C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Corvette AMT Camber Kit coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:55 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks. I am having the shop do the install and alignment, so I just wanted to know what to tell them. I just wasn't sure if the shims created any sort of riding issue with the long tabs on them, where installing a (1) stock washer next to the frame would eliminate that.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

No - you won't have any problem at all with any riding.

Do you have the camber kit?

Who is doing your alignment - a dealership? If so, then they'll know the torque specs for the bolts for the dogbones, as well as the bolts for the LCA's.

If it will be a performance shop, hopefully they'll know the required torque specs, which are quite high to try to get the eccentrics tight so they won't slip.

One of the things that some owners have had a problem with is getting toe adjusted properly. I have the Granatelli adjustable toe-links which make it very easy to set toe.

Mark@AMT Motorsport has the Granatelli links, and also supplies a plate to lock in the toe. Without Mark's plates, the Granatellis use the stock eccentric on the cradle end.

Mark's plates should take all the worry out of your toe alignment slipping!!

Below is the OE toe link. You can see it's just a solid rod. The entire toe alignment is done with an eccentric washer - it has a very limited range of adjustment, is difficult to make adjustments to toe (especially to fine tune it!), and is susceptible to slippage:

And below is the right rear of my car with the Granatelli adjustable tie-rod type link. At the very left end you can just make out the OE eccentric behind the stabilizer bar bracket. I have since replaced that eccentric with Mark's plate:

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-25-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Got a local speedshop doing my install and alignment. I have a set of the Granatelli toe links, with the plates from AMT, and the AMT camber kit which they will be installing at the same time.
They did the alignment on my Z51 before. I brought them in my caster tool(which I got from you!). I'll look into the torques required tonight and have them listed for them.

Last edited by 08G8V8; 07-25-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:53 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
... I brought them in my caster tool(which I got from you!)...
Oh yeah - I hope it's working good for you!!

Below are pictures of the front and rear torque specs in my 2016 Service Manual.

However, the installation sheet I have from AMT says the nuts for the bolts through the LCA bushings and camber plates are only 80 lb-ft. I think the 125 lb-ft for the eccentric cams is to try to get them tight enough so they won't slip, but with the plates you just don't need that much.

Those specs on the rear suspension page for the "Adjust Link Nuts" are for the factory toe link. The inner one has the factory eccentric cam, but if you're installing the Granatelli links their installation instructions might have a spec - I can't remember - and with the AMT plate there won't be any slipping.

The factory bolts that hold the UCA's and dogbones to the frame are 48 lb-ft, but with the shims, AMT instructions may have a spec for their nuts.

Good luck with the alignment!!

The following users liked this post:
08G8V8 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Oh yeah - I hope it's working good for you!!

Below are pictures of the front and rear torque specs in my 2016 Service Manual.

However, the installation sheet I have from AMT says the nuts for the bolts through the LCA bushings and camber plates are only 80 lb-ft. I think the 125 lb-ft for the eccentric cams is to try to get them tight enough so they won't slip, but with the plates you just don't need that much.

Those specs on the rear suspension page for the "Adjust Link Nuts" are for the factory toe link. The inner one has the factory eccentric cam, but if you're installing the Granatelli links their installation instructions might have a spec - I can't remember - and with the AMT plate there won't be any slipping.

The factory bolts that hold the UCA's and dogbones to the frame are 48 lb-ft, but with the shims, AMT instructions may have a spec for their nuts.

Good luck with the alignment!!
I hope Mark chimes in on the LCA torque. The instructions I had said that the bolts that went through the LCA with the AMT camber plates were to be torqued to 130 lb/ft.

As you said the others were:
UCA bolts - 48 lb/ft.
Granatelli toe links:
- 55 lb/ft at the bolt that replaces the eccentric.
- 45 lb/ft at the other end where the tapered bolt is.

I'm going to start up another thread with my experience doing the alignment myself.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

Hey all,

Our instructions say 130 ft lbs on the LCA bolts. We only spec that much because that's what a non-lubed Grade 10 M14 bolt is designed to be torqued to. We used to say 85 ft lbs on those, but I had too many mechanical engineers reprimand be for recommending too low a spec! But since we're not using friction to keep the eccentrics from slipping any more 130 ft lbs sounds like alot, but again it's the recommended torque for that bolt.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Aha!!! I'll need to go out and torque mine down a little tighter!! I guess I have your old original installation sheet.

Mark, what do you recommend for the nuts on your studs, and how about the Granatelli toe links?

TIA

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-25-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Aha!!! I'll need to go out and torque mine down a little tighter!! I guess I have your old original installation sheet.v

Mark, what do you recommend for the nuts on your studs, and how about the Granatelli toe links?

TIA

Ha. No you don't need to run out and re-torque your LCAs. I run my own at 85.

Upper control arms are 50 ft lbs, and for the replacement Granatelli bolts the spec is 90 ft lbs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark@AMT Motorsport:
08G8V8 (07-25-2017), BEZ06 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
Ha. No you don't need to run out and re-torque your LCAs. I run my own at 85.

Upper control arms are 50 ft lbs, and for the replacement Granatelli bolts the spec is 90 ft lbs.
This is the bolt that goes in place of the rear toe link eccentric, correct? I thought you said 55 lb/ft?

BTW, thanks for the awesome customer service and responding so quick to my mails last Friday night!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
This is the bolt that goes in place of the rear toe link eccentric, correct? I thought you said 55 lb/ft?

BTW, thanks for the awesome customer service and responding so quick to my mails last Friday night!
I did say that, and I apologize. I half forgot it was an M12 bolt and not an M10. But as above I said above with the LCA at 85 lbs vs 130 lbs, nothing is going to slip at whether you torque that M12 bolt to 55lbs or 90 ft lbs. But technically, it's an M12, non lubricated, Grade 10 bolt, and the fastener spec for that is 93 ft lbs. If it was on my car, I'd be torquing it to 55 ft lbs
Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I hope Mark chimes in on the LCA torque. The instructions I had said that the bolts that went through the LCA with the AMT camber plates were to be torqued to 130 lb/ft.

As you said the others were:
UCA bolts - 48 lb/ft.
Granatelli toe links:
- 55 lb/ft at the bolt that replaces the eccentric.
- 45 lb/ft at the other end where the tapered bolt is.

I'm going to start up another thread with my experience doing the alignment myself.
My other thread is here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-learned.html

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette AMT Camber Kit coming soon