C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMS drop in filter for C7 Stingray - Need a couple testers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:41 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Well, I've already done a track day with it, and another one is coming up in a week. I can get it dynoed yet again and see if the gain is still there : )

Since the engine runs in not so ideal conditions (hot) at the track, I'm hoping that whatever learning for WOT would need to happen, would happen.

Last edited by X25; 09-30-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine just showed up for my 2016 zo6- is it supposed to be white? I thought they were green ?
Old 10-04-2017, 12:48 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savage

Mine just showed up for my 2016 zo6- is it supposed to be white? I thought they were green ?
never mind ! its suppose to be white, i had a green one for my last car ! lol
Old 10-06-2017, 12:14 AM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

lol it's a paper element filter for maximum filtration, and is definitely not green.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 PM
savage
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
lol it's a paper element filter for maximum filtration, and is definitely not green.
i received it thursday, took a one hundred mile drive friday, drove saturday about 120 miles with a autocross in the middle of those miles( lots of WOT ) and no lights , ect on my 2016 zo6 A8-- so i guess im good ?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 PM
konqueror5
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anybody installed this filter and tuned for it? I'm getting a set of longtubes put on soon and was going to get a CAI but plan to SC down the road. With that in mind I was thinking to keep the stock intake and just drop in the filter. I'd like to think this will also keep any gains seen since tuning will set AFR and the ECU won't adjust it
Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

We've sold a bunch and had good feedback reported. Wish we'd get more reviews on the forum to help spread the good word.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM
konqueror5
Instructor

I am surprised to see just one person post dyno results. I could post mine when the time comes but I’d be doing the Headers at the same time. Not going to baseline, filter and tune, then Headers and tune. Getting it all tuned together. There’d be no way to justify the filter resulting in X hp.

Is there a reason why there is no advertised gain on the LT1 yet? Was there any testing done at all with the LT1? For the money I’m willing to try it but I have been told by a reputable vendor to spend the money elsewhere. If that many folks are buying these and have had success with them, how come CAIs still seem so popular.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

It's an $89 drop in filter that has been shown to give decent gains on the dyno. What else are you going to buy for the car? lol.

We don't advertise much on the LT1 front since it's like 1/10th of the Z06 business. So the extent of it is me chiming in to this thread every now and again.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 01-17-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:59 AM
konqueror5
Instructor

It's an $89 drop in filter that has been shown to give decent gains on the dyno. What else are you going to buy for the car? lol.

We don't advertise much on the LT1 front since it's like 1/10th of the Z06 business. So the extent of it is me chiming in to this thread every now and again.
at $89 there's nothing else you can buy. I think they were suggesting putting it towards something they have used and repeatedly seen gains on. Some products have been on the market for years.

I have an Amazon gift card from Christmas and searched for your filter online. It comes up as $109 +10 shipping with BMS as the vendor??? Do I need to purchase through some other avenue for the $89 price? Wanted to use the gift cards on this.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,711 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by konqueror5
at $89 there's nothing else you can buy. I think they were suggesting putting it towards something they have used and repeatedly seen gains on. Some products have been on the market for years.

I have an Amazon gift card from Christmas and searched for your filter online. It comes up as $109 +10 shipping with BMS as the vendor??? Do I need to purchase through some other avenue for the $89 price? Wanted to use the gift cards on this.

https://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Perf...orts+c7+filter
Here's a reusable dry filter for $93, best of both worlds in my opinion. I've been using AFE's filters and intakes for years and have had very good results, plus love how easy it is to clean their dry media.
Amazon Amazon

Just my opinion, I have no skin in the game, only trying to help

Last edited by Kracka; 01-18-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:42 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

As I posted some months ago,I was one of the original testers.

I tested the L to R,BMS,OE & K&N.

I've had the BMS in my '17 LT1 for a year,3k miles.

The BMS is of high quality and I chose it over the other 2.

\db2
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
konqueror5 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 10:58 AM
konqueror5
Instructor

My understanding is the BMS filter is unique because it isn't the filter media that is necessarily giving the gains, but the designed larger base opening. I don't want a filter that allows more contaminates through. In Dbaker's photo we can easily see the opening is larger which we would assume means more airflow. I haven't seen any other filters that accomplish the increased air flow this way.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:15 AM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I have it in my Magnuson supercharged GS. I installed both together therefore I don't have filter only results. I am however getting .3-.5 higher psi than what Magnuson told me, the filter could account for that slight increase due to having less restriction on the intake side
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 894 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Here's a reusable dry filter for $93, best of both worlds in my opinion. I've been using AFE's filters and intakes for years and have had very good results, plus love how easy it is to clean their dry media.
https://www.amazon.com/aFe-11-10132-...ilter+corvette

Just my opinion, I have no skin in the game, only trying to help
Anybody know if the AFE is as big or bigger than the BMS filter? I guess the main selling point of the disposable BMS filter is size.
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:43 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport
Anybody know if the AFE is as big or bigger than the BMS filter? I guess the main selling point of the disposable BMS filter is size.
Thanks.
AFE uses slightly bigger housing that throws MAF reading off a bit, leaning out the engine, increasing power.

BMS also has a very similar effect not because it fools MAF sensor like AFE, but since apparently enlarging the opening of the filter smooths out the air flow more than MAF 'expects' per stock tune, thereby causing it to underestimate the air mass, and effectively leaning out and increasing power. It was mentioned before that stock engine runs about 8% richer than ideal, and this filter leans it out by 4-5% or so, making it more ideal while not running too lean.

All this information was already captured in treads. I would personally never pay $$$$ for an air intake while there's this cheap alternative that does almost the same thing. After all, even the stock system is effectively cold air intake.

Last edited by X25; 01-18-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by X25
AFE uses slightly bigger housing that throws MAF reading off a bit, leaning out the engine, increasing power.

BMS also has a very similar effect not because it fools MAF sensor like AFE, but since apparently enlarging the opening of the filter smooths out the air flow more than MAF 'expects' per stock tune, thereby causing it to underestimate the air mass, and effectively leaning out and increasing power. It was mentioned before that stock engine runs about 8% richer than ideal, and this filter leans it out by 4-5% or so, making it more ideal while not running too lean.

All this information was already captured in treads. I would personally never pay $$$$ for an air intake while there's this cheap alternative that does almost the same thing. After all, even the stock system is effectively cold air intake.

I see you have posted the dyno plot from your build thread - 8.5 horsepower peak and solid gains from 4000 rpms is impressive from someone legit and unbiased.
Thanks for posting this.

Last edited by fatsport; 01-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
X25 (10-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To BMS drop in filter for C7 Stingray - Need a couple testers

Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 PM
fatsport
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Terry@BMS

Why are you not marketing this for LT1? Pretty sure there are 4-5 times (than LT4) more potential customers out there looking for drop in horsepower.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,711 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Originally Posted by fatsport
Terry@BMS

Why are you not marketing this for LT1? Pretty sure there are 4-5 times (than LT4) more potential customers out there looking for drop in horsepower.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:46 PM
snork
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

I replaced my stock air filter with a BMS filter and I noticed a screen on the post side of the filter
Has anyone removed the screen and was there any difference in air flow regarding to restriction
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: BMS drop in filter for C7 Stingray - Need a couple testers