C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 harness (4 or 5 pt) w/o bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:16 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts
Default C7 harness (4 or 5 pt) w/o bar?

I saw this cool 4 pt harness setup on a BMW M3 this last weekend where he didn't need a bar, the backs used the rear seat belt buckles and he was able to just unclip everything and put them away to use the stock 3 pt for the drive home.

Is there anything like that out there for the c7 with comp seats? I don't want to lose the factory 3pt for just around town cruising - the wife will not go for a harness! But I'd like something better than the 3pt for future HPDE so I can get a HANS (yes I know there's a 3pt HANS, but I like the feeling of being held tighter in the seat by a 4 pt system.

Also - does a 5pt require a cut in the seat for the bottom center strap?

Let me ask this another way - without modifications to the car other than perhaps some plates where there are already attachments for buckles and stuff - is there a harness for the c7 that will get me where I want to be - no bar, no drilling holes, no slashing seats?
Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by fishpick
I saw this cool 4 pt harness setup on a BMW M3 this last weekend where he didn't need a bar, the backs used the rear seat belt buckles and he was able to just unclip everything and put them away to use the stock 3 pt for the drive home.

Is there anything like that out there for the c7 with comp seats? I don't want to lose the factory 3pt for just around town cruising - the wife will not go for a harness! But I'd like something better than the 3pt for future HPDE so I can get a HANS (yes I know there's a 3pt HANS, but I like the feeling of being held tighter in the seat by a 4 pt system.

Also - does a 5pt require a cut in the seat for the bottom center strap?

Let me ask this another way - without modifications to the car other than perhaps some plates where there are already attachments for buckles and stuff - is there a harness for the c7 that will get me where I want to be - no bar, no drilling holes, no slashing seats?
Only way without custom mounts is a harness bar. Everything else is too weak to properly attach a harness to. I think almost everyone that street drives their car keeps the stock 3pt also.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Harness bar is the only way to go with a Vette. The BMW has a back seat so Schroth makes belts that use the stock back seat belt receivers to fasten the shoulder harnesses.

You can purchase a similar Schroth system (Profi II ASM) to use in the Vette but you will need to install a harness bar and lap belt mounts. That gives you a 4 point harness system that has Anti Submarine capability and lets the harnesses be used where the normal antisub belt can't be used. Most track organizations will accept the ASM 4 point but some don't. NCM doesn't. They require a sub belt. I use a Schroth 2 point sub belt that plugs into the bottom of the Profi II Cam Lock and loop the belt under my legs and out to the lap belt mounts where I fasten that end in the same hole as the lap belt. That gives me a setup similar to the Team Tech Jet Pilot harness which loops around the legs the same way. My problem with the Jet Pilot harness every time I have ridden in a car with them is they always come loose while on track, sometimes very loose. I don't know whether it is because they weren't installed correctly but when I have a student that uses them I tell them I will just use the 3 point since in a Corvette I can cinch it to hold me in place.

Bill
Old 05-01-2019, 04:38 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

The Simpson Hybrid HNR is always a good option without a bar.

Last edited by fleming23; 05-01-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:43 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Two ways to do this:

1. OEM seats with the OEM seatbelt cinch feature and the Simpson HNR for 3-point belts

2. Harness-bar with proper harnesses

I went the latter route, but sometimes wish I'd just done option 1 as I'm starting to want a C8.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the info - prob go with the HANS 3pt -

when you guys talk about the tensioning of the 3pt - the way I do it is - seat back of track, yank strap to lock - slide seat forward until belt is tight.

theres not some magic button somewhere that does that is there???
Old 05-12-2019, 10:03 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by fishpick
Thanks for the info - prob go with the HANS 3pt -

when you guys talk about the tensioning of the 3pt - the way I do it is - seat back of track, yank strap to lock - slide seat forward until belt is tight.

theres not some magic button somewhere that does that is there???
You can pull it tight without moving the seat. If you need to, just move it an inch forward to get even tighter.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:42 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

No magic button... pull the shoulder belt as tight as you can with the seat a little back, then move seat forward a little and it'll be mega tight.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 harness (4 or 5 pt) w/o bar?

Quick Reply: C7 harness (4 or 5 pt) w/o bar?