I want to cut out the X part of the X-pipe - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

I want to cut out the X part of the X-pipe

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to cut out the X part of the X-pipe

Old 03-30-2017, 01:54 PM
HorsePower Junkie
CF Senior Member

Thank you to all for your replies, you are appreciated!

Anyone have a C7 stock X-pipe for a Base Model C7 somewhere near Houston that is collecting dust in your garage you might like to get rid of?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2018, 03:54 AM
HorsePower Junkie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post

It will feel exactly the same

Tried all 3 on different cars all felt identical
cuisinartvette,

When you did this was it a deeper sound without an X-pipe or H-pipe?

Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 AM
DAVE396LT1
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,385 Times in 920 Posts

Warning: Actual explanation follows.

Separate pipes will be a more old-school sound. The big difference is the asymmetry of the firing order - think of which side this happens on:

1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Left, right, left, right, right, left, right, left,

So it does 3-1 (two lefts into same header) on one side and 2-6 on the other (two rights into same header), which sounds DISTINCTIVE and you lose that sound, or some of it anyway, by allowing it to cross over and cancel out with sound from the opposing bank. You'll also lose some power due to increased backpressure by eliminating crossovers.

It will sound "old" because your brain is used to older muscle cars without H pipes having that distinctive sound signature, just like a Harley sounds like it's always about to stall in a very distinctive manner. Even though the firing order switched on the LS, and people will tell you that makes a sound difference, I think it just swaps it side to side, should sound about the same.

Last edited by DAVE396LT1; 12-03-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:28 PM
robert miller
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,060 Times in 965 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
I think you would have less sound with true straight pipes. The C5s had an H Pipe with a small pipe diameter (1 inch if I remember) inside the crossover that supposedly provided some of the benefits of an X Pipe. It was about the closest thing you could get to a true straight pipe situation with the LS/LT engine series. However, a fair number of C5 owners switched over to X pipes and found sound levels increased as well as power.

Bill
I agree
Old 12-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 View Post
Warning: Actual explanation follows.

Separate pipes will be a more old-school sound. The big difference is the asymmetry of the firing order - think of which side this happens on:

1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Left, right, left, right, right, left, right, left,

So it does 3-1 (two lefts into same header) on one side and 2-6 on the other (two rights into same header), which sounds DISTINCTIVE and you lose that sound, or some of it anyway, by allowing it to cross over and cancel out with sound from the opposing bank. You'll also lose some power due to increased backpressure by eliminating crossovers.

It will sound "old" because your brain is used to older muscle cars without H pipes having that distinctive sound signature, just like a Harley sounds like it's always about to stall in a very distinctive manner. Even though the firing order switched on the LS, and people will tell you that makes a sound difference, I think it just swaps it side to side, should sound about the same.
^^^
This

and it will occasionally stall at idle due to incorrect back pressure and scavenging

Regards
Chip

Last edited by Custom Corvette Accessories; 12-03-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:06 PM
bigsapper
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie View Post

Anyone have a C7 stock X-pipe for a Base Model C7 somewhere near Houston that is collecting dust in your garage you might like to get rid of?

Thanks!

Had one for about 2 years and couldn't sale it, so it got disposed.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 PM
KemahGT
CF Senior Member

Thanks!

Yes, Iíve got one and Iím near Houston
Old 12-08-2018, 01:13 PM
BradT
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks!

I might have one soon off of my 2017 grand sport. Will let you know if I go that route. I track my car about four times a year and I like still having a warranty for that. So I am not sure I will do the Borla X pipe or not.

Last edited by BradT; 12-08-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I want to cut out the X part of the X-pipe

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: