C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 oil catch can question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Liter of cola
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default LT1 oil catch can question

Whats the best oil catch can set up for the dry sump lt1?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:58 PM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Liter of cola
Elite Engineering. There are several options available in can size and ports. Their design is far superior to all others on the market. They work.
The following users liked this post:
mjmcclain3 (03-31-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 12:40 AM
Liter of cola
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Camaro
Elite Engineering. There are several options available in can size and ports. Their design is far superior to all others on the market. They work.
Im seeing 2 differant options for the c7, theres one with 3 ports and one with 2.

Is there really a need for the 3rd port?

Last edited by Liter of cola; 01-21-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:21 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I like mighty mouse with relief valve.
David@MMS (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Im seeing 2 differant options for the c7, theres one with 3 ports and one with 2.

Is there really a need for the 3rd port?
I debated that and bought a compromise if I ever felt the 2nd exit and drilled hole in the air intake tube was needed. I bought the two outlet (3 port) Elite can (very well made) and the check valve (that is needed IF you use the 2nd outlet.) I have a 1/4 inch pipe thread plug in the 2nd outlet and still have the check valve! In ~3 years I don't believe it is useful for my driving so it stays plugged! This is a 15 page picture/text PDF of my install including an Appendix where I show the average pressure before the throttle body can never be lower than the manifold! http://netwelding.com/Catch_Can.pdf

On average the pressure must be about 1/2 psi lower in the manifold versus before the throttle body to flow the ~700 CFM at WOT! It can be higher in pressure pulses and if tracking (or if you have a Z06) may be worth the 2nd exit, drilling a hole and installing a check valve. My single outlet install can easily be reversed.

Your car your choice.

PS: You'll see in the PDF I replaced the OEM bolt with a stud to mount the can. I moved the ground at the location a few inches forward with another ground connected to the frame. At the time I just did that to make it easier to remove the can for cleaning but was also concerned about having the heavy wire ground as a combo with the catch can bracket. A recent post validated by another indicates the electric power steering motor can draw 100+ amps and found a quality ground connection is critical or it will shut off the steering assist! Looks like moving the ground away from where the bracket mounts was a good idea!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-22-2017 at 11:26 AM.
mjmcclain3 (03-31-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
I like mighty mouse with relief valve.
on the mighty mouse can great guy. The guy above the elite can are the same guy that made the monster can didn't work at all on the c5 back a few years ago. Plus finally came out and said it was bad BUT wouldnt do a dam thing about it in the end.

In the c7 I went with the LMR stuff in this car a little pricey but works also. Again for the money might mouse a lot of guys has not said nothing bad at all from what I have seen in here. Robert
Old 01-22-2017, 01:10 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

best at what is the first question.

best at pcv? LMR is out
best at open venting? Elite is out

here is a cool vid

#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 01-22-2017, 04:46 PM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

NONE.. not needed

Old 01-22-2017, 05:40 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by pbergmann
NONE.. not needed
how did you arrive at that answer with such conviction?

please say something other than 'it is built in to the dry sump' since that is not even where they usually connect.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:55 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Just be aware that some dealerships have claimed this could void your warranty. I asked my local dealership who is highly regarded in this forum and who does corvette racing if this is something I needed. His answer was not if I'm using it for street use only. Opinions vary on this forum on everything I have said.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:21 PM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

NONE.. not needed
Totally ignorant.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:16 PM
pbergmann
Pro

Ignorant... hmm

10​0,000 plus C7's built. Handful installed. Voids new car and any extended warranty.
No problems reported by service manager from #6 largest volume corvette dealer for last 8 years. Van Chevrolet Scottsdale Az.
Yep I want to jump on board.. Not.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:31 PM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Ignorant... hmm

10​0,000 plus C7's built. Handful installed. Voids new car and any extended warranty.
No problems reported by service manager from #6 largest volume corvette dealer for last 8 years. Van Chevrolet Scottsdale Az.
Yep I want to jump on board.. Not.
You are 100% wrong that it would void your factory warranty. I have worked at a GM dealer as a Tech/Foreman for 16 years and know how warranty claims work. And you obviously do not understand the benefits of running a catch can.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:44 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Any catch can is better than none.
LSX Camaro (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 PM
davids2005ssr
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can

if you need one why didnt it come from factory
pbergmann (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:19 PM
pbergmann
Pro

You are 100% wrong that it would void your factory warranty. I have worked at a GM dealer as a Tech/Foreman for 16 years and know how warranty claims work. And you obviously do not understand the benefits of running a catch can.
Just going by the dealer and his statements to me about my car.
The same one who will or will not honor my warranty claims.

Go ahead, You guys can and will do what ever you want.... Doesn't matter to me in any shape or form.
Then later on, we can sit back and smugly read your posts when GM uses mods as a reason to deny your claims.

Lets end this dribble.

Last edited by pbergmann; 01-22-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

My experience indicates with logic and good reason for a failure I have been successful in showing:
1) A 6 month old clutch pressure plate cracked, not from abuse but because of a defect. That required the Chevy dealer to get his local GM service rep to visit and see the perfectly fine clutch disk and flywheel face and cracked cast iron pressure plate.
2) The bolt in my 260Z differential ring gear came loose, unscrewed, and broke a hole in the case due to a safety clip not being properly bent closed (that explanation was helped by a comment in their service manual to check IF the differential case was every removed and a report to Datsun in Japan! The diff case had to be lowered from the car to remove the case cover and it was NOT part of any maintenance!) The cost of a new differential and installation was reimbursed.
3) My C6 had a hole in the AC condenser the dealer said GM would not cover because it could be caused by a rock. That required a report showing the hole came from the inside of a tube and the condenser was bent at the hole location before installation, probably from being dropped. The $800 I paid for a new one being installed was reimbursed - the dealer was very helpful in getting his local GM rep to accept the explanation.

Originally Posted by davids2005ssr
if you need one why didnt it come from factory
GM or the EPA are not going to allow a device that requires periodic emptying of the oil and "stuff" or it could cause a problem. Folks don't even check the oil level as recommended let along empty a "catch can." If they did empty it, where would they dump the "stuff?" Down the drain? Would they put it in the container that they use to change their own oil and bring to a recycling center as I do? Doubt all would.
DI is causing a "coking" problem in all engines. The only potentioal solution I have seen is Toyota who have some engines with DI for it's benefits AND port injection that operates periodically that puts gasoline over the valve backs occasionally to clean off the "stuff" deposited by the PCV system. A poster said, in fact, port injection is better when idling.

My "catch can" is not a total solution but the oil collected and dumped every couple of thousand miles is better in the recycle center than baked on the back of my intake valves!

If needed I'll defend my simple device that is in the same line as their PCV hose and has low restriction and does nothing more that collect some of the "stuff" that comes from the crackcase into the intake so it doesn't bake o my intake valves. Your car your choice.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-22-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 oil catch can question

Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm not going to debate the need for a catch can. However, it does appear as if GM has denied engine coverage for a catch can. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...catch-can.html

Old 01-22-2017, 10:07 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

There is no reason to install an air oil separator if you don't think its needed. Those of us that want to benefit from an air oil separator have no problem ignoring the "dribble".
JerryU (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

they have also denied claims for abuse 'racing' is apparently abuse and grounds for voiding work on americas #1 sports car.. anyways

I love my window tint and it also did not come from the factory.. lot of purists on here which is cool but maybe should stay out of the mods section IMO.

so anyways what is the harm in NOT derailing this thread? what oh what would happen if we stuck to the topic?

take off your cold air tube and look into it, if it is wet then you have a clean side consumption issue. if it is dry then check behind the throttle body to find your dirty side consumption.

dont assume what you or someone else needs or doesn't need. just LOOK. if you are happy with what you find do nothing and be happy. if you are not happy then you are in the market for a can!

almost anything will help, start to split hairs with the higher end models when it comes to oil catching efficiency, but there are also some other functions you should not overlook depending on your application.

Quick Reply: LT1 oil catch can question