C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you go auto vs manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:33 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Fun!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:57 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales@Edgyvette
From ZO6 Fast list- M7 cars
3rd fastest stock/stock tire
1st stock/non stock tire
1st bolt on/any tire

Food for thought
It'd be tastier food if it was true though. Check the list.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:27 AM
-Diablo
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2017 vert 2LT A8. You must anticipate your shifts with the paddles. Simple... shift early... problem solved. Other than that, love the new car and the A8. Everyday car not a lot of traffic but love the auto shift in sport mode. When it shifts you know it, like bang, then pulling you back in the seat. Thrill a minute! I'm 50 so I wanted to get the faster A8 (faster is still faster). All new vettes are awesome, use will determine shifting choice unless you're uber young and want to be cool buying new tires. This car does it all except snow! Love it! Go American made baby!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:32 AM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
It'd be tastier food if it was true though. Check the list.
Just realized they are not updating the first table but rather making other tables later in the thread. M7 still holds the second position on the stock/w non stock tire.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

This is my first Vette with an auto. Figured I would give it a try since everyone one is saying how much faster the A8 is and the technology has come along a lot in the past five years. Also the auto in my AMG is FANTASTIC!

Also sitting in South Florida traffic can be brutal at times with a stick... in all honesty I miss the stick in the Vette, the A8 so far has been great and I have no complaints, its not as good as the one in my AMG but it works extremely well.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:14 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Siva, you quoted a bunch of stuff that isn't me - I didn't say anything about rentals, etc...
Oops, looks like Desmophile (who I intended to quote) was quoting something else you said, and when I quoted him to respond, it filled you in as the poster. I edited the post in question to reflect that
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM
trakmnky
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a 14 M7 with 550whp. Almost at the point of selling it as it's the worst shifting car I've owned.

It drives great as a daily driver and is a lot of fun but as soon as I start to push it the 2-3 shift almost never works. Before everyone tells me it's because I don't know what I'm doing I race a manual a couple times a month with SCCA. Going to start digging into it as it either needs to improve or it's being replaced with an auto.

In my opinion they screwed up when then went to the M7. The 6 speed is perfect, that extra gate really screws things up. The move to the M7 was purely a marketing move. It's a royal PITA when downshifting from 7th to 6th or if you want to skip gears ie. 1 to 3 to 5 or 2 to 4 to 6 as the extra gate makes it more difficult.

Test drive one on the freeway and drop from 7th to 6th like your going to pass a couple of times. You'll see real quick what that extra gate/gear does. Shifting from 4th to 5th or 7th to 5th can be a challenge at times as well.

If you're not going to track it I wouldn't even consider the M7. The auto is quicker and more convenient to drive.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM
harmRSP
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And I chose the A8 because I'm under 50.

If you want the fastest Vette, get the fastest Vette: The LT4-A8. There is no other.

If you feel like the kind of guy who likes to move cockpit levers for things like changing transmission ratio, fuel-air mixture, timing lead, and so on, then pull on your leather cap and goggles and order the slower M7.

Just be ready to explain to all passengers why it gurgles like a coffee can of rocks at slow speeds.

I traded my manual against this automatic, and I have a non-GM DCT as well (and still two Tremecs in the garage), so I speak from experience. Each has their place.

Others will say the opposite. And that's because, despite how many of these threads get created, there is no right answer. Only a right answer for you, and that's up to you.

Peer pressure will push you to the M7 if you listen hard enough and if you're susceptible to that sort of thing.

I picked the auto because I'm younger than 30. The 7 speed manual is one of the best I've ever owned, but you really have to justify being .5 second slower through the 1/4 mile than your auto counterpart. For me, the most racing I'll do is stop light to stop light or an occasional friday night test and tune, so when I do those things, I want to have the fastest vehicular package possible and that involves me removing my left foot and right hand from the equation.

Last edited by harmRSP; 05-18-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:42 PM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

I went auto on my C7 because i drove/raced manual cars for 20 years and just simply found no more fun in it. Last year I sold my Nitrous'd/cammed C6 Z06 for a C7 because I wanted something newer and smoother.

Everyone talks about how crappy the 6 speed autos are but I'll tell you, this car has given me Zero issues. I just installed long tubes and cai (waiting on tune). This is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven. Another reason I went auto was for bracket racing at the track and because it leaves the manual cars (of equal power) sitting still at the start line......
Old 05-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by George Rivera
I went auto on my C7 because i drove/raced manual cars for 20 years and just simply found no more fun in it. Last year I sold my Nitrous'd/cammed C6 Z06 for a C7 because I wanted something newer and smoother.

Everyone talks about how crappy the 6 speed autos are but I'll tell you, this car has given me Zero issues. I just installed long tubes and cai (waiting on tune). This is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven. Another reason I went auto was for bracket racing at the track and because it leaves the manual cars (of equal power) sitting still at the start line......
If you have a 6 speed auto then you must have a 2014. Everyone complains about the 8 speed in the 15+. Nothing wrong with the 6 speed auto, I like it too, it's just slower at WOT.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:23 PM
Vyper340
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Faster and traffic is so bad with poor driving habits that it just made sense. Have driven manuals and still have them for many years in world class sports cars so tried this for a change. Would also have the PDK in the new 911 Turbo S. It cannot be beat.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:25 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

In auto vs. manual threads like these, the reality is there are few dedicated HPDE guys, and nearly everyone else that talks about a manual on the track is a poser. Most of the pro-manual comments are me-too! me-too! peer pressure.

Truth be told, most of late baby boomers started out with auto trans sports cars because the most available hand-me-down or used cars had autos. My '67, & '69 Firebird and '78 T/A were autos, as most of my friends street machines were autos.

Only much later on did I have manuals, and it was because of peer pressure. "Yes" I drank the Kool-Aid.

This time, I said F* to the peer pressure and went back to an auto, and man, am I ever glad I did! I remember now the fun we had as young men with auto trans; driving with both feet, brake & throttle, concentrating on driving hard without getting all wrapped up in mechanics of shifting.

The A8 is a tour de force. It's always right were it needs to be when I need it to be there. If I want to interrupt the process, such as to engine brake, the paddles are always there. Otherwise, the A8 knows it's job, and does it well. I let it do it's thing while I drive the car!

Last edited by fnbrowning; 05-20-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I choose a manual for my fourth Corvette for one reason. To drive a sports car the way they were meant to be. An automatic in a Corvette is like banging with a condom, your almost there but not quite.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:37 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
...it's just slower at WOT.
Higgs or someone, can you splain this to me? how could it be slower at WOT?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:40 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
In auto vs. manual threads like these, the reality is there are few dedicated HPDE guys, and nearly everyone else that talks about a manual on the track is a poser. Most of the pro-manual comments are me-too! me-too! peer pressure.

Truth be told, most of late baby boomers started out with auto trans sports cars because the most available hand-me-down or used cars had autos. My '67, & '69 Firebird and '78 T/A were autos, as most of my friends street machines were autos.

Only much later on did I have manuals, and it was because of peer pressure. "Yes" I drank the Kool-Aid.

This time, I said F* to the peer pressure and went back to an auto, and man, am I ever glad I did! I remember now the fun we had as young men with auto trans; driving with both feet, brake & throttle, concentrating on driving hard without getting all wrapped up in mechanics of shifting.

The A8 is a tour de force. It's always right were it needs to be when I need it to be there. If I want to interrupt the process, such as to engine brake, the paddles are always there. Otherwise, the A8 knows it's job, and does it well. I let it do it's thing while I drive the car!
Never any peer pressure here, I am a rebel. I never purchase anything because someone else did.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiefP
Higgs or someone, can you splain this to me? how could it be slower at WOT?
The A6 vs A8 I mean. Simply due to shift speed at WOT will give up time to the A8. I think the A8 transfers power more efficiently as well. The A6 feels way better at everything other than WOT.

As a side note, I spent some time driving the new Raptor (a few days) and the A10 is much better, I imagine it would be in the ZL1, too. It has the ability to skip gears which means it does not constantly shift up and down like the A8. Much better part throttle feel and more choices for the computers to choose from. Didn't notice any hesitations, etc.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I don't think the A6 is really any slower and the time slips on here probably reflect that. It's just different. A planetary auto is gonna have some gear overlap as it switches to the next gear. The A6 shifts slower, but that doesn't necessarily mean it spends more time off throttle. I also think the A8, while it shifts faster, has a tad more aggressive torque management between gears. This is what makes it "pop" more than the A6, and more like an M7 no lift speed shifting. The LT1 has a torque curve that's quite flat, so you're gonna get significant diminishing returns with more gears. It just doesn't need 8 gears.

As for the original question, I went M7 primarily because it was $1800 less. I'm a lifer manual driver, so it seemed like a no brainer. On a track I have no problem keeping up with you A8 guys, so bring your brochures to remind me that my car is slower.

Get notified of new replies

To Why did you go auto vs manual?

Old 05-24-2017, 08:32 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

i am old school and getting older. as far as i am concerned, corvettes need to have 3 pedals, my 17 gs with 3 pedals is fantastic, no longer give a crap about being "fastest", just need that connection that only 3 pedals and a gear shift can deliver.

have owned auto vettes, and not driven a8, someday may own another auto, just not this time around. heck, still think i am 16 running through the gears in my hot rod chevelle .........:
The following users liked this post:
jabeasley1 (05-27-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 12:53 AM
GeorgeR_Zed06
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
If you have a 6 speed auto then you must have a 2014. Everyone complains about the 8 speed in the 15+. Nothing wrong with the 6 speed auto, I like it too, it's just slower at WOT.
Yeah I kick myself in the butt for not going with an A8 car but honestly, this one isn't too bad because I use a TSW light weight wheel with 315 MT's and the tires are 2" shorter than stock so gives me a lil more gear for quicker shifts. It my homemade eight speed
Old 06-05-2017, 09:17 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by George Rivera
Yeah I kick myself in the butt for not going with an A8 car but honestly, this one isn't too bad because I use a TSW light weight wheel with 315 MT's and the tires are 2" shorter than stock so gives me a lil more gear for quicker shifts. It my homemade eight speed
I wouldn't feel bad for having the A6 at all. Those that have driven both cannot say that the A8 is significantly better unless they're rationalizing their A8 purchase. Plus, you're not gonna have to replace TCs every 10k miles. I don't think I'd even wanna own an A8 at this point. Way too risky once they're out of warranty unless you're confident you can swap in a fresh TC in your garage every couple years. If you feel it doesn't shift fast enough, get a TCM tune. It can shift faster.

Quick Reply: Why did you go auto vs manual?