C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will NPP work non-NPP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Fookz92
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will NPP work non-NPP?

Have researched before posting this and can't find the correct answer. I have a 16 stingray LT1. It's base as base can get. Non NPP dual mode exhaust. It's too freaking quiet! I want to turn heads. Have looked at prices and types. Narrowed down to Borla or B&B.
Question is, can I buy the aftermarket exhaust with the NPP dual mode option when I originally don't have the NPP option on my car now? Or am I forced to stick with the non NPP old traditional style? :/
Old 03-23-2017, 06:55 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Fookz92
Have researched before posting this and can't find the correct answer. I have a 16 stingray LT1. It's base as base can get. Non NPP dual mode exhaust. It's too freaking quiet! I want to turn heads. Have looked at prices and types. Narrowed down to Borla or B&B.
Question is, can I buy the aftermarket exhaust with the NPP dual mode option when I originally don't have the NPP option on my car now? Or am I forced to stick with the non NPP old traditional style? :/
There are a couple options, however you cannot buy and NPP exhaust and expect to just plug it right in. The wiring doesn't currently exist in your car to control the valves. You can either buy an NPP exhaust and leave the valves open all the time, which is what most people do, or, you can buy the two kits (need both) from Akrapovic which will allow it to function just like stock NPP.

One of the kits includes both of the valve actuators for the exhaust and the other kit has the controller which plugs into your OBD II port. Then, you control the exhaust with the drive mode dial on the center console the way you would control it with a factory NPP setup. Only other way to do it requires you to build a special circuit board to put the exhaust on a TRUE on/off switch (what I have)..

Ant
Old 01-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Deez nutz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by FYREANT
There are a couple options, however you cannot buy and NPP exhaust and expect to just plug it right in. The wiring doesn't currently exist in your car to control the valves. You can either buy an NPP exhaust and leave the valves open all the time, which is what most people do, or, you can buy the two kits (need both) from Akrapovic which will allow it to function just like stock NPP.

One of the kits includes both of the valve actuators for the exhaust and the other kit has the controller which plugs into your OBD II port. Then, you control the exhaust with the drive mode dial on the center console the way you would control it with a factory NPP setup. Only other way to do it requires you to build a special circuit board to put the exhaust on a TRUE on/off switch (what I have)..

Ant
Cheapest and easiest way is to add the NPP exhaust and to wire it to a remote switch. You just run 12v power to the switch and then run wires to actuators, use a remote to turn on/off. A 12v remote switch is about $14-40 on Amazon or ebay. I prefer the fully on or off function anyays. That way you don't get the 1700/1900 rpm hitch on the A6/A8 trans.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:28 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Deez nutz
Cheapest and easiest way is to add the NPP exhaust and to wire it to a remote switch. You just run 12v power to the switch and then run wires to actuators, use a remote to turn on/off. A 12v remote switch is about $14-40 on Amazon or ebay. I prefer the fully on or off function anyays. That way you don't get the 1700/1900 rpm hitch on the A6/A8 trans.
Im sorry, but this is wrong and will NOT work. The valve actuators on the C7 will not operate on a basic on off switch. The actuators require a VERY specific PWM (pulse width modulation) signal to control the valves. We have attempted to control the valves with a simple 12v on off switch before and it does not work. This was tested and confirmed to be the case by multiple members that are very experienced. Trust me, I know all about the exhaust system operation on the C7.

Last edited by FYREANT; 01-19-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:34 PM
olblue75
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

So they are not vacuum operated?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by olblue75
Negative ghost rider.. the pattern is full
Old 01-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Deez nutz
4th Gear

Im sorry, but this is wrong and will NOT work. The valve actuators on the C7 will not operate on a basic on off switch. The actuators require a VERY specific PWM (pulse width modulation) signal to control the valves. We have attempted to control the valves with a simple 12v on off switch before and it does not work. This was tested and confirmed to be the case by multiple members that are very experienced. Trust me, I know all about the exhaust system operation on the C7.
Dammit, I thought that would work for sure. I already ordered a 12v switch and was about to purchase NPP exhaust. Thanks for clearing that up for me, saves me a lot of work and disappintment. I will just look for a good aftermarket non NPP then. I do like the look of the Billy Boat Bullet with the speedway tips. Lots to think about now. At least I only spent $40 on ordering the switch so far...
Old 01-19-2018, 11:27 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by olblue75
Negative ghost rider.. the pattern is full

C6 NPP valves were vacuum-operated, C7 NPP valves are electronic.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:59 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I didn’t order NPP on purpose.For my taste way to quiet.I just went with B&B-PRT.It worked
Good.Then I went with ARH headers 1+7/8 now it can get quite loud.And that’s without WOT.
With WOT it will hurt whoever is behind the car.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:48 AM
Deez nutz
4th Gear

Originally Posted by thrilled
I didn’t order NPP on purpose.For my taste way to quiet.I just went with B&B-PRT.It worked
Good.Then I went with ARH headers 1+7/8 now it can get quite loud.And that’s without WOT.
Last night I was actually looking at the BBE website, I think the PRT is the way to go instead of the Bullet system. I also seen they have the Fusion system for non NPP cars that include the actuators, wiring etc for a NPP system to work on a non NPP car. But a bit pricey compared to the non NPP exhaust. Good chance I will get the PRT as well.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:39 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by thrilled
That's why I did go with the NPP...with my headers I can make it pleasingly loud in Track mode or super quiet in Stealth mode and essentially have the best of both worlds.

Get notified of new replies

To Will NPP work non-NPP?

Quick Reply: Will NPP work non-NPP?