C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car hacking test bench - what would you need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Car hacking test bench - what would you need?

A number of years ago I got out VehicleSpy and a ValueCAN and hacked on my E46 M3 long enough that I could get the top to go up and down from the keyfob (which wasn't a built in feature). I thought I'd make it into some kind of product, but the fun was just in doing it.

I thought about tinkering with the ecm and (more interesting) the body control module on the C7, and when I bought mine even redacted the section of the purchase agreement on reverse engineering (dealer didn't care that I crossed that out). But I still don't want to brick my ECM or BCM.

Again, there are features I'd like to add, like turning on the PDR to record every time I put the car in Drive. But it's not worth productizing it for a dozen people that'd buy it, it's just about the journey I think.

I'm wondering if anyone on the hardware end of things knows the "minimum" amount of hardware I'd need to set up a test bench. If I could find a totalled or burned C7, I was thinking:

ECM
BCM
Dash

Then connect the CAN bus wires and... would it work? Could you power it up and get the gauges to read 0 and be alive?

Or is there more to a 'minimal Corvette brain' I wonder?

Last edited by davepl; 04-16-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:09 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Sounds like a good guess. I would maybe get a clone MDI2 interface unit, and start hacking from there. I am sure a lot of different things could be done if you figure out how to reprogram the BCM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:30 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

There's one guy already doing BCM reprogramming, so I know it -can- be done. It'd also be interesting if we could hack the magride tables and soften Tour, for example.

What could I do with the MDI2 that I can't do with a generical "ValueCAN"? It would imagine that teamed up with the right GM software it can do some fancy stuff, but I've never been clear on when you really need a J2534 interface. After all, HPTuners doesn't need to go through one... so when do you need it? What for? Please fill me in!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:14 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,151 Likes on 3,380 Posts

I hope someone comes up with an aftermarket/hacked module. There are several things I'd like to see (I'm not a computer guy so I don't know how feasible these are):
1) As mentioned, have an option for the PDR to start automatically and record continuously. I'd also like an option to disable interior recording.
2) Index the windows down when the hatch is opened and close the windows when the hatch is closed so I can close it without slamming the *#@&% out of it.
3) Have the HUD display customizable with both the existing options and additional items. For example, allow it to display the information from my radar detector.
4) Allow me to display my rear view camera while I'm driving forward.
5) Allow the car to be in track mode when started if it was in track mode when turned off.
6) Allow me to customize my security settings. For example, if I have it set to lock automatically when I exit the car with my key, don't set off the alarm is it senses another key in the car and senses interior motion (you'll only do this once if you've left your wife in the car).
7) Keep the NPP valves open all of the time when the exhaust is in track mode.
8) Allow the infotainment presets to be used for driving mode settings. For example, have a "radio" preset that toggles the NPP between track and standard instead of having to go through the settings menu.
9) Have something similar to Navtool (or Android Auto) that wirelessly connects to your phone but allows you to control the phone from the infotainment display.
10) Allow more customization of the DIC.
I'm sure others have things they would like to see. It sure would be nice to be able to take control of my car.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:21 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Good ideas!

I had a provisional patent on (2) about 10 or so years ago, filed it after buying my C6Z that lacked the hatch pulldown. Never pursued it past that, though.

Number (4) works in my Range Rover, you can use it as a mirror of sorts.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:44 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,151 Likes on 3,380 Posts

Thanks. I'm sure other people will have some of their own. I think (4) is an option in newer C7s but no upgrade is available. Oh, and I forgot to list an AFM disabler.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:54 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

It would also be nice to be able to check a box to disable V4 mode for when the A8 is in Drive mode.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:22 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I'd be all over the, leave the thing in the last mode it was in, mod. At least that way you wouldn't have to cycle through so many steps to get to Track mode, and PTMs
Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

- Change the Auto-Headlight default to OFF.

- Change the Auto Climate control AC compressor default to OFF. Or change it that is stays OFF when you restart the car.

- When car is OFF, disable the hidden compartment button.

Get notified of new replies

To Car hacking test bench - what would you need?

Quick Reply: Car hacking test bench - what would you need?