C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M7 shifting 1st to 2nd issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 AM
GS Speedster
Navigator

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default M7 shifting 1st to 2nd issue

My GS has about 550 miles on it and every once in awhile while shifting from 1st to 2nd I find that the shifter sort of moves to the right. I need to then push left to get it to go into 2nd. This does not happen all the time. Just does not want to flow from 1 to 2 at times.

I tried looking on the forum and saw some replacing with MGW shifter. Not ready to make that type of change, just wondering if this is a shifting technique issue. Though I am pretty good with manual transmissions having driven for many years. This is the first one that did not seem to flow well and only happens between 1 & 2.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 AM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Speedster
My GS has about 550 miles on it and every once in awhile while shifting from 1st to 2nd I find that the shifter sort of moves to the right. I need to then push left to get it to go into 2nd. This does not happen all the time. Just does not want to flow from 1 to 2 at times.

I tried looking on the forum and saw some replacing with MGW shifter. Not ready to make that type of change, just wondering if this is a shifting technique issue. Though I am pretty good with manual transmissions having driven for many years. This is the first one that did not seem to flow well and only happens between 1 & 2.
Funny you mention the MGW. Mine has 400 miles and I ordered it at 100. Good thing they are on backorder b/c today I cancelled it for now. I too have driven a stick for years, and this is my first Tremec. To me it's stiffer than a Getrag and takes a little getting used to. The 1-2 shift was frustrating but gotten much better as I have learned how to feather it using finger pressure instead of the wrist. The 1-2 shift does not like the cold at all, as other forum members will attest.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:35 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Your not talking about CAGS??
Old 03-16-2017, 10:49 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

^^^
While this trans can be a little notchy until warm a push to the right sounds like the cags is kicking in for fuel economy.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Does a 1-4 light come up on your dash when this happens? If so, it's CAGS trying to make you shift from 1 to 4. Get a !CAGs device, plug it in and this 1-4 problem will go away.

Transmission Messages
1-4 SHIFT
This message displays on a manual
transmission vehicle when you can
only shift from 1 (First) to 4 (Fourth)
instead of 1 (First) to 2 (Second).

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-16-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added Owner's Manual quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

IMO some people shift to slow and pause in neutral as they are doing the shift. This pause allows the shifter to slightly move to the side.
Its either that or the CAGS.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:58 AM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedC6
dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Your not talking about CAGS??
Good point, if the OP is going under 20 and glancing at the shifter he may be missing the CAGS indicator flash. Bypassing that was mod # 2
The following users liked this post:
6speedC6 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 PM
GS Speedster
Navigator

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LivinTheDream
Good point, if the OP is going under 20 and glancing at the shifter he may be missing the CAGS indicator flash. Bypassing that was mod # 2

Haha, you know maybe the CAGS is issue I have seen something about switching to skipping a gear or something and thought WTH does that mean.

Ok that is most likely the issue thanks for the clarification. This is my first Chevrolet vehicle and Corvette.

"Bypassing is mod #2" how do I do that?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:18 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skip-Shift-E...dV-fCA&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
Red Ryder (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM
Cchief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There are many threads on this issue...i failed trying to get GM and Tremec to fix the notchy and or grinding issue shifting from 1-2 especially in cold weather. I went the Lemon Law route and won my case....check arrives today or tomorrow for a few thousand to help. The car is still under warranty...they have settled for cash because they don't want the car back and don't have a fix. I bought my 2016 M7 Z51 last August when it was 85 out and no apparent grinding issues. My recommendation is to PM me for my attorney information....if we file enough of these claims, maybe GM will come up with a fix.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Cchief
There are many threads on this issue...i failed trying to get GM and Tremec to fix the notchy and or grinding issue shifting from 1-2 especially in cold weather. I went the Lemon Law route and won my case....check arrives today or tomorrow for a few thousand to help. The car is still under warranty...they have settled for cash because they don't want the car back and don't have a fix. I bought my 2016 M7 Z51 last August when it was 85 out and no apparent grinding issues. My recommendation is to PM me for my attorney information....if we file enough of these claims, maybe GM will come up with a fix.
The problem with that is most people aren't really bothered by the notchiness when the transmission is cold. After a half mile or so of driving it is gone and it is what it is. If the transmission fails to shift or is jammed in gear and can't be taken out of gear then that is a failure but a temporary condition that doesn't affect the durability or operation of the transmission isn't a failure.

Bill
Old 03-17-2017, 06:15 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

^ Indeed, this is no big deal and does get better with time/mileage.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:44 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I'm sorry, but WTF? The OP can't tell if the car is broken or it's the CAGS system? Did you RTFM? (CAGS eliminator solves that...)

The MGW shifter is by far the best thing you could do for your enjoyment of the car. The stock shifter is vague, sloppy, and notchy. If you think the stock shifter is good, you don't get out much. (meaning you don't drive other cars. Miata, S2000, even a MINI Cooper have great shifters.)

Anyway, the MGW makes it much better. I have rarely said that something should come from the factory with that, but in this case, the GM engineers should look into it.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The problem with that is most people aren't really bothered by the notchiness when the transmission is cold. After a half mile or so of driving it is gone and it is what it is. If the transmission fails to shift or is jammed in gear and can't be taken out of gear then that is a failure but a temporary condition that doesn't affect the durability or operation of the transmission isn't a failure.

Bill
Finally, someone with some sense. As long as it is not grinding, it is not a big deal. Sometimes it just takes a little extra nudge to get into second. People go nuts over the smallest things.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:04 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I think you would notice if you are going into 4th instead of 2nd.

There is a bit of technique for shifting the Tremec. I have only used this on 6 speeds from 1999 to 2013:
1st to 2nd have your palm on the right side of the shifter with thumb pointing up.
2nd to 3rd palm on top thumb pointing left.
3rd to 4th palm on left with thumb pointing down.

I did get grinding in my 2011 Camaro SS. The 13 ZL1 is much better. The notchy feel can be improved with an oil blend. I used Redline ATF and MTL.

Last edited by djnice; 04-07-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 PM
louispe
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems M7 1-2 gear

This issue you're highlighting happens BY DESIGN. First to Second transition on M7 is redirected to First to Fourth when the engine is warm and RPM is low. It is an operation designed to help the Corvette meet EPA standards
Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

After hearing that some have found the trans fluid to be low,I changed mine('17 Z51) at approx 1000 miles.

It was about 1/2 qt low and was very red/silver from the new gears breaking in.

Seems to be better.

The Tremec is known to be a bit notchy.
\db2
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To M7 shifting 1st to 2nd issue

Old 06-20-2017, 02:47 PM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
^ Indeed, this is no big deal and does get better with time/mileage.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Doctor Mark
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 118 Posts

Believe the CAGS is for fuel economy standards but I may be incorrect.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:37 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Been driving around CAGS for 20 years. Out of habit I rev to over 2500 rpm in 1st, even if I'm driving mellow. That bypasses CAGS.

Quick Reply: M7 shifting 1st to 2nd issue