C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube assembly and installation procedures needed for A8

Old 10-09-2019, 02:46 PM
us3rname
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Torque Tube assembly and installation procedures needed for A8

I'm going to be installing a new torque converter and carbon drive shaft this winter and am looking for assembly and installation procedures. Mostly I just need the torque for the drive shaft coupler hardware and the procedure for setting crank shaft end play when installing the torque tube. I tried looking at the torque chart on here for the drive shaft hardware but didn't see it. Any information anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Last edited by us3rname; 10-09-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:24 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I'd get the factory shop manuals and pay close attention. If you don't do it correctly you'll end up wiping out your thrust bearing.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:26 PM
us3rname
Pro

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I'd get the factory shop manuals and pay close attention. If you don't do it correctly you'll end up wiping out your thrust bearing.
Thats exactly why I’m trying to get the procedure for it.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,289 Likes on 855 Posts

This bulletin may be of help:

https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/2014-2016-corvette-gm-techlink-updated-corvette-driveline-support-assembly-replacement-procedure-1313.html

Ron
Old 10-09-2019, 10:03 PM
us3rname
Pro

I was able to find what I was looking for and much much more from https://www.repairprocedures.com. Totally worth the 15.00 for 24hrs of access. As for the procedure its straight forward and a fairly simple process.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:32 PM
djyankees31
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a failed Torque tube and torque converter.

Did you happen to make a video you could publish to your channel?
Old 10-17-2021, 11:32 AM
Pjmc15Z51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don’t know that it makes any difference but what year is your car?

Patrick
Old 10-17-2021, 03:11 PM
djyankees31
Instructor

I have a 2015 Z51 A8. I've had some driveline vibrations for more than 2 years. I had the transmission fluid changes as described in the various TSB's that didn't help. I had a Chevrolet dealership do a PICO test about 6 months ago but they couldn't determine the source of the vibration. So now the drive shaft in the torque tube has slide back into the tube. So I'll be replacing the torque tube and torque converter. Trying to decide if it can be done as a DIY through the winter in my garage using a quick jack.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:23 PM
Pjmc15Z51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by djyankees31
I have a 2015 Z51 A8. I've had some driveline vibrations for more than 2 years. I had the transmission fluid changes as described in the various TSB's that didn't help. I had a Chevrolet dealership do a PICO test about 6 months ago but they couldn't determine the source of the vibration. So now the drive shaft in the torque tube has slide back into the tube. So I'll be replacing the torque tube and torque converter. Trying to decide if it can be done as a DIY through the winter in my garage using a quick jack.
I also have a 2015 Z51 A8 and I’m looking at doing my own converter swap. I have the shop manuals and I wouldn’t want to begin the job without some sort of repair manual. There are just little things here and there that I wouldn’t think of that are critical. An example of that is checking crankshaft end play after you join the torque shaft. Between the shop manuals, this forum, and YouTube you can pull it off if you’re mechanically talented.

Patrick
Old 05-13-2022, 02:33 PM
djyankees31
Instructor

FYI, I replaced the torque tube and converter without any issues. So far I have around 400 miles on the Corvette since replacing. The Corvette is driving great.

I did it in my garage with a quick jack and two harbour freight transmissions racks. I used the information from another thread that provided great details without having to remove the complete driveline. In short, remove exhaust, disconnect hard brake line, drop cradle about 6 inches using a transmission jack, remove bolts from torque tube and bell housing, remove bolts from torque tube and torque converter. Slide the transmission and e-diff back and down just enough to remove torque tube to the other transmission jack. Remove the torque converter. Then it's easier to install the new converter and tube when they are not attached to the transmission. No forcing or damaging the engine flex plate or main bearing. Put back together and double check everything.
CorvetteMike2024 (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:10 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by djyankees31
FYI, I replaced the torque tube and converter without any issues. So far I have around 400 miles on the Corvette since replacing. The Corvette is driving great.

I did it in my garage with a quick jack and two harbour freight transmissions racks. I used the information from another thread that provided great details without having to remove the complete driveline. In short, remove exhaust, disconnect hard brake line, drop cradle about 6 inches using a transmission jack, remove bolts from torque tube and bell housing, remove bolts from torque tube and torque converter. Slide the transmission and e-diff back and down just enough to remove torque tube to the other transmission jack. Remove the torque converter. Then it's easier to install the new converter and tube when they are not attached to the transmission. No forcing or damaging the engine flex plate or main bearing. Put back together and double check everything.
I hope you followed the procedure for torquing down the clamp bolt and checking the movement on the crankshaft.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:15 AM
djyankees31
Instructor

Originally Posted by ss2z06
I hope you followed the procedure for torquing down the clamp bolt and checking the movement on the crankshaft.
I did. Then verified it multiple times after driving. That was my biggest concern.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:22 AM
ArcticWhite
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Some key things you need to know:

1. install your own supplied bolts into the two threaded holes to hold the front bearing in place before trying to insert the torque tube into the flex plate. This prevents the bearing from pushing back when you insert the torque tube into the flex plate. Failure to do this can result in torque tube failing prematurely.
2. If your flex plate has rivets and not bolts, upgrade to the bolt/nut flex plate (the rivets can rattle over time and then you are doing this all over again).
3. Remove the front bearing positioning bolts after torque tube is bolted up.
4. with the front spline bolt finger tight, run the car 10mins and then let it cool to room temp. push the front of the crank towards the back of the car and then torque the spline bolt to spec.
5. Run the car 10 or more miles. Let it completely cool. Untorque the spline bolt an then re-torque it to spec.
6. When removing or installing the torque tube, you can't let it drop down more than flush with the bottom of the undercarriage. The engine mounts prevented that much movement on mine (even with the engine mounts loosened to allow more tilt).
7. The torque converter has a machined dot on it and the torque tube rear flex plate has an X on it. Make sure that the dot on the torque converter aligns with the X on the flex plate.

These are just from memory, but I think that is pretty much it for special procedures. While in there it is a good time to replace the rear main engine seal, and any seal weeping in the rear end (axles/rear cover, etc).
I found it was easier to install the torque tube to the engine bell housing and then mount and bolt up the transmission/rear cradle to the torque tube. This gives you much more control on angle when installing the torque tube and makes it easier to ensure you don't exceed the 100lbs insertion force. The factory procedure is to bolt the torque tube to the transmission and then insert the splines into the flywheel and bolt the torque tube to the engine.

All in all it wasn't that bad of a job. The biggest thing you want to make sure of is that the crank is centered when you tighten the splines, so you don't wear the crank thrust bearings.

djyankees31 (05-24-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 10:35 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticWhite
Some key things you need to know:

1. install your own supplied bolts into the two threaded holes to hold the front bearing in place before trying to insert the torque tube into the flex plate. This prevents the bearing from pushing back when you insert the torque tube into the flex plate. Failure to do this can result in torque tube failing prematurely.
2. If your flex plate has rivets and not bolts, upgrade to the bolt/nut flex plate (the rivets can rattle over time and then you are doing this all over again).
3. Remove the front bearing positioning bolts after torque tube is bolted up.
4. with the front spline bolt finger tight, run the car 10mins and then let it cool to room temp. push the front of the crank towards the back of the car and then torque the spline bolt to spec.
5. Run the car 10 or more miles. Let it completely cool. Untorque the spline bolt an then re-torque it to spec.
6. When removing or installing the torque tube, you can't let it drop down more than flush with the bottom of the undercarriage. The engine mounts prevented that much movement on mine (even with the engine mounts loosened to allow more tilt).
7. The torque converter has a machined dot on it and the torque tube rear flex plate has an X on it. Make sure that the dot on the torque converter aligns with the X on the flex plate.

These are just from memory, but I think that is pretty much it for special procedures. While in there it is a good time to replace the rear main engine seal, and any seal weeping in the rear end (axles/rear cover, etc).
I found it was easier to install the torque tube to the engine bell housing and then mount and bolt up the transmission/rear cradle to the torque tube. This gives you much more control on angle when installing the torque tube and makes it easier to ensure you don't exceed the 100lbs insertion force. The factory procedure is to bolt the torque tube to the transmission and then insert the splines into the flywheel and bolt the torque tube to the engine.

All in all it wasn't that bad of a job. The biggest thing you want to make sure of is that the crank is centered when you tighten the splines, so you don't wear the crank thrust bearings.

I need to replace my TT and TC. I am having trouble understanding direction #1
Old 07-21-2022, 10:44 PM
ArcticWhite
Racer

The new torque tube has two plastic plugs in the front of it. Remove the plugs and you will see threaded holes. You insert bolts into those holes and tighten them down. They tighten down onto the front bearing and hold it in place. You do this before install or removal. If you dont do this, inserting the torque tube during install or pulling out the torque tube during removal can cause the bearing to move which can cause torque tube failure over time. Once the torque tube is installed or removed, you remove the bolts.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:23 AM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

OK. Thanks. Why is this bearing not captured by a lip machined into the tube or a snapring?
Old 07-22-2022, 08:23 AM
ArcticWhite
Racer

Im going off memory but I dont believe the front bearing has a snapring. For some reason they left the bearing floating.
Old 10-18-2022, 11:37 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

When you replace your torque converter, I see people talk about zeroing the slip tables. Can someone explain this to me please? Can GM service do this?

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube assembly and installation procedures needed for A8

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Tube assembly and installation procedures needed for A8