C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have Z07 package with your Grand Sport, can you use non-carbon ceramic later?

Old 04-12-2017, 12:50 AM
Metalgearsolid_x
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Default If you have Z07 package with your Grand Sport, can you use non-carbon ceramic later?

just wondering, with the rebate on Z07 is very tempting. GM practically giving it away. If one buy a z07 Grand sport, but later decides to use regular metallic (well, performance non carbon rotor like DBA, Stoptech, Centric 125 etc) is that okay? Do the traction control/dynamic system relearns ? Also, same with tires.. What if the owner runs high perf summer street tires (200 tw) like RE-71, re-11, PSS4, Rival S etc..

thanks
Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Do a search in the C7 Z06 section to get a lot of info. Here's one such discussion:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-zo6-zo7.html

I'm sticking with my carbon ceramic setup, but there have been a number of Z07 owners that have gone cast iron.

There aren't a whole lot of options, but GiroDisc is one, as talked about in that thread linked above:

http://www.girodisc.com/C7-Z07_c_1345.html

Another option is AP Racing front cast iron while retaining your carbon ceramic in the rear - see post# 5 in that thread above where Bill Dearborn says that's what he has. Below is a picture of a C7 Z06 with cast iron rotors in the front but still has the carbon ceramics on the rear:

As far as tires, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires are really great!!! I got a set to run on the street and at my first track event in the car while getting used to it on the track, and the PSS ZP performed really well on the track. And it's a very good street tire that will give you MANY miles of wear. I've been running the stock Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP tires for the last few track events and they are FANTASTIC on the track!!

The Pilot Sport 4S isn't available in GS/Z06 sizes yet, and not in a ZP. When they're out, those will be the tires to run on the street or occasional track days. I used to track with Hoosiers on my C6 Z06, but after an on-track tire failure at about 140+mph with a ZP that was absolutely a non-event due to the ZP sidewalls, I will not run anything but a runflat on the street or track!!

If you do go cast iron, give me a holler when you want to sell your carbon ceramic rotors and pads!!! And if the car comes with Sport Cup 2 ZP's, I'll take them off your hands as well!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-12-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

carbon ceramic doesn't brake well on street right at first? needs to warm up.

does it make noises too? any negatives for daily driver? thinking about it, yeah the rebate...found a dealer 61.5k for 1LT. not bad!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

The TC system doesn't learn anything nor does it care what tire compound or brake system you use.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:50 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by okaythen
carbon ceramic doesn't brake well on street right at first? needs to warm up.

does it make noises too? any negatives for daily driver?...
I've been running carbon ceramic brakes for 30,000 miles or so on my ZR1 and now my C7 Z06/Z07.

I daily drive, do road trips, and have tracked both cars.

The brakes work FANTASTIC on the street or on the track.

They DO NOT need to warm up - they work great cold or hot (you need to do the burnishing procedure), and no noise.

If you track it, the carbon ceramic brakes are expensive consumables.

If you only run them on the street they'll last a looonnnggg time!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-20-2017 at 08:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEZ06:
C5-VERT (07-12-2019), okaythen (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I've been running carbon ceramic brakes for 30,000 miles or so on my ZR1 and now my C7 Z06/Z07.

I daily drive, do road trips, and have tracked both cars.

The brakes work FANTASTIC on the street or on the track.

They DO NOT need to warm up - they work great cold or hot (you need to do the burnishing procedure), and no noise.

If you track it, the carbon ceramic brakes are expensive consumables.

If you only run them on the street they'll last a looonnnggg time!!

Absolutely. For non track driving the rotors will probably last as long as the car lasts. The brakes work great on the street or track.

The problem for track junkies comes when you need to replace the parts. Current On Line prices for the rotors and pads are:

1,274.84 for a single front rotor
586.88 for the brake pads.

With shipping and any taxes your are looking at about $3250 for the parts delivered to your house. For that price you can afford to order the complete standard Z06 brake package (with calipers, rotors and pads) and save money. My front rotors lasted 13 track days. After 13 days they were still above minimum weight and thickness but not by much. It didn't take much math to determine purchasing the AP Racing Kit should have been the first thing I did when I prepped the car for the first track day. After spending $1K on pads for the first 13 days and looking at another $3.2K I decided to spend $5200 for the AP kit which has lower replacement costs for the rotors and pads (the pads cost about the same but they are one inch thick and last a lot longer). Even if I only get 13 days per rotor the lower replacement cost means it won't be more than two years before I break even. After that I will be ahead of the game. When it comes time to sell the car I can reinstall the stock system and sell the AP brakes separately to get some money back.

Bill
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Absolutely. For non track driving the rotors will probably last as long as the car lasts. The brakes work great on the street or track.

The problem for track junkies comes when you need to replace the parts. Current On Line prices for the rotors and pads are:

1,274.84 for a single front rotor
586.88 for the brake pads.

With shipping and any taxes your are looking at about $3250 for the parts delivered to your house.
Bill
Hey Bill

You are still running the OE carbon ceramic setup in the rear, and the AP Racing brakes are only in the front - is that correct?

Bob

Old 04-20-2017, 07:25 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Man went to look at the GS z07, was thinking about maybe asking if I can test drive then the guy was like so you want to go for a drive? lol I was like sure. car had 4 mile I put 11 more on it. went highway and local it was a lot of fun, car was really smooth, the sport mode the suspension is pretty comfortable actually, purposely ran over lane reflector things and it was comfortable not too bad.

I had the top off, but with it on and in quite exhaust mode, is it pretty quiet? maybe can barely hear it? in economy mode it's really quiet but I wasn't in eco long.

man the cornering is sharp, loved everything about the car. too bad local dealer won't match online dealer price. vent seems kinda cheap and plasticy, shifting was crisp and tight actually, also loved the rev match.

for GS z07 package they all offer 5k discount huh? I thought I was getting a special discount from dealer but I guess they are all offering it right now. wonder when it ends.

I probably won't track it , maybe once in a long long time. mostly just drag strip and canyon run spirited runs etc. So in those regard the z07 is probably useless to me huh? probably only used like 5% or less of what it can do, salesman was like if you don't track it you really don't need the z07, the regular GS is plentiful. wonder if I will look stupid when people see I got z07 but I don't track it heh.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by okaythen
...wonder if I will look stupid when people see I got z07 but I don't track it heh.
Absolutely NOT!!!

Many owners have the Z07 package on convertibles (including my brother-in-law's beautiful yellow vert):

There are very few track day organizations that will allow convertibles to run track events without a rollbar/cage, so essentially the many owners of Z07 verts will never take it to the track.

And....many Z07 coupe owners will never track their cars either!!

So....considering the carbon ceramic brakes will last a looonnnggg time if only driven on the street, I think a Z07 package will be great on a street only C7!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 04-20-2017 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
okaythen (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 03:01 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

thanks a lot! man I mean the carbon brakes just look so good man! z07 is the way to go! and dealer said if you get it aftermarket it will be at least 15k and just for rotors. man and with rims spokes that will look transparent when the car is in-motion, it's just so sexy.

so about 13 track days then you need to replace those, that lasted a long time right? how many track days will brakes last if it's non z07 or base z51.

for ride comfort , is the a difference between z07 and base z51's magnetic ride suspension?
Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 PM
Tyvw
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Do a search in the C7 Z06 section to get a lot of info. Here's one such discussion:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...7-zo6-zo7.html

I'm sticking with my carbon ceramic setup, but there have been a number of Z07 owners that have gone cast iron.

There aren't a whole lot of options, but GiroDisc is one, as talked about in that thread linked above:

http://www.girodisc.com/C7-Z07_c_1345.html

Another option is AP Racing front cast iron while retaining your carbon ceramic in the rear - see post# 5 in that thread above where Bill Dearborn says that's what he has. Below is a picture of a C7 Z06 with cast iron rotors in the front but still has the carbon ceramics on the rear:

As far as tires, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires are really great!!! I got a set to run on the street and at my first track event in the car while getting used to it on the track, and the PSS ZP performed really well on the track. And it's a very good street tire that will give you MANY miles of wear. I've been running the stock Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP tires for the last few track events and they are FANTASTIC on the track!!

The Pilot Sport 4S isn't available in GS/Z06 sizes yet, and not in a ZP. When they're out, those will be the tires to run on the street or occasional track days. I used to track with Hoosiers on my C6 Z06, but after an on-track tire failure at about 140+mph with a ZP that was absolutely a non-event due to the ZP sidewalls, I will not run anything but a runflat on the street or track!!

If you do go cast iron, give me a holler when you want to sell your carbon ceramic rotors and pads!!! And if the car comes with Sport Cup 2 ZP's, I'll take them off your hands as well!!

I'm considering buying a car that will have brand new Sport Cub 2 ZP's on it which I will not want.......If you want em, let's chat - I'm in FL tho - email Greg@kanrad.com - cell 727-433-3636

Get notified of new replies

To If you have Z07 package with your Grand Sport, can you use non-carbon ceramic later?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you have Z07 package with your Grand Sport, can you use non-carbon ceramic later?