C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you go auto vs manual?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:20 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

My reason for buying an automatic over a manual is threefold...

First, I have bad knees due to my Army service.

Secondly, the traffic I typically encounter on the East Coast is not conducive to enjoying the thrill of driving a manual.

Lastly, there isn't much of a performance penalty with automatics now. Heck, the automatics in modern Corvettes (C5 through C7) shift faster than a human can in most cases.

Nothing wrong with having either transmission. It's about personal preference. YMMV.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:12 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Hutch66
Well, I test drove both and is was no comparison. The automatic was dreadful, especially in a high performance car.
The manual: one shift 2nd. to 3rd and was sold.
Whereas I don't think the old rowboat has any place in a modern performance car. Technology left it behind a decade ago. They're slower, don't require more skill (let's face it), and there's just no real benefit.

I can't think of a single benefit. "Driver involvement" doesn't count because you can paddle shift, it's the same deal, just a different way of changing to the next ratio, but you're still in command.

I guess like chrome wheels there's always a place for nostalgia though. Buy whatever you like, I'll still salute it if it's a Z.
The following users liked this post:
lakemg (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 08:42 PM
daveyboy
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Whereas I don't think the old rowboat has any place in a modern performance car. Technology left it behind a decade ago. They're slower, don't require more skill (let's face it), and there's just no real benefit.

I can't think of a single benefit. "Driver involvement" doesn't count because you can paddle shift, it's the same deal, just a different way of changing to the next ratio, but you're still in command.

I guess like chrome wheels there's always a place for nostalgia though. Buy whatever you like, I'll still salute it if it's a Z.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic...to each their own, but IMHO:

--It absolutely takes more skill to drive a manual.
--There are benefits depending on what your priorities are (same could be said of an auto).
--It is much more involving as it gives you options that are not possible with an auto.

Again, I don't care what other people choose, only what is in my car.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:25 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by daveyboy

Not sure if you are being sarcastic...to each their own, but IMHO:

--It absolutely takes more skill to drive a manual.
--There are benefits depending on what your priorities are (same could be said of an auto).
--It is much more involving as it gives you options that are not possible with an auto.

Again, I don't care what other people choose, only what is in my car.
I'm being argumentative for the sake of it, but not sarcastic. Once you've figure out how to change gears on Day 3 of Driver Training, where's the skill? It's in WHEN you change gears, not how. You can do that with either car.

Or do you think it's more skillful and involving to do it with a foot clutch? Seems like that's pretty easy to me.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:55 PM
0Cajun @ Edgyvette
Former Vendor

Received 393 Likes on 286 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12'-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I'm being argumentative for the sake of it, but not sarcastic. Once you've figure out how to change gears on Day 3 of Driver Training, where's the skill? It's in WHEN you change gears, not how. You can do that with either car.

Or do you think it's more skillful and involving to do it with a foot clutch? Seems like that's pretty easy to me.

Not sure there is any argument to be had in that point. Case in point a novice vs. practiced driver in an A8 vs. M7 I can guarantee you the times on a track or in the 1/4 mile will have much more delta in the M7. Hence "skill" differential.

I guess if I had to sum it up it would be this way......A8=Faster; M7=Funner If that is actually a word

I have 1 x A8 C7, 1 X A8 Grand Sport, and 2 x M7 ZO6. For me I will never have another Automatic unless they stop making M7. Sure I will get beat at the 1/4 mile because I am not willing to launch my car at high RPM enough on drag radials to get excellent launches. I will say this....... HP being equal I dont think an A8 is going to beat me on the highway from a 2-3-4 gear pull or at least I have not run into one that I didnt put 2 cars on up to 135 yet No lift to shift is pretty cool
The following users liked this post:
TXSTICK (04-01-2021)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:08 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

I'll grant that in drag racing, launching the car requires much more skill with the M7 than an A8. Without a doubt.

I was thinking of road course and street driving, where (to me at least) there's no more fun or skill involved than there is with the A8.

I like them both, but don't think the M7 is "more fun", or I would have ordered my Z that way. I have two TKO-600s and an M20 in the stable, so I do like them for more retro muscle cars, just not in my modern cars.

I think each has their place. I really only push back on this notion of "One is better than the other", or "One makes you manly", that sort of nonsense.

Last edited by davepl; 06-18-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:57 PM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Heel and toe is fun. Can't do that in an auto. The extra driver involvement does it for me.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:55 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Just think of it as driving a motorcycle, yea i would go with the manual, of course
very true, indeed
Old 03-05-2020, 11:34 PM
Corvette-Dan
Drifting

Received 172 Likes on 101 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by C7&7
I chose a m7 because I am a man under 80.
I chose an auto because I'm a drag racer at heart and the autos are quicker. Also, unlike most men under 80, I actually give a rats *** about my wife, so considered her too. That alone gave me the green light to buy a second Vette despite the fact that I am not rich like many here. I'll take two autos over none at all.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:56 AM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 224 Likes on 118 Posts

My C6 was a manual and I've always owned a stick shift sports car since the 70s but decided to try the A8 for my final sports car. No complaints so far.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Never realized there were so many people who cared about the extra tenth of a second of speed that the auto has over the M7. I love the feeling of a well executed shift and also have a stick in my daily driver Subaru. I love to manually shift gears.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:01 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Traffic in Houston sucks. Corvettes have been my daily driver for over 40 years and not fighting that clutch.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:16 PM
TigerVette
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Had the stick in the ‘99 and the ‘09 and both were fun. Chose to go the A8 route with the new technology. The quicker Vette wasn’t a deal breaker. 😜
Old 03-11-2020, 08:34 PM
Fodowsky
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Loved having an M in the past. My Boxster S was the best and lots of fun. With this Z06, I wanted the A so more of my family could drive it.

Quick Reply: Why did you go auto vs manual?