen!!! And to be quite honest.....I really think many people are getting tired of hearing”I want my corvette faster but I’m afraid of my warranty,will they know if I did”? Suck it up buttercups!!!!!! Mod the dam thing right and don’t worry about it Or leave the dam thing alone!!!!!!! Boo hoo....it’s all getting old my friends. Gary

Quick Reply: Tune clarification custom and Diablo