C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please: C7 Z51 packing brake cable rubbing shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 04:42 PM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Help please: C7 Z51 packing brake cable rubbing shocks

On my 2015 Corvette Z51, there are some 1/2" (or so) encapsulating lines going from the bottom/rear of the diff assembly to the top middle of each rear wheel.

The lines are rubber most of the way but turn into metal ending near the wheels.

They have a steel cable running inside, which I'm nearly 100% sure it is the parking brake.

These lines run over and very close to the rear toe control link, and around and very close to the rear shocks.

I have some (tweety bird) tope noises coming from the rear area when the suspension flexes.

In trying to diagnose it I saw that the metal part of those lines were rubbing against the shocks. I tried bending them very slightly away from the shocks.

Near where the lines go over the toe control link there is a 4" long start-snapped rubber isolator on the line. That isolator can be moved back and forwards along the line.

Mine was sitting just being the toe control link on both sides - apparently doing nothing. I'd imagine those isolators are supposed to be positioned right where toe control link is to prevent line to control arm contact.

However it seem like it would be flexing that line up/down with suspension movement, which can't be good.

Question: Has anyone noticed where those isolators are in relation to the toe control link? Should I reposition mine right under it?

I'm about to go to Watkins Glenn and trying to avoid any issues.

Thank you in advance for any help. I posted picture below to illustrate.

(edited: I originally said the line was going over the lower control arm, but I think that is called the toe control link)

Last edited by baron95; 04-15-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:47 PM
baron95
Racer

Here is a picture I found on line which shows what I am talking about. It seems to show the isolator behind the toe link control. Is that the normal position?

Last edited by baron95; 04-15-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:43 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

My C5 developed a noise that had me worrying that a wheel bearing was going bad but it turned out to be a parking brake cable rubbing on the inside lip of the wheel.

What had happened is that a rubber isolator on the cable had slipped out of its bracket and allowed the cable to move around.

If if you follow the cable from the wheel towards the center of the car, you might find a rubber isolator and close by that a metal bracket that is supposed to be holding the isolator in place. I think you might need a 10mm socket to open up the bracket.

This is all all based on my experience on C5 and 6 construction, but I bet it's pretty similar.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:16 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by baron95
Here is a picture I found on line which shows what I am talking about. It seems to show the isolator behind the toe link control. Is that the normal position?

That should be centered on the toe link rod. It just slides along the cable. EZ fix.

Last edited by 08G8V8; 04-16-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:28 AM
baron95
Racer

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
That should be centered on the toe link rod. It just slides along the cable. EZ fix.
Thanks.

I moved mine (now over the link), but every single picture of a C7 suspension that I've found on line (including the one above from Edmunds C7 Suspension Walkaround) had those rubber isolators just hanging behind the link, not over it.

Wouldn't the link constantly pushing up and down on that line eventually make it fail? Seems to be an odd design.

Last edited by baron95; 04-18-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Check out the install instructions for the Granatelli toe links:

http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...s-3070-28.html

They tell you to make sure that is centered on the toe link.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts

http://granatellimotorsports.com/pro...s-3070-28.html

BTW AMT Motorsport is now carrying the Granatelli Toe Links, however we add locking plates and new hardware to remove the factory eccentric. I don't care where you install it, it can still move so we take that out of the equation.

We charge just a few bucks more to add the hardware and locking plates. I'm waiting on my photographer to take some quality pictures before I blast these on Corvette Forum, but they're in stock and ready to ship. You can follow this link to purchase from our website.

Last edited by Mark@AMT Motorsport; 04-17-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark@AMT Motorsport
BTW AMT Motorsport is now carrying the Granatelli Toe Links, however we add locking plates and new hardware to remove the factory eccentric. I don't care where you install it, it can still move so we take that out of the equation.

We charge just a few bucks more to add the hardware and locking plates. I'm waiting on my photographer to take some quality pictures before I blast these on Corvette Forum, but they're in stock and ready to ship. You can follow this link to purchase from our website.
Unfortunately I already purchased and installed mine.....but when I finally commit to your camber kit, I'll get a set of these added! Should have jumped on the pre-order list, but I drug my feet too long.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:50 AM
baron95
Racer

Thank you. That makes me feel much better that I have it on the right location like I thought.

I have no idea why both of mine were in the wrong location doing nothing, and the same was true of the Edmunds test car and a few other pictures of C7s that I have seen.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

OP, the line has to move up and down with suspension movement. All of the brake lines (hydraulic and parking) have to move up and down as the wheel is moving up and down. The designer decides where the best point is for the flexing to occur. Have you checked how the lines rub when the wheel is on the car and the full weight of the car is on the wheels with the suspension settled after driving the car? There may be more clearance than you think.

Bill
Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I had a similar interference, and last night I just gently bent the metal hose. It just complied, and I no longer have any interference! They are soft and very easy to shape; just don't push your luck : )
Old 04-26-2017, 12:15 AM
baron95
Racer

Yes, I slightly bent them as well to prevent interference and just did 2 days at Watkins Glen without issues - thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Help please: C7 Z51 packing brake cable rubbing shocks

Quick Reply: Help please: C7 Z51 packing brake cable rubbing shocks